• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman FAQ: "How do I get my idea made into an anime?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The only positive is that in today's age, if you have the talent to do things yourself and you can do things yourself. You can make your own independent animation and try to use that as a business card.

You don't have to buy expensive cells, paints, etc, and then be stuck at, "how do I possibly display this to anyone." Spending a few thousand on a computer and stuff combined with YouTube and some talent could get you a better foot in the door to the industry than in the past.

The dude who made RWBY isn't working with Madhouse and on top of the world, but he has spun owning a computer and having talent into getting the opportunity to create content and have it distributed alongside legit professional anime.

The article is a spirit crusher but in today's age it's easier to get yourself into the industry than ever before. It used to be that there was basically no shot whatsoever and took a super miracle even for someone with talent and drive to get in. Now if you have talent and drive, your destiny can be in your own hands because distribution platforms are a free for all and not the walled off gardens that only millionaires and corporations have access to.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
@Mr. sickVisionz

If what you want is to simply be published then you are correct. With internet these days all you need is a computer and an internet connection and you can publish something. It doesn't even have to be good. People will watch it or ignore it or make fun of it as they see fit, but at least you are published. Who knows it could lead to something.

However, if you want to have your story idea made into anime, in Japan by a Japanese studio for the Japanese market. Than no, your chances are really small. This is pretty much what Justin was talking about.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The only positive is that in today's age, if you have the talent to do things yourself and you can do things yourself. You can make your own independent animation and try to use that as a business card.

You don't have to buy expensive cells, paints, etc, and then be stuck at, "how do I possibly display this to anyone." Spending a few thousand on a computer and stuff combined with YouTube and some talent could get you a better foot in the door to the industry than in the past.

The dude who made RWBY isn't working with Madhouse and on top of the world, but he has spun owning a computer and having talent into getting the opportunity to create content and have it distributed alongside legit professional anime.

The article is a spirit crusher but in today's age it's easier to get yourself into the industry than ever before. It used to be that there was basically no shot whatsoever and took a super miracle even for someone with talent and drive to get in. Now if you have talent and drive, your destiny can be in your own hands because distribution platforms are a free for all and not the walled off gardens that only millionaires and corporations have access to.

The trade-off is... you now have more competition. And when everyone's trying to make a living and get this stuff to work out, that means that more people are also going to be disappointed because they WILL always see someone better than them, and that better person might just be (if not almost always) the wall between them and the success they are pursuing.
That said, this is just a realistic analysis. All it means is that you need to prepare yourself for even the things you can't and won't expect or wish upon yourself. Otherwise, you could end up disappointed in yourself where you really don't need to be. Especially if you want to keep going.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Telling people they can aspire to make something like RWBY seems more soul crushing than anything Answerman said.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, i think first

I think first Westerns need know what Asians like. You have to write you story to target Asians, not other westerns. Like the main characters are normally descendant of famous/powerful people or face. Japanese don't believe normal random guy can be successful. It doesn't mean you can't break the rule, but you still need to know this.

Second, they need to learn how to write in Minimalist style, which is similar to Light Novel.

http://prolificnovelista.com/tag/minimalist-writing/

Third, they need to learn Japanese.

There is an anime coming next year is No Game, No Life, is written by a Brazilian.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
My answer would be to them: "Pay up."
...Make a YouTube animated series.... learn to animate (or) pay someone to write/anime/voice it for you...and you'll have it.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
What would you want the Japanese anime mainstream to focus on that they have not tried already?

The only thing i could possibly think of short term is use Kickstarter.

You got to make it good, but do not use your best until you get into creative control or you will be burned.

The question "How do i get my idea made into anime" is naive nonsense that answers itself. You do not.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
How do I get my idea made into a BBC drama?!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
I think people will more likely get a book published than an anime made. So why don't people try to write a book, see how it sells (if it gets pick up at all), if it's relatively successful pay someone to translate it. Pitch it to publishers in Japan, then hope again that a publisher picks it up, sells fairly well and someone high up in a studio can see the creative potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Make a blog, tell the people who you are, and post regular installment of the project you started, like chapters of a novel you made or something. This will get people your attention, and I think it is probably the easiest way to see if your work is actually good or just literal shit because you get to see the reaction of the internet community immediately. Creator of Sword Art Online used this method and it worked pretty well.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
It's just sad to see that having their ideas floating in a notebook and knowing animation producer or two will result animation. It may work on people with established credentials like experienced directors and professional writers/artists, but it doesn't work on someone who has zero credential. It's like thinking that if you know a movie producer in person, then you'll have chance to make it into a movie or TV show. Really? Then I'll just send my photocopied notebook, draft screenplay, or Deviantart artwork to a producer and hope that he'll gather funds to make a movie. Few months later, it'll get green-lit and movie or TV show is produced. Yeah right. If things are that easy.

I do applaud works like RWBY for taking initiative to produce their own CG animation. Again, it's the effort to make something with result, not just whimsical idea or doodle in a notebook. (I suspect that they don't have skill set and resource to draw traditional animation, thus the CG as better alternative) It doesn't look great, but at least they're putting effort to show something.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I think first Westerns need know what Asians like. You have to write you story to target Asians, not other westerns. Like the main characters are normally descendant of famous/powerful people or face. Japanese don't believe normal random guy can be successful. It doesn't mean you can't break the rule, but you still need to know this.

There are a lot of problems with this.

First, your example of what the Japanese supposedly like is questionable, since there are a lot of protagonists in anime that are supposedly ordinary, at least in the sense of not being, as you put it, a "descendant of famous/powerful people."

Second, the whole idea of "what Asians like" is ill-defined. Consider Japan alone. Its population is about 128 million, somewhere between a third and a half that of the population of the U.S. That's a lot of people, and even with Japanese culture being arguably more homogeneous than American culture, that's still a lot of opportunity for variation.

Third, attempting to target what some demographic can all too easily lead to something that looks bland or obviously derivative.

Best not to try to hard to try to target some audience, but rather just write or draw what one likes. The probability of success is about the same as if one does try to target, and if one fails, at least one fails while doing what one likes.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm surprised that some people want to move to Japan and become mangaka and such, despite the overwhelming news of the non-stop work causing carpal tunnel, and other physical/mental illnesses that causes MANY of the main artists to take a several month's leave at a time :/

Apparently it's a desirable job.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Honestly, I'm surprised that some people want to move to Japan and become mangaka and such, despite the overwhelming news of the non-stop work causing carpal tunnel, and other physical/mental illnesses that causes MANY of the main artists to take a several month's leave at a time :/

Apparently it's a desirable job.

That kind of dedication to the job is probably why manga is so beloved. It's not a great job for someone looking to make a quick buck, you have to really love the medium and put your all into it.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

That kind of dedication to the job is probably why manga is so beloved. It's not a great job for someone looking to make a quick buck, you have to really love the medium and put your all into it.

Nah, manga is beloved because of the amazing art and stories. I mean, it is on a team as well, but I think a lot of these striving western mangakas, really don't think about the deadlines and whatnot involved. Many people don't realize how much tougher it would be to work over there, with how relaxed things are in the western world. It's a lot more stressful and filled with work. In the end, it IS a job and not just a hobby for weekends.

Creativity as well, isn't even free. I've read enough author notes saying "I wanted to make this character do this, but my editor said 'no'".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7