×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, April 14-20


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rivailloli



Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 561
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
I didn't really watch anything for winter other than Space Dandy, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it sells. Not like it matters though since a second season is confirmed. Sad to see how bad the winter season was though. I'm happy for Hoozuki though and may actually go check it out.

Rederoin wrote:
invalidname wrote:
The Chuunibyou watchers I know on Twitter boldly assert there won't be a third season based on the (supposedly) tepid response to the second. Does selling 5,000 BDs of volume 2 bear that out?

It does not rule out the chance of a 3rd season, but its not high enough to guarantee it, which tends to be around 10k+, and even then you have a few exceptions(i.e Haruhi).


But this is a very basic explantion, but it'd take a long while to explain when or why shows get sequels and what you need to pay attention too.


I kind of hope that KyoAni will just end the series there. I loved S1 of Chu-2, but the second season was a serious let down to me. Personally, I felt like it didn't have half the charm of the first series. I didn't even finish the second season; I got about half way through and dropped it.

Was a shame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angel M Cazares
Subscriber



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4886
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The Chuunibyou watchers I know on Twitter boldly assert there won't be a third season based on the (supposedly) tepid response to the second. Does selling 5,000 BDs of volume 2 bear that out?


I have a gut feeling that a third season will be made. If the second seasons ends up averaging 5k per volume, it will not look glamorous, but that number suggests that the franchise has enough popularity left to justify another anime season.


Rivailloli wrote:
I loved S1 of Chu-2, but the second season was a serious let down to me. Personally, I felt like it didn't have half the charm of the first series. I didn't even finish the second season; I got about half way through and dropped it.


I also adore season one of Chuunibyou. Season two was very disappointing through the first half, but it improves significantly in the second half. You might want to go back and finish season two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Oppai_are_life



Joined: 28 Mar 2014
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="mdo7"][quote="Rederoin"]
mdo7 wrote:

Well blu-rays are very expensive (and overpriced) in Japan, add the tax hikes, and you might have something like what we're seeing on the chart. I believe many Japanese have now shun luxury goods after tax hikes. Also if the tax hikes has managed to cause PS4 sales in Japan to sharply decline, then isn't it possible the tax hikes could've hurt the blu-ray sales, we might not have evidence but I think it's possible that the tax hike could've maybe cause this.


A 3% tax increase on a 7000 Yen BD will only add 210 Yen to it's price. That's a little over $2. it's a minimal increase and will not affect the sales of BD's. In the last few years only 1 winter show has topped 10k sales every year. So not only does Winter have a history of low sales, but it was also, IMO, a very weak season overall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1426
Location: Europa
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
I didn't really watch anything for winter other than Space Dandy, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it sells. Not like it matters though since a second season is confirmed. Sad to see how bad the winter season was though. I'm happy for Hoozuki though and may actually go check it out.


From the information we have, space dandy will not do good. Espcailly with its v2 drop(v1 has a event ticket). But we'll see next week, since space dandy v1 is coming out this week.


Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cyclone1993



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 945
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
I have to agree Chunibyo season 2 was a let down after the amazing first season, but it was still enjoyable and I hated to see it end, especially since it thrives on its characters. So I hope we get a third season, a season that actually wraps things up and let's the series end naturally.

Chunibyo does have one advantage over Haruhi though. A third novel was just released that could be used for a third season, and the novel imprint is owned by KyoAni, so they probably don't have to shell out as much money for the rights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3717
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Why aren't the Japanese otaku buying Sakura Trick?

Because after buying Chunibyo they don't have enough money to buy Sakura Trick, even if they want to.

Even if they like Sakura Trick, the question is, do they like it more than Chunibyo? Because if they buy Sakura Trick, it's possible they don't have the money left over to buy Chunibyo

I mean, hasn't anyone at all thought about how the expense of anime videos at $400+ a cour, MUST necessarily mean that many shows will do worse than others even if they are well-received?

There's 40+, maybe even 50, new shows a season. I like most of them, and buy nearly all the ones that release in the US. If I were in Japan, or I were importing only, I would not be able to buy even fraction of the shows I liked (And my income is more than the average JP salaryman too)


Last edited by configspace on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lusbox



Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 156
Location: UK
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
They all spent too much money buying 3 copies of Madoka each.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rivailloli



Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 561
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I also adore season one of Chuunibyou. Season two was very disappointing through the first half, but it improves significantly in the second half. You might want to go back and finish season two.


I got to episode 8. That's just about over half-way. It didn't show any improvement in those two episodes past the half-way mark. All I heard was bad stuff about the later series, so I really am not interested in pursuing the series anymore.

Rederoin wrote:

From the information we have, space dandy will not do good. Espcailly with its v2 drop(v1 has a event ticket). But we'll see next week, since space dandy v1 is coming out this week.


Yeah, I know it's going to do not so well, lol. Still just slightly curious. But again, the sales don't really matter since S2 is already green lit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 4623
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Yuri seems to have an extremely niche market while cute girls doing cute things or "moe" infested shows probably have more appeal to males and females i'd guess.

It's always kind of baffled me. Before I started following anime sales I figured yuri was one of the top selling products. Life is cruel Crying or Very sad
Cute-girls-doing-cute-things-with-lesbian-undertones shows tend to see a disproportionately high number of straight ero doujinshi, which may or may not acknowledge the various implied relationships(after all, who wouldn't want to imagine themselves as Yui's boyfriend from YuruStraight? Rolling Eyes ). I imagine whatever leads to that phenomenon is responsible for hard yuri selling so badly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14261
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I mean, hasn't anyone at all thought about how the expense of anime videos at $400+ a cour, MUST necessarily mean that many shows will do worse than others even if they are well-received?

There's 40+, maybe even 50, new shows a season. I like most of them, and buy nearly all the ones that release in the US. If I were in Japan, or I were importing only, I would not be able to buy even fraction of the shows I liked (And my income is more than the average JP salaryman too)


My previous mention that anime targeting the same limited group of thousands fans there won't be enough money to go around. Unless they broaden their audience, all these extra shows will just cannibalize each other's sales.


Rivailloli wrote:

Rederoin wrote:

From the information we have, space dandy will not do good. Espcailly with its v2 drop(v1 has a event ticket). But we'll see next week, since space dandy v1 is coming out this week.

Yeah, I know it's going to do not so well, lol. Still just slightly curious. But again, the sales don't really matter since S2 is already green lit.


Though due to CN's contribution, the Japanese side didn't have to put up as much money, so at least they have that going for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mister Ryan Andrews



Joined: 28 Jan 2014
Posts: 219
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
My previous mention that anime targeting the same limited group of thousands fans there won't be enough money to go around. Unless they broaden their audience, all these extra shows will just cannibalize each other's sales.


Plenty of seasons have had multiple shows which sell well. It's not an issue of competition or cannibalization. It's an issue of 'fans didn't like the show enough to buy it'. People are just trying to find an excuse why their favorite show isn't selling well Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14261
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

My previous mention that anime targeting the same limited group of thousands fans there won't be enough money to go around. Unless they broaden their audience, all these extra shows will just cannibalize each other's sales.

Plenty of seasons have had multiple shows which sell well. It's not an issue of competition or cannibalization. It's an issue of 'fans didn't like the show enough to buy it'. People are just trying to find an excuse why their favorite show isn't selling well Rolling Eyes


Even if most of the shows are good, some of them will still fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
And even some really terrific shows just don't have the fans there to support the discs. Common occurrence, it really can be difficult to tell what people will actually buy in great volumes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 5299
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Cute-girls-doing-cute-things-with-lesbian-undertones shows tend to see a disproportionately high number of straight ero doujinshi, which may or may not acknowledge the various implied relationships(after all, who wouldn't want to imagine themselves as Yui's boyfriend from YuruStraight? Rolling Eyes ). I imagine whatever leads to that phenomenon is responsible for hard yuri selling so badly.


That part I find particularly bizarre to me. If you switch the genders, you're pretty much guaranteed BL doujins. Why is it the first thing otaku think up when provided a large or an all-female cast is straight ero doujins or worse futanari?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14261
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

And even some really terrific shows just don't have the fans there to support the discs. Common occurrence, it really can be difficult to tell what people will actually buy in great volumes.


Can have enough fans just not enough money between them to support all those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group