• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus Games' Hiraoka: Business to Continue as Before

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
If this means that Atlus USA will keep on going as per usual (and it sounds like thats going to happen), I'm totally fine with this, and glad that someone else didn't get them and ruin localization of games (Looks at Gut's acquisition by Tecmo and the Atelier games).
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
We can only hope this official statement actually becomes true, only time will tell.

Still, future loos extremely uncertain no matter how you wanna see it and how much we are told things are not going to change, one only needs to look at what has happened to sega´s franchises, look at Valkyria Chronicles, look at PS, look at Yakuza, the danger of localizations getting fewer and fewer over time is too real, more considering Atlus franchises are extremely niche, and sega´s message has been loud and clear with VC and the latest and most likely upcoming Yakuza game, Sega has very niche titles like the shining series, anyone care to tell me how many of those got localized?

I can very well play them in japanese, but this is no good for those that cannot, and even then, I am worried about SMT spin offs quietly disappearing over time, persona might be ok, main SMT might be made but who knows if localized, I am sure Catherine would have never made it our of Japan if it was a sega title, but what about super mega niche titles like devil summoner or what about Etrian Odyssey? They could very well disappear, same as the very niche titles Atlus USA has published and localized in the US...

Last edited by dan9999 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The best possible news is if Sega will let Atlus localize their stuff. Being so closed off from not allowing others to do so, would be awesome to see a comeback! I'm a little tired of Atlus publishing poor western games. Only a few localizers already and I guess they need something to tie them over, but Cursed Crusade and Game of Thrones were bad ideas Sad
If we see more Yakuza, Shining series, Valkyria, and Phantasy Star, then let this be the best purchase ever!
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

If we see more Yakuza, Shining series, Valkyria, and Phantasy Star, then let this be the best purchase ever!

This is ideal BUT Sega has clearly stated those games dont sell what they want thus NOT LOCALIZED anymore. See the issue here, Atlus games sell moderately too, so Sega could very well carry its policies of not localizing games which profit is not satisfactory to Atlus.

Not localizing Yakuza 5 is merely due to profits (dame as VC3), Sega does not need Atlus USA to localize them, they simply said Sega wont do it as they are too niche and sell poorly.

You are talking about Atlus, a company that celebrates with a cake 200k copies sold...Crying or Very sad

Also worrisome, Sega Sammy loves mobile and pachinko crap, instead of Etryan Odyssey V Sega could very well tell Atlus to bring SMT to mobiles, not even mentioning localizing(EOV I mean) it if it ever gets made.

However I want o believe Sega wont bother Atlus and on the contrary use Atlus USA to publish and localize some of Sega's own franchises.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
They've already brought SMT and Persona to mobiles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
As long as Atlus series don't do an 'Atelier Ayesha' I'll be good.

The game is great, but the translation job created the dialogue into a bore fest. And some of the text boxes (the ones with the alchemy skills and their descriptions) don't fit the text that's running out of the box. Even the voice actors would be great if their lines weren't so bad.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
They've already brought SMT and Persona to mobiles.

With main focus and instead of real games or ditching very niche franchises like mentioned (etrian odyssey) to develop and focus instead on the mobile market.

Heck, buying index to focus on smartphones was mentioned as motivation ...
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
As long as Atlus series don't do an 'Atelier Ayesha' I'll be good.

The game is great, but the translation job created the dialogue into a bore fest. And some of the text boxes (the ones with the alchemy skills and their descriptions) don't fit the text that's running out of the box. Even the voice actors would be great if their lines weren't so bad.

I didn't have any issues with Atelier Ayesha, it was a great game.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
As long as we get games like normal, Im cool with it. (and not like 1 for every 10)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1