• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the -monogatari franchise (my first exposure being the Bakamonogatari anime when it first came out). I also watched Nekomonogatari (Black) and Nisemonogatari when they became available but then stalled. Haven't watched anything for years and years.

Then I decided to buy the "First Season" light novels in a box set which includes Kizumonogatari, the three volumes of Bakamonogatari, the two volumes of Nisemonogatari and Nekomonogatari (Black).

My plan is to watch/re-watch everything that has been adapted to anime so far and read the novels as I go along. I already own Bakamonogatari and Crunchyroll offers a big chunk of the franchise. I did have to buy the three Kizumonogatari movies, as well as the Koyomimonogatari and Zoku Owarimonogatari sets because Crunchy doesn't offer those.

Thankfully, I own an all-region player and was able to order all five items from the UK (with free shipping!) thus avoiding AoA North America's high prices.

So I watched the three Kizu- movies and it reminded me why I love this franchise so much! Ahhhhh, good to be back in this world. I've started to read Kizumonogatari and am enjoying it. Assuming I like the first seven volumes, I guess I'll buy the rest of them as time goes on.

I can see why somebody might not like this franchise (it can be pretty talky), but if you're on its wavelength it's a lot of fun.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Blood-"
Thankfully, I own an all-region player and was able to order all five items from the UK (with free shipping!) thus avoiding AoA North America's high prices.[/quote]

Color me surprised since I would have thought that with the exchange rate, it would have been more expensive to order the UK release!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Thankfully, I own an all-region player and was able to order all five items from the UK (with free shipping!) thus avoiding AoA North America's high prices.

Color me surprised since I would have thought that with the exchange rate, it would have been more expensive to order the UK release!

Nope! Even though the seller was from the UK, I ordered the items off of ebay Canada and thus the price was in Canadian dollars. I have no idea what the UK price was. But let me give you an idea of the savings:

Kizumonogatari Part 1 cost me $34.46 CAD with free shipping. If I had bought that from TRSI it would have cost me $69.98 US... or roughly $90 CAD when you factor in the exchange rate! I saved $55 on one item alone. Needless to say, my all-region player has paid itself off many times over in savings over the years.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a big fan of the -monogatari franchise (my first exposure being the Bakamonogatari anime when it first came out). I also watched Nekomonogatari (Black) and Nisemonogatari when they became available but then stalled. Haven't watched anything for years and years.

Then I decided to buy the "First Season" light novels in a box set which includes Kizumonogatari, the three volumes of Bakamonogatari, the two volumes of Nisemonogatari and Nekomonogatari (Black).

My plan is to watch/re-watch everything that has been adapted to anime so far and read the novels as I go along. I already own Bakamonogatari and Crunchyroll offers a big chunk of the franchise. I did have to buy the three Kizumonogatari movies, as well as the Koyomimonogatari and Zoku Owarimonogatari sets because Crunchy doesn't offer those.

So I watched the three Kizu- movies and it reminded me why I love this franchise so much! Ahhhhh, good to be back in this world. I've started to read Kizumonogatari and am enjoying it. Assuming I like the first seven volumes, I guess I'll buy the rest of them as time goes on.

I can see why somebody might not like this franchise (it can be pretty talky), but if you're on its wavelength it's a lot of fun.

I am pretty sure I have seen everything, and although I have enjoyed it into completion, I also kind of hope that it stays completed. It ends up being a lot, and different arcs can have different success with me and I probably the audience in general. And I remember that the final arcs had some real significance to the journey of Koyomi.

The Pretty Boy Detective Club I believe was written by the same author, and directed by the same director as the Monogatari, instead following a female lead with titular pretty boys, and the same kind of talky stuff without generally going into the supernatural. Although I believe that the books might have actually crossed over in some way. If for some odd reason after binging the large amount of the Monogatari series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 am Reply with quote
@ DP - I believe all the light novels that have been released in English have been adapted but I also think there are some Japanese volumes that have not been released in English yet, so you may have to endure some more adaptation in the future!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up Kotaro Lives Alone. What a strange and often poignant little series. It's about a precocious and perceptive 4-year-old child who moves into an apartment, living alone (didn't see that coming, did ya!). His neighbors all kind of spontaneously start looking out for him. It looks like a sweet, quirky comedy, with simple, cartoony designs, but for a number of characters it does hit some dark places mixed in with the cuteness (none of the darker issues really onscreen beyond shouting). Still, it definitely goes for the feels.

I think it has some very interesting things to say about how adults interact with children, both good and bad, and often thoughtlessly or just outright not realizing how kids can receive offhand remarks or actions in unexpected ways. Mainly you just need to roll with the set-up and believe that all these people wouldn't call the authorities in. Once you manage that suspension of disbelief, the rest falls into place and I think is worth the time spent with it.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:57 am Reply with quote
Project A-Ko (1986): Project A-Ko holds a special place in my heart because I used to watch it on the Sci-Fi channel's anime block back in the day during the mid-late 90s. When I first saw Project A-Ko, it was during Apollo Smile's anime week in 1998, along with Galaxy Express 999 (1979) and a few other titles. The film was recently released on Blu-ray by Discotek, and I received my copy yesterday from Right Stuf. In my opinion, Project A-Ko is still a fantastic anime. The movie is jam-packed with action and hilarious comedic moments. Some may argue that the plot is illogical, but that is precisely what makes the film entertaining to watch. The film also has a great cast of memorable, funny, and likable characters.

Project A-ko is also a parody of all the classic anime from the 1960s-1980s, but you don't have to watch them enjoy it. The animation is incredible and holds up well. The animation in the film is very colorful and detailed. The film's remastering by Discotek has made it look even better by making it look so clean and fresh. Project A Ko's music is also very enjoyable and catchy to listen to. The English dub isn't bad, especially since the hammy voice acting, in my opinion, adds to the humor and story.

Overall, Project A-ko is a hilarious film from beginning to end. I recommend this film to anyone who enjoys wacky comedy and anime from the 1980s.Rating: 9/10

Tokyo Vice (1988): This is one of those anime films that I remember renting on VHS when I was a kid, over 20 years ago. Tokyo Vice aka The Tokyo Project was first released in Japan in 1988, but it was not released in the United States until 13 years later by Media Blasters. I decided to revisit it because I wanted to see if my opinion on it has changed or not. When I was 10, I thought Tokyo Vice was a decent anime, not the worst thing ever, as some people claim. I can see why so many people disliked it now that I've seen it again as an adult. Tokyo Vice is a dull and uninspiring anime. The characters are uninteresting, and the plot is incredibly boring. The writing is filled with bad action movie clichés and clumsy plot devices. I wanted to turn off this anime so badly because I had no interest in what was going on.

Tokyo Vice is a 53-minute film that felt like it took an eternity to finish. The English dub is, in my opinion, one of the worst I've ever seen for an anime. It's not one of those amusing bad dubs found in hentai titles like Bible Black or older OVA titles like Angel Cop. I felt like splinters were coming out of my hands because the English voice acting was so wooden. When it came to dubbing for this anime, it felt like none of the voice actors gave a damn. The only redeeming feature of Tokyo Vice is the animation. They spent more time creating cool mecha designs than they did writing a good script.

Overall, Tokyo Vice is a terrible anime, and there is plenty of better 80s sci-fi anime to watch instead. Don't even watch it for free because it's not worth it. Rating: 1.5/10
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti - it doesn't happen very often since I do keep up to date on new anime but every now and then a title completely blows by me. Such is the case with Kotaro Lives Alone, the existence of which I was completely unaware of until you mentioned it in this thread. Sounds interesting, I will definitely check it out. I guess if there is a title that might slip by me, it would be a Netflix offering.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll be interested to hear what you think. It's definitely a 3-episode-rule kind of series. All the characters are kinda like that too - first impressions can be deceiving and everyone has reasons for their behavior, so you just need to give them a chance to explain. Very Happy
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:56 am Reply with quote
This is embarrassing. I went to rewatch Ouran on Crunchyroll. Turns out they've got the new Closed Caption Subtitle thing that I was worried about and... this is embarrassing.

Can anyone guess what's wrong with Ouran on crunchyroll if you feel like watching it in Japanese with subtitles?

spoiler[ There are no subtitles.]
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Angel Cop - I've been meaning to watch Angel Cop again for a while, and I recently purchased the Discotek blu-ray steel book with features a brand-new transfer. For years, this anime has been one of my personal favorites. In my opinion, Angel Cop is still an awesome anime. Angel Cop is basically a cyberpunk poliziotteschi anime. It combines the cyberpunk setting that was popular with anime during the 1980s with gory action sequences similar to those found in Italian exploitation films. This anime has awesome characters, great action sequences, and a kick-ass soundtrack.

Angel Cop is a six-episode OVA miniseries that clocks in at nearly three hours. I would recommend watching it in parts than one sit down in my opinion. Angel Cop is jam-packed with nonstop action sequences that keep you entertained throughout. Gorehounds will enjoy the abundance of blood and gore. You also have a cool cast of fun characters and Angel is a badass female action hero. The story is nonsensical and hasn't aged very well, but I still enjoy it for what it is. I prefer the dub over the subversion because the English dub removes the anti-Semitic content that was present in the Japanese version. The dub also has a lot of cheesy onliners, which makes it a lot more fun to watch.

The new HD remaster by Discotek looks incredible, as if you're watching a moving cel animation come to life. Angel Cop, of course, has flaws because it isn't a perfect anime by any means. While I enjoyed the supporting cast, I think they could have been fleshed out a little more for the audience. Angel Cop's music score by Hiroshi Ogasawara (Basilisk: Koga Nimpo Cho) is often overlooked in my opinion. It's catchy, and it fits in nicely with the story's cyberpunk setting.

Overall, Angel Cop is a entertaining and outrageous action anime. You will be disappointed if you watch this anime expecting deep writing. I recommend this anime to people who enjoy gory action films or violent anime. Rating: 8/10
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm feeling a bit melancholic today. That's because I had to say goodbye to three slice of life shows that I was really enjoying: Slow Loop, Akebi's Sailor Uniform and My Dress-Up Darling. These were shows I usually saved for Sunday morning because, for me, that just felt like the right time to watch them. Anyway, now they are all over and I'm kinda bummed I won't be checking out what Marin and Goto's latest cosplay adventure will be as they fall in love with each other, I won't be chuckling at Hiyori and Koharu's latest fishing expedition while Koi bemusedly tags along and I won't be watching Akebi charm everybody around her with her joi de vivre. I feel like some old friends have left town. Sad
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I’m totally in agreement with you on all three counts, Blood-!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:12 am Reply with quote
@ Beltane70 - you are clearly a person of taste and refinement! Wink

Actually it's been a great season for SOL shows. In addition to the three listed above, I've been really enjoying Police in a Pod which I think you can argue is SOL too. It's certainly not a conventional police procedural or action show.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Also add for me Teasing Master Takagi-san, another series that I'm sad to see end!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1048 of 1062