• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comcept Opens 2nd Mighty No. 9 Game Crowdfunding Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
People love to hem-and-haw about how much things should cost.

I'm no expert, but I'd like to throw Skullgirls into the ring as an example: they made a few hundred grand, but they're working at the absolute minimum wage.

Games cost money to make. This here sounds like a vanity thing. If it works, we'll eat our words. If it doesn't, then Inafune will be a laughingstock.

Business as usual.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
Is it a vanity thing? Many games have DLC, this dub is something similar. "Want an extra for the game, then pay for it." Might be a simplistic way to look at it, but I don't see how a dub for the game ties into the other stuff they're doing with this property.

DLCs seem to be becoming a common practice, sadly. Only way to enjoy some games to the fullest is to buy DLCs. I guess the difference between DLCs and this is that the dub hasn't been made?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
If they're willing to pay for it, let them have it. Some otaku are willing to pay thru the nose for some trinkets.

Ali07 wrote:

DLCs seem to be becoming a common practice, sadly. Only way to enjoy some games to the fullest is to buy DLCs. I guess the difference between DLCs and this is that the dub hasn't been made?

Games are now costing more than the $60 per sale to fund, but retailers balk at stocking games that cost more than $60 retail, so publishers get them back thru DLCs. At least in Japan retailers don't mind charging games more than that, how ever much it cost to get their money back and then some.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Anyone who believes a GOOD game (and not a RUSHED game meeting minimum requirements to be a game) can be made for $3.5 Million (which they didn't even get, because Kickstarter takes 10-15% off the top) are deluding yourselves.

#1. According to the kickstarter page, the campaign raised #3.84 mil, I assume the $3.5mil figure is AFTER KS expenses. (acutally, according to the page, including paypal monies (which I assume were not subject to KS fees, they cleared over $4mil)
#2. If you can't make the thing for what you're asking, then ask for more at the beginning, don't low-ball and then come back for more (I think it's especially poor to do that after making QUADRUPLE your requested figure).
#3. It's been a while, but once upon a time I DID work in game dev. Considering that most developers work in the industry BECAUSE they want to/love it, you can CERTAINLY get the labor at a "discount", so a solid team of TEN developers for $100k/dev is not ridiculous (probably even a bit high honestly). (and 10 devs is PLENTY for a freaking side-scroller) That's $1mil for a year's worth of dev. Say you throw $1mil at art and music, $500k at planning, you have easily $1mil left to figure out back-end development and maybe (if you can get ahead of schedule) some marketing. Considering you've sold over 67,000 copies right up front, it seems like marketing is not ENTIRELY necessary, but whatever.

I'm not saying you CAN'T blow $10mil or more on a game, but I'm saying you don't NEED to.

(Also, while I realize it has been almost 30 years since then, wikipedia has this to say about Mega Man: "The development team for Mega Man consisted of only six people.")
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If they're willing to pay for it, let them have it. Some otaku are willing to pay thru the nose for some trinkets.

Ali07 wrote:

Games are now costing more than the $60 per sale to fund, but retailers balk at stocking games that cost more than $60 retail, so publishers get them back thru DLCs. At least in Japan retailers don't mind charging games more than that, how ever much it cost to get their money back and then some.

I don't mind the practice for used game sales, however if pay 60-100 dollars for a bran new game I expect to have all the content if it's available on the disc. Locking people out of content on something they physically own is bull shite. Such companies as capcom, ea, ubisoft and even square-enix have been called out on using such tactics and it's shitty.

In rare cases I don't mind paying for dlc if expands the world of the game. Fallout 3/NV, Elder Scrolls IV-V or even GTA if it's worth the Are decent examples of doing this right.

To Ali07 Oops I made a mistake, fair enough then
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
^No worries.

enurtsol wrote:

See, that is something I really didn't know, as you don't see new games at $60 retail in Australia. Usually, you're looking at $80+ for new games. Most of the bigger titles are at $90-100AUD.

And I doubt that the $20-40 dollar difference is all down to shipping and the difference between AUD and USD (which has been floating at around 5c for years now).

But, I'm talking about is for consoles. Handheld games are usually in the $60-80 range when they come out brand new. The majority of handheld games are at the $70 price point here.

HeeroTX wrote:
#2. If you can't make the thing for what you're asking, then ask for more at the beginning, don't low-ball and then come back for more (I think it's especially poor to do that after making QUADRUPLE your requested figure).

Of course, that works off the assumption that dubbing was actually a possibility before the Kickstarter was funded.

It's obvious that a lot of doors opened for them once the Kickstarter wrapped up, a dub might've been one of those things.

If the door wasn't open to them, they might've already projected their spending and weren't able to spare the money to make the dub. Do we even know if the $100K is to full fund it or not?
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
People seriously need to calm done and realise one simple fact. This campaign is for a dub and a dub only (at least until it reaches 100k anyway). The game is still coming regardless if this succeeds or doesn't, and in fact looking at the available info it looks likely it won't succeed.

People who have already backed can just be thankful he isn't using the funds from the main project to fund the dub. They are simply asking for a bit more money for something that some people might be interested in getting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2