• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Gamers Pick Their Favorite Video Game Companies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
SNK. Too bad they don't make video games anymore and just pachislot and idiot phone stuff. Such a shame, because I liked alot of SNK stuff throughout the 90's from Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, Shocktroopers, and tons of other stuff.

I used to like Capcom, but they've killed alot of great series like Final Fight, Breath Of Fire, and Resident Evil hasn't been good in a long time.

I wish Konami still made arcade beat'em ups... but it seems they've put all their focus on making Metal Gear films and doing weird stuff with Castlevania.

I used to be a big SquareSoft fan, but I just don't care about any of the newer games in the last 10 or so years really.

Sega used to be my favorite back in the early 90's... but they are pretty crap now. Virtua Fighter is the only Sega game I care about anymore and Sega doesn't care about it at all. Sonic is dead to me.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Its bad enough that Nintendo has such a big margin (I am not shocked they are first, but double second place, almost 20 times Sony), and that SE is 2, but then Capcom is 3, the same company that has earned the lovely moniker crapcom. And Tecmo Koei is 4th? I mean the fact that Sony, Namco, Sega, Level 5, and Konami barely top Capcom when combined all but throws out any credibility.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't like Square, at all, all because they tried to make me pay for the ending of a game that wasn't even good. f*** that noise, Atlus should have been higher. I'm surprised Namco isn't up there, lots of Tales Of fans in Japan. Not to mention the Storm series and Victory Vs.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="KidOblivion"]I don't like Square, at all, all because they tried to make me pay for the ending of a game that wasn't even good. f*** that noise, Atlus should have been higher. I'm surprised Namco isn't higher up there, lots of Tales Of fans in Japan. Not to mention the Storm series and Victory Vs.[/quote]
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
To the people wondering why Square and Capcom rank so high, keep in mind most of the people who complain are Americans. This is a Japanese poll.

Though honestly given how well their games still sell in America, even those complainers are in the minority compared to other Americans. Everyone likes to think their opinion matters but fail to realize most online hate is just a very small, annoying, vocal minority. It's best to pay them no mind, especially when it comes to non-American polls.

Nintendo is in a similar boat. They get criticized for lack of third party support, but they actually have quite a bit of third party support. The thing is when people say third party support they usually mean American games like all the yearly multiplatform games like Assassins Creed, which Japan doesn't really care about. Nintendo has Japanese directs focusing entirely on third party games quite often actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usf_ZelrmTY

-Stuart Smith
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo's my top fave, their games are usually a lot of fun and they have some really great multiplayer games for getting the party started (Smash bros. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Wii Sports, Donkey Kong, etc.) Plus Pokemon! Next... well I have a lot of Square Enix games that I still regularly play, so probably them. Konami's cool, and Namco makes one of my favorite fighting games (Soul Calibur) and Ace Combat. Level 5 also does some solid RPG's. I like Atlus and NIS, but I don't own enough of their games to put them in my faves. I like Overdrive's VN's.

^as an aside that Final Fantasy Explorers game looks cool. Looks like a mix of Kingdom Hearts and Crystal Chronicles gameplay.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I really like when people like Stuart Smith attempt to discredit everyone with that big "I'm so logical and rationale Internet arguments mean nothing" argument. I'm sure it's a big egro stroke when you appear sensible be deriding internet talk as pointless and irrelevant. But then it also makes you seem foolish because why the hell are you here if thats your viewpoint? Why even participate in a discussion forum if you think internet opinions mean nothing? No one here is under the impression that thier opinion is some law, the irony though is the people who say that come off as the ones who seem to think there's is.

"Oh it's all pointless, everyone else is a complainer"

Do you realize that you are now complaining? Do you realize that you seem to be pushing you're views on the matter over everyone elses?

Of course not, you're too pig headed to see that.

But I do like the ego trip of telling everyone what they actually want with the added snark and unsubtle remarks to make American games seem fun. Really classy and passive aggressive. Yep, American gamers just want thier yearly games on the Wii U. These games also of course do super poorly in Japan(*cough*WesterngamesaregainingsalesinJapan*cough*)

I also like you mention the criticism is against the WiiU and then post a 3DS video. Yep, thats a real argument there.

I'm not sure why this list should surprise anyone. These are all the big companies who make the most popular games. FF, DQ, KH, MGS, MH and so on are all very popular mainstream games Nintendo is extremely popular everywhere. This is the most predicable list out there and would almost be the same in America give or take a few.

Happy that the crap makers like NIS, Idea Factory, and so on aren't on this list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Since the people are few, I GUESS I can deal with Sega being low Evil or Very Mad

But of couuuuurse NINTENDO!
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Personally, my Top 3 would be something like:

1) Nintendo (They have Game Freak and Intelligent Systems yo).
2) Square Enix
3) Atlus

Quote:
Level-5, 2.7%: fans cited Dragon Quest as a recent popular game

Am I missing something, or? Sure they didn't mean Yo-Kai Watch?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Level 5's helped develop a lot of the recent DQ games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
My favorite company is Gust.
...Oh wait...
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Its only based on 73 people. A drop in the bucket when it comes to videogame fans. With opinions at that. SquareEnix
is on the chopping block after no news of FFXV.

....73 people!?
I can't help but wonder why bother with such a hilariously miniscule number.

The only thing that comes to mind is some boneheaded stunt meant to drum up interest.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy with the results. Nintendo has always been there for me! Their games have always been an escape for me. Yoshi's Island and my Gameboy were two of the things I always had with me when I was visiting my Papaw in the hospital as a kid. And years later when the DS came out, I played "Nintendogs" with my friends from church while my Mom was in choir. I also made a lot of friends through Pokemon and Smash Bro's. Nintendo is awesome! And they'll always be my video game hero's! Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Japan needs moar PC gaming, and I don't mean visual novels. Though I'm aware that there are multiple reasons why it's not much of a thing there.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
For all the incessant bitching that gamers do, they still pick SE as #2. Hypocrites much?

Well, in terms of games, SE is one of my favorites, but for the past 6 years or so, in terms of development, SE is at the bottom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3