• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Men & Women Vote on Which Anime Character They'd Want as a Little Sister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
UberAnimeFan wrote:
Why in the hell is Kirino on this list? What is wrong with these people? Do people not remember how awful she was the entire series?

Awfully amusing? Awfully adorable? Awfully entertaining?

Yes, yes, and yes! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Good choices apart from Suguha, never really took a liking to her. Kirino would be second in my list ahead of Miyuki from Mahouka, Asuha from Lotte no Omocha! and Komachi from Oregairu.

My number 1 would of course be Ako from Kiss x Sis. She's just great.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am a bit surprised Suguha Kirigaya is not number one because she seems very eager to have sex with her brother. And let us not kid ourselves, male otakus voted based on which little sister they would feel better f-ing, gross.

The whole otaku sister-complex "soft incest" fantasy is BASED on the idea of having grown up with a girl who's already in your house and has known you long enough to be supportively interested in you, without, y'know, the hard part of having to actually ask her or maintain a relationship.
(And oh, did the Suguha plot in SAO Pt. 2 kiss up to that one big time...Oh, wait, they're really adopted, it's okay!)

In the west, "Like kissing your sister" is meant to describe something that isn't appealing, but then, we weren't brought up to be afraid of girls.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I like how the top male ones are all characters with known incestuous plot lines or tendencies.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Different culture have different values and attitudes when it comes to siblings. Someone citing their own sibling, unless they live in Japan, or at least any East Asian culture, is a bit irrelevant. Japan has a much different preset than America does when it comes to family values and how they treat each other.

Thanks for that cultural knowledge. Now I know that in Japanese culture it is perfectly normal for siblings to have sex with each other. You learn something new everyday.

And here I was thinking that the views and attitudes of Japanese (male) otakus did not represent the views of Japan as a whole. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Raise your hand if this poll squicked you the hell out!
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
If i had to pick one it'd be Ren-chon.

Rather not have a sister that wants to get it on with me..
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Different culture have different values and attitudes when it comes to siblings. Someone citing their own sibling, unless they live in Japan, or at least any East Asian culture, is a bit irrelevant. Japan has a much different preset than America does when it comes to family values and how they treat each other.

Thanks for that cultural knowledge. Now I know that in Japanese culture it is perfectly normal for siblings to have sex with each other. You learn something new everyday.

And here I was thinking that the views and attitudes of Japanese (male) otakus did not represent the views of Japan as a whole. Guess I was wrong.
You sure were. Japan is just like the one in your "Japanese animes".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
drifty1 wrote:
My choice would have been Renge from Non Non Biyori. Second would have been Tooru from A-channel.

I applaud your taste, sir/madam. Ren-chan was my first thought, too.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
That's easy. I want Mako Mankanshoku to be my other sister.

She would hang out with my real life sister and I.

We would have all the fun.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kinomoto Sakura. That is all.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Kagura all the way! Her spunk and inhibition shines through in her actions, and she's a good mix of annoying, cute, supportive and fun to hang out with. I've actually watched Gintama thinking that she reminds me of a little sister, and that I've acted like her as a little sister myself.

Of course, she has some inherited bloodlust and the super strength to kill with her bare hands, so you'd probably want to stay on her good side...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Possibly the most interesting part of this survey, even more so than the difference in preferences by gender, is the complete lack of plurality. The overall winner only got about 3% of all votes, which is probably less than the margin for error. Even splitting down gender lines, Kagura only got about 8% of women.

Has anime become that generic or are people that diverse? I'm willing to believe more the latter than the former.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
For people missing from the list, I'm torn between Lina Inverse and Nanaka 6/17's Satsuki Arashiyama ( she of the wooden sword ). They do have their issues with their siblings, but that's just that much more realistic. Very Happy

Amelia from Slayers is a little too righteous, I think.

And in my family... yeah, we fought like cats and dogs until we grew up. So I agree, these guys never had siblings. Rolling Eyes
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Ask me any day of the week and my answer will always be Sakura Kinomoto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6