• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Senran Kagura Release Does Not Include OVA Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
I'm kind of disappointed that FUNimation didn't catch this earlier, it seems like something that would've been caught at multiple stages. With as much as they do, though, I guess things like this will happen at least once.
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's pure laziness since it was accidentally listed with the OVAs included, that's odd that they wouldn't have the rights to the OVAs though.

That sounds quite normal, actually. In fact, it's sometimes more of a surprise that a release does include extra OVAs since the majority of OVAs, omakes, specials, etc. . . have rights separate from the main series, especially those released with manga/novel volumes.
angelmcazares wrote:
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
This is ridiculous and the constant failures by FUNI, Sentai and others is really getting unimaginable. There needs a reform, no more cutting out BDs, no more missing OVAs, no more crap yellow subs. It's 2014, we need to stop accepting anything less than great.

Very funny. If people were willing to pay $300 for 12 episodes, I could see Funimation and the rest of the R1 companies acceding to all your demands.

Unfortunately, most R1 costumers appear to be self-entitled brats who expect only excellency, despite wanting to only pay 30 meager dollars for 12 episodes dubbed and on BD.

All of this. Everyone, myself included, wants to see all sorts of materials and content on every disc we buy in the highest quality possible for the least amount of money possible. The problem is that some people feel entitled to it, just because something is getting released for $40 means that they should be paying $40 for every single bit of content of that series available, not to mention that the price that most people pay for their anime are noticeable cheaper than the MSRP.

If FUNimation, Sentai, Viz, etc. . . thought that they could sell just as many copies of a series for, say, $150 as they do at $40, but with all of the cool extras, omakes, OVAs, and specials that everyone wants, then they'd probably do it. But they won't, because they can't, because people want to pay $40 for $150 of content, instead of the $40 for $70 of content that they're already paying.

The problem is even when they aren't reduced prices we are getting screwed with. The Gurren Lagann BD set was selling for 600 dollary doo's. I get that it was a straight import but for that price couldn't you include some subs on the specials? There are multiple interviews with staff and Seiyuu's on the collection that are absolutely worthless to most R1 fans since they are raw. If I'm gonna spend over half a grand on one show, You damn well I'm gonna be entitled.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
The short OVAs disappointingly did not have any nudity whatsoever, though it was still racy and makes buying the show a little more tolerable. However, now without them, not only does the release seem pretty pointless, it makes the MA rating they gave look even more ridiculous since the fanservice content of the TV eps is practically zero.

If Funimation decides to release a future version with the OVAs I will buy.

Anyways, listing it with titles, then saying they didn't have the rights at the end, makes it seems like something broke down or was misunderstood in the contract negotiations with the Japanese licensor, or the licensor suddenly changed terms. Because usually Funimation is very good at getting the extra animations or OVAs (unlike Sentai) especially for their fanservice titles since they know it's important. Even their sub-only OniAi had all the extras.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
KidOblivion wrote:
People are going to use this as an excuse to justify stealing it offline, I can already see it.

It sucks for the people that wanted to watch the OVAs, but I don't really care for them personally. If they decided to release them on for subscribers later I wouldn't be opposed.

Justify?

do you own pants? are you wearing underwear on your head?
do you think calvin klein 'invented' pants?

you sir are stealing someone else's idea and you are a pirate and a thief.
take your pants off right now.

If funimation does not have the rights as they said, then no one is stealing money from funimation. As for watching shows 'not licensed' in your territory and downloaded online, every country has different laws in regards to copyright.

copyright laws were made to ensure the creator's would get paid.
the japanese company is getting paid in japan just like they want.
if they don't want to sell it elsewhere, that is their business but don't go around crying people are stealing money from idiots who do not even sell the products in a store where you live.

So it's appropriate to just steal it because it's not available in your country?

You're telling me that I can go and download fansubs of Detective Conan because FUNimation didn't license the rest? No, I can't, just because it's not available to me doesn't mean I can steal it. It's not my product, I don't own it, didn't pay for it, therefore I have absolutely no right to take it.

If you want it, import it, it's that simple, if you want to download the fansub text file and dump the .mkv file to your computer that's reasonable. But you don't have the right to take it for such a petty reason.

No matter how anyone tries to twist it, stealing is wrong in every country. Downloading or streaming shows for free is stealing. You're not giving back to the project in any way.

[EDIT: Don't disable BBCode if you're going to quote people. ~Zalis]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
ArmyOfDarkness wrote:
I had seen Senran Kagura, and I beat the hell out of burst on 3DS, so those OVAs were the only reason I was planning on buying the series. So relieved I decided to wait for some reason. This is ridiculous and the constant failures by FUNI, Sentai and others is really getting unimaginable. There needs a reform, no more cutting out BDs, no more missing OVAs, no more crap yellow subs. It's 2014, we need to stop accepting anything less than great.
I challenge you to name one Funi disc release from the last 10 years that had yellow subtitles. And that's a color that's mysteriously only "crap" when companies use it, anyway.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
The problem is even when they aren't reduced prices we are getting screwed with. The Gurren Lagann BD set was selling for 600 dollary doo's. I get that it was a straight import but for that price couldn't you include some subs on the specials? There are multiple interviews with staff and Seiyuu's on the collection that are absolutely worthless to most R1 fans since they are raw. If I'm gonna spend over half a grand on one show, You damn well I'm gonna be entitled.

Yep, because Aniplex USA's business model and practices are, and always have been, completely indicative of all of the other R1 publishers.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
ArmyOfDarkness wrote:
I had seen Senran Kagura, and I beat the hell out of burst on 3DS, so those OVAs were the only reason I was planning on buying the series. So relieved I decided to wait for some reason. This is ridiculous and the constant failures by FUNI, Sentai and others is really getting unimaginable. There needs a reform, no more cutting out BDs, no more missing OVAs, no more crap yellow subs. It's 2014, we need to stop accepting anything less than great.
I challenge you to name one Funi disc release from the last 10 years that had yellow subtitles. And that's a color that's mysteriously only "crap" when companies use it, anyway.

I applaud Funi that they stopped using Yellow subs, but as you can see in my quote I mentioned Sentai, who to this day, still use yellow subs. I don't follow your final statement though, care to elaborate?

@gravediggernalk
That is completely unrelated to the point I was making. You stated that companies don't include all the content because of the price they sell it at, which anyone will admit, is highly reduced compared to the extremely outdated Japanese model. All I was saying was there are examples of high priced collector editions with lacking content for Western fans. I never said that Funi or ViZ or whoever would do the same, but it has happened.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
No matter how anyone tries to twist it, stealing is wrong in every country. Downloading or streaming shows for free is stealing. You're not giving back to the project in any way.

As is buying it used or borrowing from a friend or renting it or even just having some stranger give it to you {And yes, that's how I got X the series}. And don't give me the "someone at some point paid money for it" because then you lose your high ground because that is the stupidest sort of assumption you could make. Why did Netflix stop carrying new anime? Yeah, guess why.

Watching a TV show? The ends justify the means. I love your idea though; Obtaining separate fan subs for free for overpriced imported shows is still not stealing because ...you say so.

And downloading the end product of that same event... which someone paid for the product themselves, and deleting it once you watch it is still stealing as you can just import a blind buy instead...

But I hate arguing moral irregularities in the age of free dissemination of information versus the dissemination of free information {the very technology that makes it possible to import product you can't use also gives you the chance to obtain a copy in the time it takes to place the order. If Japan wasn't so fixated on hard copies, we wouldn't be in this mess} the point is Funimation's false advertising.

These are OVA bonus shorts and not complete episodes? The stuff produced for free in order to get fools to buy product of lower quality but filled with fan service, the kind of shorts that came free with the US releases of Samurai Girl series and Queen's Blade series or more like shorts of the Girls Und Panzer variety, which have bits of the plot...

Never mind, answered my own question. How did they not get licensed with the show? I can understand how Funimation didn't learn that they weren't in there until it was too late, the cover art could be done by marketing while DVD authoring is completely different branch.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

I applaud Funi that they stopped using Yellow subs, but as you can see in my quote I mentioned Sentai, who to this day, still use yellow subs. I don't follow your final statement though, care to elaborate?

I wish FUNi would use yellow subs, as their current default can be unnecessarily difficult to make out when placed against a light-colored background. The reason so many companies use yellow for sub color is because it's extremely visible across almost every background hue, which is the fundamental purpose of subtitles in the first place.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
I'm sorry, but how the hell did they NOT know they had the rights to these OVAs and how the hell did someone NOT figure out the listing was an error and attempt to correct it?

This is laziness and stupidity at best and intentional false advertising, possibly fraud, at worst.

Hate to say it, but this is 4kids bad.and i dont take calling a company that likely.

not getting the rights is one thing,but saying that , then afterwards make a statement that there wont be any OVA extras, its idiocy at its finest. i would expect kid type companies like 4kids or nelvana to make dumb ass mistakes like these, but not funi. someone better get axed for this debacle,otherwise this will definitely hurt their bottom line and no massive amounts of DBZ movies and remakes will fix it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
I like yellow subs actual, considering a lot of white is used in various films and anime, yellow is color that sticks out and doesn't get blended into the background. I have seen a few subs that were almost unreadable because they were white and so much of the background was white.

Also the argument of what the cost in Japan is versus the US is nonsense. Price discrimination occurs because a company wants to maximize its profit so it charges as much as it can in each region based on certain factors in the region like wealth, tastes, etc. The best example of price discrimination is the movie matinee. Some films will only get sales from a group at a lower price, so theaters have an early showing called the matinee to meet the demands of those consumers. While the rest of us have to pay full price for the same film at later showings. This way the theatres sells a few extra tickets that they normally would not sell. It simply a business decision.

The same principle is in effect with anime in the West. Its not the same market with the same targets or anything else. The anime creators maxmize their profit by selling rights to a US distributor and gain a few extra bucks in the process. So stop bringing up this nonsensical argument of the West being "entitled" to only a third class good.

Besides its not like we get the same thing anyway. Our sales have no impact or close to no impact on the ultimate product. So we cannot sway if a show has a sequel or if its related merchandise comes or anything else. That is what the Japanese consumer gets for their extra purchase price, the ability to dictate whether a Japanese produced product continues or fails.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder if FUNimation realised the error but actually tried to negotiate the OVA rights in the interim, only giving up now to avoid a delay? Because I mean, if it took this long for them to notice, you have to wonder what else they haven't noticed. For example, could the power have been out at their office for months before someone realised "Why isn't the computer turning on?".

MarthKoopa wrote:
This would have been a big deal if the dub was any good, but it's awful so it's not much of a loss.

And I usually greatly enjoy Funi dubs... but this was... horribly unpleasant to listen to.

Considering that the Senran Kagura games are released with only Japanese audio, FUNimation's decision to even dub the show in the first place still baffles me.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
Wow. This was like the only anime I was planning to import this year aside from ToraDora (low stock and expensive) and School Days (I know it will be around and have other things to buy).

As a Senran Kagura fan who would put this on his shelf next to the Japanese game releases as well as Senran Kagura 2 which releases next month, it really puts me off supporting FUNimation on this project and perhaps other projects. I heard of Sankarea (which I read some of and enjoyed) having some problems, but being this close to releasing only to mess up while I'm interested in the project is pretty insulting.

J. Kudo wrote:
Good thing an ova dedicated to some Kiriya fanservice was not made, otherwise I'd be really pissed right now. Mad Shocked

Ignoring your username and how annoyed this release makes me, it would really be worse if there was a Kiriya fanservice OVA we were missing out on.

Ryu Shoji wrote:

Considering that the Senran Kagura games are released with only Japanese audio, FUNimation's decision to even dub the show in the first place still baffles me.

FUNimation dub nearly everything including the adaptations of works like Light Novels or games which never got an English release as it increases interest especially from the crowd who may had already imported the anime or something. While the established cast is iconic and this doesn't seem like it will have a good dub (on top of the show seeming weak in comparison to the games), it isn't that baffling a decision.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:10 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
This is ridiculous and the constant failures by FUNI, Sentai and others is really getting unimaginable. There needs a reform, no more cutting out BDs, no more missing OVAs, no more crap yellow subs. It's 2014, we need to stop accepting anything less than great.

Very funny. If people were willing to pay $300 for 12 episodes, I could see Funimation and the rest of the R1 companies acceding to all your demands.

Unfortunately, most R1 costumers appear to be self-entitled brats who expect only excellency, despite wanting to only pay 30 meager dollars for 12 episodes dubbed and on BD.

Really? Because I don't think we ask for much.

Most of us give a rat's behind about the special postcards or whatever - we just want the show, the OVAs, maybe some commentary tracks or whatever if it's not too much to ask.

FUNimation is neglecting to release the bare minimum here. There's no reason for me to buy their release when I could just rip the show from an illegal streaming site and burn it to my own DVD. There's going to be no difference except for DVD menus and trailers. They're neglecting one of the few reasons people buy anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:

Ryu Shoji wrote:

FUNimation dub nearly everything including the adaptations of works like Light Novels or games which never got an English release as it increases interest especially from the crowd who may had already imported the anime or something. While the established cast is iconic and this doesn't seem like it will have a good dub (on top of the show seeming weak in comparison to the games), it isn't that baffling a decision.

In the last couple of years, FUNimation have relaxed their whole "Dub all the things!" policy and have been putting out subtitle-only releases though.

Sure, FUNimation do license numerous anime based on manga/light novels/games/etc that haven't been released in English and they do give them English dubs on occasions, but just like how they care enough about consistency enough to get the cast of the Bayonetta games back for Bloody Fate, I would have thought that it would have been more logical to release Senran Kagura as subtitle-only.

I imagine it will only add to people prodding XSEED about why the upcoming releases of Shinovi Versus and Bon Appétit don't feature English audio.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
All this crying for 18 minutes of underage characters in pseudo-pornographic fashions... Jesus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6