• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero [Limited Edition] BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Even fan service shows have quality standards. They don't get to excuse everything in the name of T&A. To Love-Ru has shown that you can make a heavy fan service show that's actually funny. High School D&D, Qwaser of Stigmata, and So, I Can't Play H! have all shown that you can have fan service and still have good action and story. This one has neither.

Sorry, guys, but shows like the above and Queen's Blade franchise have upped the standards for fan service shows considerably in recent years. Crap getting by on cheap fan service doesn't cut it any more.

DmonHiro wrote:
Allow me to take this chance to ask the reviewer, if he reads the forums a question.
How does one award grades for Overall (sub) and Overall (Dub)?

Those are the Overall grades if one were to view it subbed or dubbed and should not be taken as purely an evaluation of the English/Japanese dub quality. If the grade is the same for both then one can reasonably interpret that which language track one uses didn't have a significant impact on the viewing experience in the impression of the reviewer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, at the risk of attracting flames, I'll all say is that this definitely went along a lot more smoothly than the last Aesthetica review that was posted to ANN... Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Does anyone know how the anime/light novels have sold in Japan? I'm curious as to whether there's a realistic hope for a second season.

considering that i haven't heard of it ,and it haven't been given a manga adaptation , i say not good. while the series is good enough , unfortunately the ending does literately cry for a second season. though i fear that like Tokko and Deadman Wonderland, this series will end just like this which is a damn shame that good series like these get the shaft all of a sudden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Well, at the risk of attracting flames, I'll all say is that this definitely went along a lot more smoothly than the last Aesthetica review that was posted to ANN... Wink

Which is good. That got rather out of hand, if you ask me.
Malach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Blatch wrote:

Which is good. That got rather out of hand, if you ask me.
partialy my fault on that one and i don't intend for it to come over here
Malach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Even fan service shows have quality standards. They don't get to excuse everything in the name of T&A. To Love-Ru has shown that you can make a heavy fan service show that's actually funny. High School D&D, Qwaser of Stigmata, and So, I Can't Play H! have all shown that you can have fan service and still have good action and story. This one has neither.

Sorry, guys, but shows like the above and Queen's Blade franchise have upped the standards for fan service shows considerably in recent years. Crap getting by on cheap fan service doesn't cut it any more.

DmonHiro wrote:
Allow me to take this chance to ask the reviewer, if he reads the forums a question.
How does one award grades for Overall (sub) and Overall (Dub)?

Those are the Overall grades if one were to view it subbed or dubbed and should not be taken as purely an evaluation of the English/Japanese dub quality. If the grade is the same for both then one can reasonably interpret that which language track one uses didn't have a significant impact on the viewing experience in the impression of the reviewer.
starting from episode 6 the story started picking up a little with lessfan service and little more plot. people do have different views and i kinda find the fan service amusing at times.did it go to far yaaa a little, but it was different and they at least tried. i mean got to look at what studio produced it, i mean arms does some top noch work and they are popular with some fan service. i feel like this was supposed to set up for what was going to happen in the next arch but idk if there will be an adaptation for . now as my mind starts to wander due to boredom have a nice day Smile
KIX9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this series could have done a lot better. I just think the review was negative, there were no pros, only cons. I can understand were it's coming from though. One of my favorite animes is fan service and has a good story: Is This A Zombie? I know it's a bit cheesy, but I loved it.
Malach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
KIX9 wrote:
I agree that this series could have done a lot better. I just think the review was negative, there were no pros, only cons. I can understand were it's coming from though. One of my favorite animes is fan service and has a good story: Is This A Zombie? I know it's a bit cheesy, but I loved it.
lol the final episode of the first season at the spoiler[amusement park where everyone starts singing and he swaps with lady hellscythe
]
Malach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's been a long while since I walked away from a series early on, but this was one of them. I ended up stopping after four episodes since I found Akatsuki rather unlikable, and the show's efforts to justify what he was doing in various circumstances a bit too hard to look past. It ended up making me wonder why the writers would even include things like the peeing scene if they constantly felt like it needed to be justified somehow.
start out at episode 6 they seem to drop the fanservice a little while the plot picsup at this point
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
Malach wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
It's been a long while since I walked away from a series early on, but this was one of them. I ended up stopping after four episodes since I found Akatsuki rather unlikable, and the show's efforts to justify what he was doing in various circumstances a bit too hard to look past. It ended up making me wonder why the writers would even include things like the peeing scene if they constantly felt like it needed to be justified somehow.
start out at episode 6 they seem to drop the fanservice a little while the plot picsup at this point

I do wonder if that would actually lead to someone who dropped the series to become a fan of it. I mean, a good story does start to appear...but it was so unsatisfying. Good build up, but no pay off in any sense.
Malach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Malach wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

I do wonder if that would actually lead to someone who dropped the series to become a fan of it. I mean, a good story does start to appear...but it was so unsatisfying. Good build up, but no pay off in any sense.
probbecause it was supposed to a second season and thats what they wanted
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Malach wrote:
probbecause it was supposed to a second season and thats what they wanted

Really? I've not seen anything out there that mentioned this was meant to be more than 12 episodes. Most anime are to help LN/manga sales. To me, the better anime are ones that don't end up looking like a very long advertisement.

This series was one that, to me, came off looking like a long advertisement. So much is eluded to in the last eps, that it made the rest of the series look like a waste.

Just my opinion, as I felt like the story started to get good...and then the series ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2