• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Ben-to Dub Release Until Further Notice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Probably, though I have to wonder how much reverse-import damage they're fearing when Funi's original release date was ~2.5 years after the Japanese release, and there was no hint of any R1 release during the JP release's prime sales window. Extreme paranoia, I guess.

There was a Blu-ray box release not too long ago in March. Looking at Amazon JP, the imported US release is listed there from a marketplace seller at about half the price of that Blu-ray box.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
If it's due to getting TV masters, better now than when it's already out. Nothing seems to anger buyers more than finding out they got a incomplete version.

If it's not and due to Japan raising a stink about the BR coming out so close to their BR set. Why not just release a DVD-only release right now and eventually BR version later(like they did with Heaven's Lost Property & Is This a Zombie)? Better to get some sales than none at all.

Ali07 wrote:
I wonder if this will impact Madman's September release in Aus? Have no idea if they were planning on releasing it with the English dub.

Considering they just announced the release this week, they might still announce a delay just like Funimation did.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Also regarding Sankrea, I thought the regular release was the fixed version, you know the one that comes with just the slipcover and on box. I assumed that one was fixed.

Nothing has been fixed yet for Sankrea. I know the Navy Exchange is still selling the bad version, even though they were told about it. So there hasn't been any recall. Makes one wonder if Funimation is letting time go by hoping that we will all forget about it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:

Like others have said, I think as much blame falls on the Japanese licensors who are giving the TV broadcast version to foreign distributors for home video release. Maybe a little sham to prevent reverse importation?

Or the Japanese licensors seem to look down on foreign anime fans. The whole "reverse importation" thing, I'm still skeptical of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
What exactly is the difference between the TV and home video version? A bit more skin?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
What exactly is the difference between the TV and home video version? A bit more skin?

TV version=censored (there's usually animation error and other stuff)

home video version=uncensored (and inconsistent animation is fixed)

Here's an article from Kotaku that talked about differences between home video and TV differences of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
TheSeventhSense wrote:

TV version=censored (there's usually animation error and other stuff)

home video version=uncensored (and inconsistent animation is fixed)

Here's an article from Kotaku that talked about differences between home video and TV differences of anime.

I was actually asking to see if anybody had a comparison of the TV and home video version. Is it just there are some animation errors in the TV version or was something censored in the TV version that would've been in the home video version?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
As far I know, there isn't any release update for the uncensored Sankarea or the still anticipated Eva 3.3

I don't know when this will happen, but on Rightstuf there's a statement that says Eva 3.33's "release has been delayed to accommodate the theatrical run of the film". When that will happen, I don't know. But it's more information than I had a month ago.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Only real differences with the uncensored version of Ben-to vs the TV broadcast is their is tons of full on panty shots and that one fighting girl who's face was always covered by some sort of shot/angle we get to see what she looks like.

The whole just release a DVD now and Blu-Ray latter is the stupidest idea ever and a insult to the paying customers who keep Funimation and companies like them in business. I'm tired of supporting them day of release then having to go back and re-buy the show latter on to get it the way it should have been in the first place. If they can't release the Blu-Ray right away at least tell us when you plan or hope to have released it's not that hard so that we can plan and wait it out. But no Funimation as always will dance around their answers and be vague and clueless as possible.

As for Eva 3.33 they had what two theater runs already, do they plan a third? It's been over a year since Japan has had their home video release, hell I might as well import the dam thing if they can't at least get us a planned release date and it's my least favorite of the Rebuild Films.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

The whole just release a DVD now and Blu-Ray latter is the stupidest idea ever and a insult to the paying customers who keep Funimation and companies like them in business. I'm tired of supporting them day of release then having to go back and re-buy the show latter on to get it the way it should have been in the first place. If they can't release the Blu-Ray right away at least tell us when you plan or hope to have released it's not that hard so that we can plan and wait it out. But no Funimation as always will dance around their answers and be vague and clueless as possible.

Blame it on Japanese licensors, this is why I'm skeptic of the "reverse importation" crap. Japanese govt passed a ban on reverse imports of foreign versions of Japanese music CDs long time ago thinking that reverse imports hurt the Japanese markets. Well guess what, it didn't help the music market in Japan at all, the music revenue in Japan continue to decline according to Billboard Biz in March.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I get the reverse importation fears whether they be founded or not.

But the problem is and this happens with Funimation more than other companies. Look I get it sometimes when they first license a show they only can get the DVD rights and sometime down the line eventually or maybe they get the Blu-Ray rights.

Would it kill them to say hey we are in the process and or plan on a Blu-Ray release? No it wouldn't I'm not demanding a official release date just a approximate hope to release by date.

Anime now a days have a DVD and Blu Ray release at the same time in Japan so the materials for the Blu Ray are their.

Now say it was a older show and the Blu Ray version came at a latter date as a re-release and wasn't available at the time I perfectly understand which is the case with a lot of current Sentai titles.

One of the reasons I refuse to buy Railgun season 1 and 2, not only did it take Funimation way too dam long to release them after buying Index on DVD the image quality was awful. So I refuse to buy any more of either franchise unless it's on Blu Ray.

It's sad that a big part of my collection is from Funimation but it seems like they can't get their act together after being in the number 1 spot for many years now.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
@Dfens: I understand, as I said you might want to put the blame on Japanese companies, not Funimation. Japan has a lot of ridiculous redtapes and regulations that shouldn't be there and that makes it hard for anime on blu-ray to get release in the US. Also the reverse import thing as I said I'm skeptical, I can't find any data proving that reverse importation is real (I can't find any statistic or graph or chart from Japan that back it up) and really hurt the market. Also the whole "piracy hurt anime", I just became a skeptic after finding some evidences that the "piracy hurt anime" could be nothing but lie.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
TL;DR of parts of this thread:

FUNimation releases a sub-par product, has to recall/replace it - cue complaining

FUNimation delays a product for presumably sub-par quality reasons - cue complaining

They can't win, apparently.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
How about they get their act together and make sure the product is good to go before the put out a release date instead of the usual oh we are sorry stay tuned and not get any response.

Now say at the last second or during the print run something outside of their control happened and they now have to find a way to fix it, I could give them a pass and understand.

Seems like now a days you keep hearing about more and more screw ups in the industry and wonder who is doing what, who the hell is in charge over seeing everyone, and how does this stuff keep happening?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Seems like now a days you keep hearing about more and more screw ups in the industry and wonder who is doing what, who the hell is in charge over seeing everyone, and how does this stuff keep happening?

It leads me to believe that even if something like a Lodoss license rescue happened, they'd still be given the 20 year old garbage masters. I'm glad MB dropped their plans on that OVA, since that was likely going to be the outcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4