• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Edge of Tomorrow's U.S. Box Office Climbs to US$61 Million in 2nd Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
It could reach $100 million domestically, but it's still done for here. Unless it pulls a Pacific Rim overseas, it's done for and going to lose money for Warner Bros.

Can't Bruise the Cruise, it'll still draw some international money because of him alone, but I wonder what it will do for planning future anime/manga adaptations. This was the first really expensive one, and even with Cruise and Blunt it didn't do so hot, despite critical success. Maybe moving on to Japanese nerd properties is just a matter of course when they've already depleted the Western ones.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
It could reach $100 million domestically, but it's still done for here. Unless it pulls a Pacific Rim overseas, it's done for and going to lose money for Warner Bros.

Can't Bruise the Cruise, it'll still draw some international money because of him alone, but I wonder what it will do for planning future anime/manga adaptations. This was the first really expensive one, and even with Cruise and Blunt it didn't do so hot, despite critical success. Maybe moving on to Japanese nerd properties is just a matter of course when they've already depleted the Western ones.
Part of it not succeeding was probably due to not good marketing unfortunately. And the marketing is getting worse...
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1199361024/tt1631867?ref_=tt_ov_i

That's the new theatrical poster after the movie came out. And this is what the title card looks like on the TV ads now...
https://twitter.com/raysubers/status/477329833920172033
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
BOM's current global take for the film is $292 million. So, worst-case scenario is that it will break even, which is probably more than will be said about Jupiter Ascending.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
BOM's current global take for the film is $292 million. So, worst-case scenario is that it will break even, which is probably more than will be said about Jupiter Ascending.
True, that one is most definitely done for, especially since it's now being released in February, one of the absolute worst months for movies. No way is it going to not bomb incredibly hard (And it's also probably going to suck).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2