• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Senran Kagura Release Does Not Include OVA Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
That is what they call "Service with a smile", they are laughing, all the way to the bank. What car is Gen Fukunaga riding?
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
If this is another example of licensing restriction and the Japanese side backstab Funimation by not including OVA episodes in the R1 release, this won't surprise me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Nisekoi was done by Shaft, that spells out stupid changes for the home release every single time.
As for screw ups in art in the actual show, that's on the studio, not the R1 publisher. R1 needs to make sure that they are releasing the best product they can, and personally I think having to wait up to an extra 3 years for a BD version(ex. Is this a zombie of the dead) of a show is stupid.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Theory: Funimation had the OVAs all long (why they had official English translated titles) but someone didn't do their job and forgot to include them on the discs.

Rather than spend more money manufacturing new discs and having a bunch of stock returned (e.g. Sankarea) it's easier for Funimation to lie and say they never had the OVAs.

Fans still buy the combo pack (OVAs are always a great extra but majority buy for actual show) and "everybody wins"

(except maybe the individual who caused the mess and might possibly be fired)

*AFAIK there are no plans for a re-issued Senran Kagura release correct?

Problem with this as some people already mentioned, is some fans already saw the series subbed (simulcast) or already watched the dub online (FUNi EVS subscription) so the extras (specifically the OVAs) were really the only reason left to buy & own the DVD/BD combo pack.

If the OVAs were excluded for a more racy anime e.g. upcoming Freezing Vibration (I really hope FUNi gets their sh*t together by then and is consistent with season 1 and dubs these extras too...) you can bet fans would be a lot angrier.

While it's nice to own all anime content within a few discs I'm curious why Funimation never tried to make their website more appealing by streaming content exclusive to it

They could always upload the Senran Kagura OVAs in the future (while they're at it, I know tons of fans who are still angry High School DxD's Fantasy Jiggles Unleashed shorts weren't dubbed...)

Exclusive website-only content = more subscribers

@Adam Sheehan: There's an idea that will earn you a pay raise (Leader of Funimation.com isn't exactly a creative department...)

If an anime gets a new OVA, special or bonus episode years after the original release, most R1 companies think it's not worthwhile to release it individually and re-releasing the entire series with the extra content is basically a middle finger to customers to bought the original release.

Sentai Filmworks however proved it's possible.

Originally the High School of the Dead OVA was going to be an exclusive to The Anime Network but then got an individual DVD & Blu-ray release. And now is getting included with a Premium Combo Pack re-release of the entire series.

Last edited by FrameFreeze100 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Oops talk about a bad mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
People are going to use this as an excuse to justify stealing it offline, I can already see it.

It sucks for the people that wanted to watch the OVAs, but I don't really care for them personally. If they decided to release them on for subscribers later I wouldn't be opposed.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
They should release it later on BD... for cheap. It's BS that it's not included and a little "gomen" isn't going to solve the issue.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Very funny. If people were willing to pay $300 for 12 episodes, I could see Funimation and the rest of the R1 companies acceding to all your demands.

Unfortunately, most R1 costumers appear to be self-entitled brats who expect only excellency, despite wanting to only pay 30 meager dollars for 12 episodes dubbed and on BD.

There is hardly any new anime TV series that sells for 30 dollars nowadays.

I see no problem with customers expecting the retail version of a product, no problem with customers being told that a replacement version would come out, and having the expectation that it would come out, and I have no problem with customer's expecting 'truth in advertising'.

As with everything else, when a customer buys a product, they expect that product to be excellent. Why should anime customers be any different?
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Very funny. If people were willing to pay $300 for 12 episodes, I could see Funimation and the rest of the R1 companies acceding to all your demands.

Unfortunately, most R1 costumers appear to be self-entitled brats who expect only excellency, despite wanting to only pay 30 meager dollars for 12 episodes dubbed and on BD.

There is hardly any new anime TV series that sells for 30 dollars nowadays.

I see no problem with customers expecting the retail version of a product, no problem with customers being told that a replacement version would come out, and having the expectation that it would come out, and I have no problem with customer's expecting 'truth in advertising'.

As with everything else, when a customer buys a product, they expect that product to be excellent. Why should anime customers be any different?

Because for some reason a lot of anime fans think we should be honored that we are even allowed to watch these cartoons. That we should be thankful that it's on sale at all, even if it has missing content, edited episodes, packaging errors, missing subs, or anything else. Just be thankful and send them your 50 dollars!
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

when you buy a box of raisin cereal don't you expect to get raisins in it? or do you just like to eat plain cereal?
when you buy a car do you expect to get a car or a motorcycle?

regardless of price, if the packaging lists the contents then those contents need to be included.
this is not a 'suggestion', this is borderline a deceptive business practice and borderline a violation of the law.

of course, people make mistakes and that's understandable, but don't go around defending them claiming, "well, they don't have to if they don't want to", because, yes, they do have to.

I personally bought this for those extra episodes because they were listed on the box, and this cost me 43$ with express shipping.

not that it matters, I planned to buy it anyway but I do not like being lied to and this only encourages more internet piracy.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
People are going to use this as an excuse to justify stealing it offline, I can already see it.

It sucks for the people that wanted to watch the OVAs, but I don't really care for them personally. If they decided to release them on for subscribers later I wouldn't be opposed.

Justify?

do you own pants? are you wearing underwear on your head?
do you think calvin klein 'invented' pants?

you sir are stealing someone else's idea and you are a pirate and a thief.
take your pants off right now.

If funimation does not have the rights as they said, then no one is stealing money from funimation. As for watching shows 'not licensed' in your territory and downloaded online, every country has different laws in regards to copyright.

copyright laws were made to ensure the creator's would get paid.
the japanese company is getting paid in japan just like they want.
if they dont want to sell it elsewhere, that is their business but don't go around crying people are stealing money from idiots who do not even sell the products in a store where you live.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
Couldn't agree more. I don't think its selfish to want my anime with the content they listed, along with the show in HD on a BD. I'm still upset over the Girls und Panzer release since I only bought the show after a representative told me that the Katyusha song was replaced by an instrumental version of the same song. What I got was Tetris Theme A...(Okay so its really called Korobeiniki, but seriously, its the Tetris A song now.)
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of disappointed that FUNimation didn't catch this earlier, it seems like something that would've been caught at multiple stages. With as much as they do, though, I guess things like this will happen at least once.
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's pure laziness since it was accidentally listed with the OVAs included, that's odd that they wouldn't have the rights to the OVAs though.

That sounds quite normal, actually. In fact, it's sometimes more of a surprise that a release does include extra OVAs since the majority of OVAs, omakes, specials, etc. . . have rights separate from the main series, especially those released with manga/novel volumes.
angelmcazares wrote:
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
This is ridiculous and the constant failures by FUNI, Sentai and others is really getting unimaginable. There needs a reform, no more cutting out BDs, no more missing OVAs, no more crap yellow subs. It's 2014, we need to stop accepting anything less than great.

All of this. Everyone, myself included, wants to see all sorts of materials and content on every disc we buy in the highest quality possible for the least amount of money possible. The problem is that some people feel entitled to it, just because something is getting released for $40 means that they should be paying $40 for every single bit of content of that series available, not to mention that the price that most people pay for their anime are noticeable cheaper than the MSRP.

If FUNimation, Sentai, Viz, etc. . . thought that they could sell just as many copies of a series for, say, $150 as they do at $40, but with all of the cool extras, omakes, OVAs, and specials that everyone wants, then they'd probably do it. But they won't, because they can't, because people want to pay $40 for $150 of content, instead of the $40 for $70 of content that they're already paying.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Good thing an ova dedicated to some Kiriya fanservice was not made, otherwise I'd be really pissed right now. Mad Shocked
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
So I guess they are selling it as a side? They did that with some shows before.

I guess it's still not as shockingly expensive and Japanese discs were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6