• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is it just me.... (Regarding ANN Ad)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greennunu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:
First off I wasn't sure where to place this or if there is even a place this but somethings been bothering me the last couple days when entering this site and that is this particular ad;

Either I'm some kind of sick screwed up pervert or RightStuf was going for that whole "sex sells" approach. The position and angle of the girl with the snake type monster sticking out looks a little wrong. At first I couldn't put my finger on it. I felt something didn't look right in this page, and then I realized this ad. Does anyone actually look at these ads before they are placed on the website? Or does ANN figure since they've been good before, they can be trusted.

I don't want to say I find this offensive, cause I don't I think it's funny, but I think those over-protective parents will trip over something like this.

I don't find it disturbing or very sexual, The ad's by Anime castle have been more sexual than anything else rightstuf put out.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone from Right Stuf is reading this thread. I'm sure they're getting a kick out of it, if they are. I've met some of their reps and they seem like a pretty fun bunch.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:
I still have a question though. Do the people who posts these add look at them from our, or maybe I should speak for myself, my point of view? You know the dirty mided people. There are kids who enter these forums. I've seen a lot of posts that say "I don't watch Hentai cause I'm not old enough". And yeah that is a very lazy add... or did they act lazy to cover up their blue penis monster?

I always give the ads a cursory glance before posting them. That being said, sometimes I miss something, or make a bad judgement call.

But I have turned down ads in the past.

As for ANN's official rule on sexually suggestive material.
Quote:
Anime News Network requires that any ads placed on ANN not be considered vulgar by the average North American reader. The editors of ANN reserve the final say in this subjective matter, as well as the right to refuse any advertisement on these grounds, either when the advertisement is uploaded, or retroactively.

What I've told several advertisors is that "sexually suggestive" is okay, but "sexually explicit" is not. Anything in between will be judged on a case by case basis.

In the case of that ad, it never even ocurred to me that the snake was sexually suggestive. In fact, it still doesn't ocurr to me, I see why people might think that, but I think they're reading a bit too much into it.

-t
porcupyne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
please don't bring kids into the argument. children are often exploited in this way (especially here in the US). people who are against anything sexual will say that it is harmful to children, but how many children are going to "get it" without an explanation from an adult. like the incident involving jerry falwell and the teletubbies...just how many preschool/elementary age children even understand the concept of homosexuality? they say that video games cause violent behavior, but how many incidents of violence in the world are directly tied to video games (explain violence in 3rd world countries where video games barely exist; conversely, why aren't industrialized countries, whose kids were raised on video games, made up of serial killers?). music has also been targeted throughout the ages. they blamed rock and roll for youth deliquency back in the days. nowadays, they blame rap.

adults and parents blame anything and anyone but themselves for their bad parenting. so what if rightstuf makes a sexually explicit ad and so what if ann advertises it. in the end, it all comes down to parents raising their children properly.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:

Either I'm some kind of sick screwed up pervert or RightStuf was going for that whole "sex sells" approach.
If one looks closer The Princess Kalm, from Outlanders, has her legs crossed left to right, and one can see some more of the monster's neck just behind her....behind. So I think it's the former here.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
I seem to recall an old banner ad that had an actual Japanese girl bending over for a schoolgirl panty shot. If it weren't 5 AM, I might remember where this was from, but I'm tempted to say J-List.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
In the case of that ad, it never even ocurred to me that the snake was sexually suggestive. In fact, it still doesn't ocurr to me, I see why people might think that, but I think they're reading a bit too much into it.

I completely agree. There's a Danish proverb that is particularly apt: For den rene er alting rent ("To the pure, everything is pure.")

Corollary: To American televangelists, everything is smut.

porcupyne wrote:
please don't bring kids into the argument. children are often exploited in this way (especially here in the US). people who are against anything sexual will say that it is harmful to children, but how many children are going to "get it" without an explanation from an adult. like the incident involving jerry falwell and the teletubbies...just how many preschool/elementary age children even understand the concept of homosexuality? they say that video games cause violent behavior, but how many incidents of violence in the world are directly tied to video games (explain violence in 3rd world countries where video games barely exist; conversely, why aren't industrialized countries, whose kids were raised on video games, made up of serial killers?). music has also been targeted throughout the ages. they blamed rock and roll for youth deliquency back in the days. nowadays, they blame rap.

adults and parents blame anything and anyone but themselves for their bad parenting. so what if rightstuf makes a sexually explicit ad and so what if ann advertises it. in the end, it all comes down to parents raising their children properly.

I agree with most of the sentiments you just expressed here... but I wish that you'd taken the time to write them in something remotely approximating proper English orthography.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2