• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What genres of anime do you like? Why?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sosuke Aizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
My kind of genres are Action,Adventure and fantasy because I like it when the character just goes completely beast Very Happy
I love fantasy because its just different from what happens from real life and it makes my imagination set off.
What genres do you like?
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I like both Fantasy and Adventure Fiction as well Sosuke. I love watching tales that takes places in worlds different from ours and the characters exploring these worlds. There's like this sense of wonder and romance to it that I just enjoy, as well as the fun aspect as well.I also like slice of life anime because sometimes I just like to watch a show that is relaxing. Plus those stories too can be fun. Recently I seem to be taking an interest Mystery, as I seem to be engage with the protagonist who is solving the mystery. It's like I am playing myself a game in which I an figuring out who cause the crime to happen in the first place, and its fun when the answer is reveal (though it can be sad sometimes as well depending on the character who was caught and their reasoning for committing the crime from the start).

That's all of the genres I can think of that I like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Sosuke Aizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I feel you Brother,
I might check out the mystery genre, sound kinda cool
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Sosuke Aizen & Aquasakura--

Welcome to the fora!

As for which genres I prefer, those would be tragedy and thriller; I don't rightly know why. Maybe I like tragedy because I'm so warped; and maybe I like thrillers because I can't wait to see what happens next.

Maybe.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Of course every gendre has it's gems but I think my most consistent winner is the mecha gendre. Even when it's crap it's usually still fairly enjoyable.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I like slice of life because I find it relaxing. The pacing is always gentle and the character development is the first thing I look for in anime series.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Sosuke Aizen"]I feel you Brother,
I might check out the mystery genre, sound kinda cool
[/quote]

Alright! The only mystery story I can recommend right now that is a manga (and even though this is about anime I'm making an exception) is "Great Detective Conan" by Gosho Aoyama. It was this story I had fun with while the protagonist was solving mysteries. The only problem for this story might be that it is too long (I really wish Viz would either release an omnibus collection or publish these graphic novels digitally. It's long overdue), but if you don't mind long series then you wouldn't mind.

[quote="nbahn"]Sosuke Aizen & Aquasakura--

Welcome to the fora![/quote]

Thanks for the welcome nbahn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo, magical girl, and romance because the world needs more "power of love".

............what?

I'm completely serious!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm completely serious!

We have been often made aware of that.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

............what?

I'm completely serious!

Is it bad that I read that with Flonne's voice in my head?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

............what?

I'm completely serious!

Is it bad that I read that with Flonne's voice in my head?

HAHAHA FLONNE IS IN MY TOP TEN CHARACTERS ON MAL.

..........so no, that's accurate.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
I like science fiction preferably of the dystopian/utopian or psychological kind. I always feel scifi can provide great reflections on today's sociological status quo, and I like "what if..." scenarios. But I especially enjoy it when things set outside of my comfort zone manage to really get me, so I try to approach things as open minded as possible.
Sosuke Aizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks, I might check Detective conan out! Very Happy
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
I can pretty much enjoy any genre EXCEPT ones that feature mecha/super robot and/or martial arts/fighting kind of stuff. I don't know what it is, but those particular themes just do not appeal to me. I can still enjoy a straight-up action/adventure anime, but once it crosses into the aforementioned territories, it's not for me. There are a few exceptions (Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, Soul Eater, Kenichi, and a few others), but generally, I consciously avoid such titles.

My favorite genres, however, would probably be slice of life/comedy, mystery, horror, and supernatural/magical girl.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
There are a few exceptions (Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, Soul Eater, Kenichi, and a few others), but generally, I consciously avoid such titles.

While playing a Super Robot Wars game a friend of mine voiced his dislike for the gendre. He also disliked shounen stuff and his exceptions were pretty much the same as yours. I theorized that he wasn't fond of the "burning passion" and "who's the strongest!?" elements. So I suggest seeking series that avoid those. You might find some gems.

It's cool that you mentioned Soul Eater because that's my #1 classic example of "an anime exception to every rule" since there's no way I'd normally watch a show like that but by chance I eventually did and I loved it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2