• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto [and its filler. What's your opinion?]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I dont mind them but then agien I am all caught up with it so its not like OMG i have 20+ eps to watch.
There not that bad I like seing the side characters who arent normaly in the series. ie Choji and Hinata.
Cant wait for it to end thu I hear Kakashi Gaiden is well worth the wait.
still buying the Manga I dont like scantlations I hate sitting in front of my computer reading manga. Only series I have scantlations of Is Berserk since Dark Horse is going to take a long time to get caught up still buying there release and also the jp releases of what Im reading scantlation wise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Geez, people are still complaining about the Naruto fillers! You are obviously the people who are downloading the series, and while I in NO WAY encourage illegal downloading, keep this in mind while watching those fillers to ease your pain: you get what you pay for!
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I think the main gripe everyone has with the fillers is the severe drop in animation and story quality. You HAVE to expect fillers for long running anime shows based on a manga. Otherwise the anime would eventually catch up to the manga and the producers then have 2 choices:

1. make up their own story (a la Rurouni Kenshin)

2. make fillers to give the manga time to develop (and also to stretch the franchise out more = muchos money Anime smile )

3. end the series or put the series on hiatus and release a new season once the manga has developed enough.

Obviously, the smart business move is option 2. Naruto has built up such a huge fanbase that even if they produce 50+ filler eps, majority of fans will still watch them... regardless of the quality.

Here's an idea. Sick of Naruto filler? Go outside and enjoy the summer! Get a job! Earn some money and spend it on all the things you've always wanted to buy! Do some sports!
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that Naruto was my favorite anime at one point in my life. There, I was a Narutard or Naruto Fanboy if you will. However, pretty much when the fillers started showing I really started to dislike the anime. It's not the fact that it's "the fillers" because I'm not familiar with the manga or original storyline, but just that the story and writing was so bad overall that I couldn't help notice something had gone seriously wrong with the series. Naruto had some decent substance in the first 100 episodes or so with some interesting character development and plot. Food ninjas et al? To put it best, it was painful to watch. The maturity level also suffered as it shifted to lame humor and shallow concepts, making it quite awkward to follow.

I fail to comprehend how people can actually enjoy half of those episodes. Unfortunately, the target audience in Japan is younger children so they probably figure they can get away with it. What could have been a great anime has hit rock bottom imo.

Kidder wrote:

Is this referring to the Christian episodes (last arc) btw? If so, those were really bad. I wonder why fillers and "made-up" episodes are always so bad. Perhaps it's the lack of time to come up with decent ideas so they just kinda take whatever they can think of at the moment. Bottom line: Don't do it if you care about the quality of your anime, because it's almost certain to fail.
Cloud506

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not changing my position on the crappy filler episodes, but as i skimmed most of the threads i realized that people gave up on Naruto because of them... I don't understand that at all. I mean come on, i believe that in almost every thread here each person has said that as much as they hate the fillers (any anime filler) it was neccesary. Don't give up and say that naruto sucks just because of a few filler's or 30 or 50. I hate them, i think they are annoying, but i'm not going to give up on a show that i call one of my favorites, especially now that i've spent tons of time and money.
yusuke1022

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
naruto sucked without the fillers. its not so hard to predict what happens next. my opinion is you guys should just watch the freakin fillers and stop whining about an anime that sucked in the first place
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
yusuke1022 wrote:
naruto sucked without the fillers. its not so hard to predict what happens next. my opinion is you guys should just watch the freakin fillers and stop whining about an anime that sucked in the first place

I'd prefer you to not diss up an anime without backing up your statement with your own feelings on why it sucked. To just say it sucked with the majority of us here who have posted in this topic that like/love/addore/and etc this series it is unjustifiable for you to just say it sucks.

Your display pic is of one of the most poorly done anime out there. Trashy animation, characters that get boring fast, people that don't stay dead, fights that take about 2 episodes for them to get past the constapation point and overly idiotic facial expressions. Naruto at least has deeper characters, better soundtrack, is prettier to look at and generally appeals to people in ways that DBZ couldn't have dreamed of.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
yusuke, surely there has to be a better way to flame your way to 1000 posts than by going on threads that you don't give a rat's ass about and saying they show sucks.

Has anyone read what I posted? Does anyone read what anyone posts? The more I post here the more I wonder. People keep saying the fillers were absolutely necessary and inevitable, why? Maybe a few fillers are, but why did it have to be in such a long pathetic run of short arcs with no imagination? I don't think it takes much creativity to write a good story, it doesn't even have to be super ultra original, just make it GOOD.

I'll agree with anyone (Kidder for one) that it may be a good business choice, but a good choice for the company and a good choice for the show are completely different things in this case.

For gods sake though, STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO JUST SHUT UP AND NOT WATCH IT, THEY'RE HERE BECAUSE THEY WANT TO TALK/RANT ABOUT IT.

Fui, you said it's targeted at "younger children" but this really isn't entirely the case (though that's more debatable when looking just at the fillers Confused ). I wasn't the one to say this, but it's something that just sounds more and more right; he's someone who lived as a teacher in Japan for around 7 years and he said something like: "Why do they all like the Nintendo DS more than the PSP? Why is pokemon the number one movie? Why do I see more business men with a DS than kids? Because they never grow up, they just stay kids in their likes and dislikes no matter how old they get, it's wierd." He's right though, in that games/shows targetted at 8-12 kids here would find a target audience of probably 10-30 in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
yusuke, surely there has to be a better way to flame your way to 1000 posts than by going on threads that you don't give a rat's ass about and saying they show sucks.

Has anyone read what I posted? Does anyone read what anyone posts? The more I post here the more I wonder. People keep saying the fillers were absolutely necessary and inevitable, why? Maybe a few fillers are, but why did it have to be in such a long pathetic run of short arcs with no imagination? I don't think it takes much creativity to write a good story, it doesn't even have to be super ultra original, just make it GOOD.

1 people will give a rats ass about what he has to say because well most people will get riled up and flame him.

2. Have you read what I posted? My first post in this topic clearlky states that they don't care (they being the producers). They care about making money and keeping it going until they can milk it for all it has. As soon as its dead they'll be looking for the next big thing.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
I hope you're not assuming my first and second paragraphs are on the same idea, because they're not, that's why they're seperate paragraphs...... I'm not debating what you said ichigok90, I did read what you said and I'm agreeing with you.

In my second paragraph I was refering to people who assume that the fillers are necessary on the blind faith that the company would only put them in if they had to, which I'm saying is questionable at least. You said:

Quote:
Have you read what I posted? My first post in this topic clearlky states that they don't care (they being the producers). They care about making money and keeping it going until they can milk it for all it has.

but... I said:

Quote:
I'll agree with anyone (Kidder for one) that it may be a good business choice, but a good choice for the company and a good choice for the show are completely different things in this case.

Exactly the same thing except I also made a judgement statement about what is good for the show. How was I arguing that issue?

EDIT: well, turns out I missed your last post right after him, I must have opened the window right before you posted it and then scrolled down to see what anyone said after I posted. I thought I was going to be the first person to respond to him or I wouldn't have bothered to address him at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloud506

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 Wrote
Quote:
yusuke1022 wrote:

I'd prefer you to not diss up an anime without backing up your statement with your own feelings on why it sucked. To just say it sucked with the majority of us here who have posted in this topic that like/love/addore/and etc this series it is unjustifiable for you to just say it sucks.

Your display pic is of one of the most poorly done anime out there. Trashy animation, characters that get boring fast, people that don't stay dead, fights that take about 2 episodes for them to get past the constapation point and overly idiotic facial expressions. Naruto at least has deeper characters, better soundtrack, is prettier to look at and generally appeals to people in ways that DBZ couldn't have dreamed of.

Exactly what i was about to say, you (yusuke1022) think that you can walk into any thread and whine or complain. Just so you know if you hadn't heard yet, Naruto(and basically all anime) OWNS Drangonball Z, just like i and any other person who actually respects this topic or any topic at all own you. please we don't want to here you crap, i've seen you in other threads talk crap and i don't believe anyone cares one bit about your thoughts. So if you want to complain jsut start you own thread call it "Complaints from a whiny Naruto hater" (I'd love to put a few choice swear words in but i'm not getting myself into trouble)and see how many people care.

Anyways, the fillers stink... just don't give up on Naruto[/u][/i][/b]
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Tsk tsk tsk, seems like I've stumbled onto a Down's parade.

What people are forgetting is that shock, horror, people can not like shows. Doesn't inherantly make them bad. Be aware, for all of DB/Z's cons, if it wasn't for it, Naruto wouldn't be around/same as it is. You all seem to be over-reacting, I'd dare say.

Naruto does acheive a few things better than DBZ, and this is true. It also happens to be made when 'deeper characters' are more of a norm, and while DB does get dragged out, that's not to say it doesn't have it's share of equally in depth and filled out characters. Just because they don't have flashbacks every three episodes, and brood like Emo LJ kids, doesn't make them deep or in depth. DB/Z's TV animation is poor compared to Naruto's, but you have to realise there is about 8-20 years difference in Animation technology. A lot of TV Anime looked that bad, especially from Toei.

Naruto and DB/Z come on the same footing and are as equally as bad and good as each other.

On top of this, Cloud506, you're not much better than Yusuke-tard here, so stop thinking you're so much better.
Kidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Tsk tsk tsk, seems like I've stumbled onto a Down's parade.

What people are forgetting is that shock, horror, people can not like shows. Doesn't inherantly make them bad. Be aware, for all of DB/Z's cons, if it wasn't for it, Naruto wouldn't be around/same as it is. You all seem to be over-reacting, I'd dare say.

Naruto does acheive a few things better than DBZ, and this is true. It also happens to be made when 'deeper characters' are more of a norm, and while DB does get dragged out, that's not to say it doesn't have it's share of equally in depth and filled out characters. Just because they don't have flashbacks every three episodes, and brood like Emo LJ kids, doesn't make them deep or in depth. DB/Z's TV animation is poor compared to Naruto's, but you have to realise there is about 8-20 years difference in Animation technology. A lot of TV Anime looked that bad, especially from Toei.

Naruto and DB/Z come on the same footing and are as equally as bad and good as each other.

On top of this, Cloud506, you're not much better than Yusuke-tard here, so stop thinking you're so much better.

I have to agree with Steve. You both just sound like foaming fanboys... Both shows have their pros and cons and everyone has the right to their opinion as long as it's concise and clear. Saying DBZ = teh suck or Naruto = teh suck just makes you both come off as a jackasses. Neither show is perfect, so let's not turn this into a flaming match (which is what seems to happen in every Naruto thread) and actually stick to the topic.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
everyone has the right to their opinion as long as it's concise and clear.

Exactly. This is what I was complaining about, people who make blind assumptions or beliefs without any attempt to justify themselves. I don't have as big of a problem with people two just believe them and keep them to themselves, but people shouldn't come into a forum and spout their beliefs as "teh truth" without trying to back themselves up. That IS what forums are for are they not?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
You two seem to ignore that I only said DBZ is crap. I never said it wasn't influential in the anime industry. Saying why it was crap is different from saying it wasn't influential. I do admit that DBZ has been very influential in the anime industry but that fact alone doesn't save it from being crap. Also I only stated what Naruto did better than DBZ, If you want I'll point out what I thought was done poorly in Naruto. Don't go assuming that i'm a raving fanboy of Naruto either. I love the show but it is not my favourite. There are quite a few shows that I love more than it.

Fui wrote:
Kidder wrote:

Is this referring to the Christian episodes (last arc) btw? If so, those were really bad. I wonder why fillers and "made-up" episodes are always so bad. Perhaps it's the lack of time to come up with decent ideas so they just kinda take whatever they can think of at the moment. Bottom line: Don't do it if you care about the quality of your anime, because it's almost certain to fail.

The reason why episodes created by the producers are generally bad is because no matter how much creativity they have it still won't compare to the original story which was done by the creator. Heres a good comparison...........filler arcs with their own stories are like veggie burgers. They look like ordinary burgers yet they have a different taste. No matter how much it may look like a real burger with meat it isn't.

Sidenote: This thread will most likely get locked because of this going back and forth between people. Sorry to the mods but I just felt really offended not by yusuke but by Steven's and Kidder's comments. Especially Kidder's. I would not have been that offended had he not used the word "jackasses". That just really ticked me off.

EDIT: Since this thread has drifted away from its purpose and people are now flaming each other over a certain issue I'm just going to report this and hope it gets locked to stop further arguements between people which inlcudes me. Sorry again to the mods. Plus this topic has been done to death since the fillers came out.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5