• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Petit Pretty Squid Girl Super DX

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gothung

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
RZetlin wrote:
I didn't think the Squid Girl look too bad from the pictures you posted.

Wow... just... wow...degeso.
Maybe you haven't seen the show, Shinryaku! Ika Musume (aka Squid Girl), or maybe you don't have much experience with the different sorts of figures out there? Or maybe you're being sarcastic or trolling? If you really felt it doesn't look that bad, you'll have to trust what everyone is saying on this one. It's bad, degeso.

The quality is pretty bad. I'm talking flaws you'd normally see on figures under $10, or maybe even gachapon levels. And pic #6 (full body shot) is about as far away from what Squid Girl SHOULD look like as I could imagine. About the only thing nice about this package is the sheer volume of the gimmicks (black light glow is kinda cool except it's only the white surfaces), but it's definitely not worth $100+ degeso.

ETA: Ika speech... degeso.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I had not heard of Evolution Toys either (while shopping a few weeks ago), but one look at their website was all I needed to know I would never buy one of their products.

I would definitely concur the model was based on other toys it sells, and it's a shame you were duped. Nothing sucks worse than having excitement shattered due to disappointment.

The worst part about this will be the hundreds who will get duped because they'll perceive the high price as an indication to good quality, a normal expectation otherwise. For those living outside of Japan, we'd take an extreme loss if we shipped it back to receive a refund (what little there will be left after it's all said and done).

This increase of cheap figures for a high price is starting to grate on my nerves.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Just a non-anime fyi on glowing in the dark:

Manufacturers add chemicals to paints, dyes, and laundry detergent specifically because they're fluorescent. They call them "brighteners." They not only reflect the visible light, they convert ultraviolet to visible light and emit that, too, making the colors look brighter. In this case, they make the dress look whiter.

Keep it in mind the next time you're in a club with a black light.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Just a non-anime fyi on glowing in the dark:

Manufacturers add chemicals to paints, dyes, and laundry detergent specifically because they're fluorescent. They call them "brighteners." They not only reflect the visible light, they convert ultraviolet to visible light and emit that, too, making the colors look brighter. In this case, they make the dress look whiter.

Keep it in mind the next time you're in a club with a black light.

I think for anime fans, that white stuff on black light is something else. Laughing
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yikes >.> what a terrible quality figure. But you can clearly see even from the prototype that the points re obviously visible. Not to mention the quality shows through too. I would have read reviews on www.myfigurecollection.net before buying their products. as where most figure collectors are now.

I also hope by you saying you spent 110 is not with shipping. It is really misleading to put that in. It is an obvious cost addition with imports and to tag it on with the original cost just makes it seem like it is more overpriced than it is.

You should have gone for this one http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english&vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=FIG-MOE-2677&template=default/product/e_display.html at least it is Kotobukiya so you know they do great work.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I've had my eye on this figure since I saw pre-orders for it on various sites. Personally, I'll just look through Yahoo.jp auctions, since I have a buyer in Japan, and I've gotten some nice pieces for insanely small prices. But my buyer ships EMS exclusively, so I have to buy a bunch and flip a few online to make my p&h dough back.
This figure has intrigued me, and sorry, but it looks like a bunch of bandwagon parroting going on. True, this figure isn't spot on, but since there's not many other options (I have seen plushies btw) it's still rather tempting to get. I usually don't care for the neandroid style, and I still think i'd rather have this figure than the 'droid.
There has been one item that's been overlooked though, and I think i'll get one on my next order. There is a mini figure, the keychain variety that has a Mini-Ika on it. She's dancing, like the one you might see in a gif. file online. For someone who thoroughly enjoyed Ep5, I think it will hold me for now.
I'm still considering the figure this thread is about though.

Because I like the series, I think it's okay, i'll get it for less, and doggone it-you cannot enforce taste. Like what you like, don't like what you don't, and don't let anyone tell you different!
gothung

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
PaniPoni61 wrote:
This figure has intrigued me, and sorry, but it looks like a bunch of bandwagon parroting going on. True, this figure isn't spot on, but since there's not many other options (I have seen plushies btw) it's still rather tempting to get.

Because I like the series, I think it's okay, i'll get it for less, and doggone it-you cannot enforce taste. Like what you like, don't like what you don't, and don't let anyone tell you different!

While I have to respect your last statement, I really have to throw out that just because there aren't a lot of options, you shouldn't have to settle for this figure. In my opinion? Just wait a bit longer. I'm certain better figures will pop up, ESPECIALLY since they're already going through with production of Shinryaku!? Ika Musume (aka season 2).

Besides... if you have your heart set on blowing a chunk of cash on Ika Musume, I'd more readily support you buying a dozen of those mini-figs you described than one of the figures featured in the article. If you really enjoyed Ep. 05, then you can recreate the parade of mini Ika Musume seen in the end credits.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
gothung, excellent idea!....or ideas, really! Thanks for the assist!
After I finished the series, I started the watch for figures, and the one this thread is about was the first I had seen, along with the alternate versions (i.e. swimsuit & glow-in-the-dark). But the idea of holding off to see if there are newer, and better figures-yeah, that is a good idea! I was just being a little hasty I suppose. I just wanted one to put on top of my 'puter tower. But then again, that space is already getting a little crowded.
What I really liked was the idea of multiple Mini-Ikas! Re-creating the parade seems like a real neat concept! I think i've seen maybe 2, or possibly 3 different Minis, but if i got multiples-I could have a whole marching Mini-Ika cadre! Oh the possibilities!
I just wouldn't put her in a jar though, if I remember correctly, she didn't care much for that!
Again, thank YOU for the idea!

....still waiting for any Mitsudomoe figures though........

edited due to incorrect spelling. whoops.
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
They really need to cut out those excessive ball joints. Those just kill me to look at right there.

It could have been better. But they did screw it up >m<
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
the thing about this figure is - it was rushed to market

evolution toys is new to the scene but I have seen their prototype doll
they are planning to sell them so you can make your own custom dolls

the small version has perfect proportions and is cute

but this ika-musume figure... she is too tall and thin and the face is all wrong. it is one of the first poseable figures to be released but I think they should have worked on the quality a little more

same thing with the mobips, the idea is fine but the execution is lacking
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:

I also hope by you saying you spent 110 is not with shipping. It is really misleading to put that in. It is an obvious cost addition with imports and to tag it on with the original cost just makes it seem like it is more overpriced than it is.

This thread has likely run its course at this point, but I'd like to add one more point about Astro Toy's format: of course I always include international express shipping in the cost.

I don't make the assumption here that "everybody knows" shipping from Japan is a massive, unavoidable expense when buying Japanese toys, or that everybody who reads this column is intimately familiar with importing stuff directly from Japan.

You will probably eat half (or more) of the original retail price of a toy just to ship it over. Here's a Figma on HLJ. 2400y on sale and 1200y to send it over. It would be misleading not to tell people this. I list the real price, including the cost of express shipping from Japan to NY, that we pay here at the column.

Example: I recently bought an artbook by Akiman a month or two ago at Kinokuniya. At Kino, everything is cover price plus what they paid to get it over here. I was unlikely to get the book any other way (it's already $70+ online), so I coughed up the $60. The book's cover price was 2800 yen. I don't say that the book cost $35, or worse, "around $28". I say what I paid.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

You will probably eat half (or more) of the original retail price of a toy just to ship it over. Here's a Figma on HLJ. 2400y on sale and 1200y to send it over. It would be misleading not to tell people this. I list the real price, including the cost of express shipping from Japan to NY, that we pay here at the column.

Haha, I remember more than a decade ago, sending a Japanese penpal a gift, a boardgame she couldn't get in Japan. Cost me more to send the damn boardgame ($35) than it cost me to buy it. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2