• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Christian Anime Alliance

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
excel958 wrote:

I think the issue here is that people are comparing ANN and CAA. CAA has an owner with a different set of opinions, thus her judgement. The owner(s) of ANN think differently, thus it's a bit more liberal. (A say a bit because everyone is making such a huge fuss as to why we can't discuss NGE)

Apparently one is a Realist and the other an Idealist. I wonder which goes where >_>
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dispite how much you wish, you are not Billy's parents. Thus dispite what you want, you have no control over Billy.

No one said we are trying to control billy, this is a discussion on how people feel about the recent banning of anime titles like NGE and Gravitation. We simply feel that banning these titles is stupid I still dont see how (if the mods are enforceing the rules better) they cant dicipline the ones who start the flame wars. Are there really that many people on a Christian site that have bad tempers.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
It's relevant because if these "Christians" learned how to "practice what you preach" and treated each other with love and respect like the bible teaches them to do, then their heated debates never would've turned into childish flame wars.

I assume you are using "inverted commas" Christians in an attempt to be offensive or to belittle people's beliefs? Who are you to tell them how to behave or what to believe? Christians come in all shapes and sizes, you can't generalise like this or make snide comments trying to trick them with what the bible is 'supposed' to tell them.

Quote:
So, if a series isn't banned because of it's content but because it sparked heated debate, can we talk about Sukisho, Fake, and Loveless on their forums since Gravitation was the only shounen-ai anime on their ban list?

Well done, you might have caught them out! Try it out, start a discussion. What exactly would it prove? If they locked the thread is that a 'win' for you?

I imagine it will turn into a flame war, seeing as you are bringing up anime centred around something which most of them consider a sin.

And WolverinePrincess, that was a hilarious analogy, but I don't think it made the matter any simpler... Very Happy First time I have read an analogy about air conditioning, dog poo and short sighted kids!
excel958

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Can we talk about Sukisho, Fake, and Loveless on their forums since Gravitation was the only shounen-ai anime on their ban list?

I don't really see why not... though the possibility of it being locked is possible depending of the content of the created topic.

Oh and btw Fake is on the list.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to come off so unkindly but does it even matter? Did you really even need to bring it up?

The Alliance is a positive attempt to bring to light Anime that is safe in content for Christians who care enough about their faith. Establishing taboos doesn't neccessary embue any thoughts in people that would be say discriminatory. If anything it just prevents more arguing and disagreement.

It's been awhile since i've seen the website but it does say CHRISTIAN, and last I checked, Roman Catholicism is the only branch of Christianity that is that openly against homosexuality. They're many branches, they all differ tremendously.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
You can't really say he was gay because he wasn't human and technically was neuter (sp?). And yes, I think it was foolish of the person not to notice that Fake was on the list. I do understand that if they want to ban discussions on certain topics they can, but it's just not very professional when there's alternate options for fixing the problems that would end up being better in the long run.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Kaworu was gay. Shinji loved him in more of just a good friend/brother type way, I think.
Yes, Kaworu was rather gay... for destorying the world. Razz It's all POV. Sure he acted like he "really, really like" Shiniji, or maybe it was just a ploy to rattle his mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:

It's been awhile since i've seen the website but it does say CHRISTIAN, and last I checked, Roman Catholicism is the only branch of Christianity that is that openly against homosexuality. They're many branches, they all differ tremendously.

Aren't the Southern Baptists also openly against homosexuality? I'm not trying to counter your entire arguement here, just asking a question with an answer I am not sure of. (All this talking of flaming is making me a bit nervous about what I say, lol.)

In regards to the ideas on Christian behavior stated earlier (practicing what you preach, etc), the Bible also states that if your right hand offends, cut if off. This seems to fit a bit better with the CAA's regulations.The problem with quoting the Bible in an arguement is the fact there always seem to be another quote from the same source for the opposite side, usually taken out of context of course. (I know that quote isn't perfect. My Bible reading days were a while ago.)

Again, I am glad these Christians have what they feel is a safe place for talking about anime. I don't agree with their policies, but that's why I don't go to the board. Although a topic about Loveless is tempting...better yet the manga Eerie Queerie..

Too many typos...
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't find it since it was a while back in the thread, but Excel, you mentioned in response to someone saying that the users on this site are probably pre-teen aged saying that the majority of the users are actually between the ages of sixteen and twenty one, correct? Why can't they grow up? I'm a thirteen year-old girl, and I knew when I joined ANN that the majority of the users were adult males. I try to come up with interesting topics, write intelligent posts (except when I feel the need to type up a poop joke now and then. Laughing ), and keep my temper in check. Admittedly I sometimes slip in the anger department, though. I joined this site because in my opinion it's the best place on the internet to have intelligent discussions about anime and manga, and I knew I'd be playing with the big boys when I signed up --the smart, geeky boys at least ten years older than me with much more experience with anime.

Why can't CAA's users suck it up, grow up, and intelligently discuss their opinions on controversial shows like Evangelion, Gravitation, or Elfen Lied without flaming each other? (Which hasn't been banned yet, but my post about it in the Review Requests thread got me a, "You are what you eat; and by watching this perversion of nature you are single-handedly responsible for others who may be inspired to attempt to explode people's heads like Lucy" response, and if pin-heads like that fellow continue to drag talk of this series into that area it will certainly be banned.)

Sixteen is old enough to know better.

(And I did post some pictures of Ritsuka in the Catboy/Catgirl picture thread on CAA a while ago, but I was told to stop posting them from a user who strongly believes Yun Kouga is "stupid" for making her characters have cat AND human ears. Rolling Eyes )

excel958 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
I wonder how it is that Wolverine Princess got banned from the site?

She isn't banned.

Excel is right. I changed my email address on the site and jumped to conclusions. Apparently you didn't see the edit I made to my post.

I wrote:
EDIT: Actually, my account isn't banned. I changed my email address and apparently you can't post until you recieve the confirmation email.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I do have to say that you, Wolverine Princess, are one of the most mature acting people on this website, and I respect you for that. I know that when I first joined these forums I wasn't acting as mature, but that was four months ago, after some run-ins with the mods. If people can't grow up, even when they're 30 or something, then other people won't listen to them or won't be willing to put the time down to talk to them.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
"You are what you eat; and by watching this perversion of nature you are single-handedly responsible for others who may be inspired to attempt to explode people's heads like Lucy"

Oh WOW. With people getting away with bloated, self-important snobbery like that, it's painfully clear to me just how attentive CAA's moderation really is right now.

Small wonder they "have to" resort to banning shows. If they let people get away with that kind of blatant, judgmental trolling all over the place, it's obvious they aren't even trying to enforce whatever rules they may have, except of course to run in and shut down people who want to talk about those "forbidden" titles.

As I keep saying, why not bring in some moderators that'd actually do their job before resorting to just giving up and banning subjects from any discussion at all? A competent staff would nip that sort of crap in the bud right away and keep discussion on the straight & narrow easily.

Yeesh. I don't wanna hear any "it's impossible to moderate" nonsense after hearing that the users so freely get away with taking shots at each other like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I personally thought you were in your twenties, as your are more mature than several people that are that old. It just goes to show that younger people are getting more mature, and I like that a lot. I'm still only 17 going on 18 myself, but I never look down on someone because of their age because it has happened to me before even when they were completely wrong. What she says is true, if they can't handle that kind of stuff, they either don't watch it or grow up. When I was still 7 or 8 I was watching bloodier stuff than Elfen Lied, but I didn't turn into a mass murderer that walks around blowing peoples heads off because of it. My point is that even younger people have the ability to discern what they can and cannot do and learn to discuss within reasonable limits, but the only problem is that those limits aren't always reasonable and the people don't want to get more mature than they are. It's the user's fault if they can't discuss within reasonable limitations, not the community's. By banning discussion on a topic because of a few people flame it is like saying that since a few children hate clowns that no one can be a clown anymore because those few people hate them.

Also, Kudos to you Wolverine for your maturity, now if only more people would act at the very least their own age Anime smile.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Small wonder they "have to" resort to banning shows. If they let people get away with that kind of blatant, judgmental trolling all over the place, it's obvious they aren't even trying to enforce whatever rules they may have, except of course to run in and shut down people who want to talk about those "forbidden" titles.

The sad thing is that most people that chimed in on our discussion after that guy's post agreed with him.

I know I've brought the Dokuro-chan thread up several times, but I have something else to say about it. After the person who wrote their review responded to my post claiming a 21+ age rating was unfair with an extremely long essay on how Jesus is all flowers and sunshine and Dokuro is evil for misrepresenting Him, almost everyone that posted in that thread afterwards agreed with him. I was one of the only ones in the thread that had actually seen the show, and people were openly admitting they had never seen Dokuro but agreed with the reviewer because he quoted Bible verses. They defended him simply because he showed off his Bible quotin’ 1337 skillz without having seen the show to form an opinion of it for themselves.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
So why even bother hanging out a forum where a majority would agree with something that ridiculous? It rather seems to me that near everyone who makes it a point to state their religion before a discussion (essentially what CAA is doing with its very existence) is never the type to have intelligent dicussions as nothing intelligent can truly be said or heard when it all comes through a filter of fundanmentall illogic and supersticion.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ph3ar my pr0 1337 b1bl3 skillz.

I agree though, after a while of reading the site, it does seem to often end up as whoever can quote the most bible instantly wins the discussion. Bible verse seems to be a trump card for everything.

Also a lot of them have sigs which are about 20 lines long and mostly bible verse. It made my eyes hurt.
Quote:
Matthew 11:28 - Come unto me, all you that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest
Matthew 1:13-14 - For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins
Psalm 119:114 - thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.

#1 Fan of Orenji's artwork !

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

>>>>>> The Dragons and the Pheonix <<<<<<
>>>>>> Threads of Fate <<<<<<
>>>>>> Tales of the White Knights <<<<<<

I'm co-adopted with:
JadeFox and Rambo
I've adopted:
KiraYamato
Kumiko213

Ouch, sigs that are longer than most posts... Madness. Thank you ANN for banning sigs.

Quote:
I am a Christian Swordsman, but the sword i carry isnt one made of Metal, no it is made by God, the Author of my life, my savior and my Friend, the sword i carry is my Bible.
see (Hebrews 4:12)
~Adoptee of Steeltemplar-sama!----YAYS!
Adopted by JadeFox: HOORAH!!! <3
FaithFighter's OneeChan
Steeltemplar's PNC!
Be O.D.D (Obedient. Devoted. Disciplined.)
I am a Christian; when I was lost I asked someone for directions and I found my way into the light and out of the darkness.
~Favorite Sermon Quote: "When the Christian Religion is lacking the life of Christ, it stops being Christianity."~
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Quote:

Crazyflakes brand breakfast cereal. Slogan: They're so good they'll have you in a straightjacket.
-----Steeltemplar

<3
-/l、
(゚、 。 7 -
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

The Heart has it's reasons that reason knows not of.
----- Blaise Pascal
Bishies are cuddley, Bishes are cute! They are never nasty or mean. I'd give a home to all the lost bishies...if I were the anime Queen! Anime smile
Anata mo Watashi mo Pokiing! (you and me and pocky!)

Quote:
Watching you die! Watching you die! Your blood is on me! I see the faces in my head, I hear the screams from the walking dead. Do you know about true regret? To know the chances you let go? (lyrics by Johah 33:3)

When we are called to tell everyone we know about Christ, yet we don't we sentence our friends to death. We are ALL called to spread the Truth, but if we don't who will? If we love our friends, let's tell them about the love and power of Jesus Christ!

Please view my literary works in progress: God Sent-Update: 7-3

Stick Monkey Chronicles-update 6/28

My DeviantArt! >^._.^<

Anyway, sorry about all that spam. I'm going to go and scream into a pillow.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17