• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project to Offer Clannad Visual Novel's Full-Voice Edition on Steam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Still cautious because I haven't heard the best things about their previous releases, but it IS better than nothing. All these years, finally...Clannad in the US Smile
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the survey paid off. I haven't played anything from Sekai before, how have their adaptions been?
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
Yay! Censored shit! Let's see how much they're going to butcher this.

Nothing at all is going to be censored. Clannad might barely qualify for a Teen rating by the ESRB for a few mild profanities and innuendoes. That's it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
OK I will bite, how the SFIO is sekai project was able to pull this off. I am serious this is something that publishers have been trying to do for a very long time and key has a very long history of not playing nicely with English speaking fans. Also I know ever move sekai project has made so far and I don't see how they have the fiances to do this.

Also for the love of the lord please give us a physical release.

I think this would be a good example of how things can change overtime. Maybe Key wasn't that interested in the Western VN market for quite a while, but I believe Sekai Project's recent survey played a good role into this as well.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Still cautious because I haven't heard the best things about their previous releases, but it IS better than nothing. All these years, finally...Clannad in the US Smile

To be fair that was the developer who messed up the release not sekai. However sekai is now quality checking the titles they get from developers. Also if planetarian is any example they will be using the fan translation (very good one)and editing it into an official version.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:

Wait, did they censor anything before?

I'm not too familiar with the licensed Visual Novel scene, because I hardly play them to begin with, but I did play School Days HD and that was un-mosaiced.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
acetatsujin wrote:

Wait, did they censor anything before?

I'm not too familiar with the licensed Visual Novel scene, because I hardly play them to begin with, but I did play School Days HD and that was un-mosaiced.

Nah, they never censor anything, that guy just doesn't know what he's talking about. Clannad is All-Ages, there's nothing even there to censor.
levonr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:

This is funny because in visual novels the sex scenes are censored in Japan but most visual novels released in the West are released with the sex uncensored. lol
Yes its not always perfect(If My Heart Had Wings) but its not like visual novels are always butchered, quite the opposite since companies usually uncensored them.
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder, are they going to be re-releasing the original PC version released back in 2004, or an updated versiob? Because that game ran in a window at a resolution of 800x600 and had several problems with fullscreen.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Well this will be pretty amazing. I'm so happy. I played the game almost 10 years ago (the image is the 10th anniversary art book image) and will buy it just to support it Smile

The only editing that happened were some scenes involving Sunohara in Kappei's route from the the PS2 version. So it would be interesting to see if they go PC version or PS2 version.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
This is a very great news! Although I prefer physical release.
I think it's a nice move by Sekai Project to choose Clannad first, because I think the most popular one by Key is Clannad. I'm hoping a lot for future releases!
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Would still prefer the PS3 (or any portable console) port but I get that's one hell of a lot harder (and more restrictive to sales) but I am quite excited and will definitely pick it up provided we get a physical copy in the future.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
Would still prefer the PS3 (or any portable console) port but I get that's one hell of a lot harder (and more restrictive to sales) but I am quite excited and will definitely pick it up provided we get a physical copy in the future.

Speaking of console VNs, I wonder how Robotics;Notes and other console-exclusive VNs would get released if localized in the future.
AeiroWultx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm both excited for this and a little worried. Why? Cause Clannad was EXTREMELY hard to get through. I tried to play through at least one character's route without a walk through. I got bad ends for every single one of them.

spoiler[Kappei's especially. I mean, how I was I suppose to know that you need Yusuke's wisdom and captivating voice to get past certain parts? Then again, Kappei wasn't in the anime.]

Wonder how people who plays VN's very casually will react to how hard it's gonna be to get through all of the routes and get the true end. I'm really glad that Key decided to dumb it down for Little Busters and Rewrite. In the end though, I'm still excited for it.
RaccoonGoon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
The sad part for me is that after losing my saves years ago, I recently started reading Clannad again and had only Nagisa's route and After Story left to read.

Now my motivation is waning because I'll be reading most of the content for the umpteenth time on the official English release,

Don't get me wrong though. This is a must buy for sure. I just have no idea when I'll get the full clear now...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3