• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Partners with Right Stuf to Release Gundam Franchise Stateside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Victory had one of the most crap tastic endings. Why people? To complete the collections? Mmmmm Yup.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Victory had one of the most crap tastic endings. Why people? To complete the collections? Mmmmm Yup.

that is hardly the case. F91 as well as 0083 were bad endings than victory gundam. was it perfect? no. but it was a satisfying ending and also it had to happen for regonguista in g to happen let alone make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

that is hardly the case. F91 as well as 0083 were bad endings than victory gundam. was it perfect? no. but it was a satisfying ending and also it had to happen for regonguista in g to happen let alone make sense.

Victory has one of the most crapstatic endings of any Gundam. There is no question about it. While Usso is a great character on par with Judau the ending just doesn't do him any justice at all. Let alone Shakti. And furthermore neither Victory nor F91 need to happen for the events in Gundam Reconguista (which takes place 1000 freaking years after the UC) to make any sense at all.

And to answer to Shadowrun : collecting for the sake of collecting is ok, you just have to realise you'll collect the bad along the mediocre and the good. I like the UC timeline, but most tv series in this timeline are mediocre to bad. So no I wouldn't collect all of them. My favorite tv series of this era is ZZ. The characters are enjoyable as is the storyline (if you can get through the first 10 episodes that is Laughing ). I also like Turn A but it's so far in the future as to be independent of the UC for all pratical purposes.
Bamble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
of sucks how the rest of the Sunrise mecha of the 80s will never be taken up on an offer.

Indeed, especially the two series that were officially subtitled in their entirety for announced releases that were quietly dropped in the wake of 0079's failure on TV.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

There might be interest, but unless fans put their money where their mouths are, that's all it is.

This is probably the most important quote of the thread, imho.

I too am very happy this Turn A Gundam is coming out and I'll be in line to buy it with everyone else, but unless there are enough sales to cover Turn A's costs it'll be a difficult business case for Shawne & Co. to release any other titles of the Gundam series. If there aren't enough people buying all these lesser-known Gundam series then all the talk is just lip service.

It might be interesting or useful for TRSI to put up a poll of all the Gundam series and have people vote and see where the interest lies.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
of sucks how the rest of the Sunrise mecha of the 80s will never be taken up on an offer.

Indeed, especially the two series that were officially subtitled in their entirety for announced releases that were quietly dropped in the wake of 0079's failure on TV.

And there's your problem. Stop trying to cram a 40 year old anime into the throats of american audiences. It makes no sense at all. Gundam in the US doesn't and never will have the history it has in Japan for obvious reasons. To attract new viewers you need modern anime, in how its drawn, in how it's animated, in how the story is told etc...
Sunrise/Bandai this time around should concentrate on what people want. Hint : except for 5 fans that are continuously babbling about 0079 as if it's the high point in the Gundam franchise Laughing Laughing the vast majority wants Gundam Wing, Seed and newer series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
By that reasoning, Wing and G would also be ancient and unappealing to modern tastes, yet you know those are THE shows everyone was gunning for due to pure nostalgic momentum. Even with Victory, X, and Turn A all coming from the same decade as those two, it sounds like people would want to lump those in with 0079 when at least X should have been on Toonami back in the day. It will be interesting to see what they do with those other heretofore unlicensed shows, they don't really have the legacy or the nostalgic factor going for them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Tylor wrote:
And there's your problem. Stop trying to cram a 40 year old anime into the throats of american audiences. It makes no sense at all. Gundam in the US doesn't and never will have the history it has in Japan for obvious reasons. To attract new viewers you need modern anime, in how its drawn, in how it's animated, in how the story is told etc...
My thoughts exactly. Hasn't Gundam 0079 already had enough chances to bomb in North America? Just re-issue the compilation movie collections so that UC fans can get the main gist of the story, and move on to Wing, SEED/Destiny, and 00 -- 00 never even got a Blu-Ray release under Bandai. "Why can't our DVD-only release compete with rips of the Japanese Blu-Rays with the English audio added in?"

Sacto0562 wrote:

As for the Pretty Cure franchise, I think Toei Animation is probably only shopping the first two series, Futari wa Pretty Cure and Futari wa Pretty Cure MAX HEART, for a US subtitled license. Given that Marvelous Entertainment (at that time called Marvelous AQL) completely remastered the two series I mentioned for a new Japanese-market DVD release a few years ago, Toei Animation has the masters for a high-quality US release. I would not be surprised that the license announcement happens by early 2015. If RightStuf gets the license, it will likely each season will be released in half-season box sets, similar to the Marvelous Japanese market releases.
Which as I mentioned on a previous thread, seems like the same mistake Sunrise has been making with Gundam 0079 -- foisting the comparatively ancient original series on the North American market instead of pushing more popular modern incarnations like Heartcatch (though they probably wouldn't be able to do Blu-Ray with it) that people actually want. And if Toei's history with Sailor Moon is any indication, we'll get a release from the crappy older masters in 2015 and a re-release with the new masters ~11 years later.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
By that reasoning, Wing and G would also be ancient and unappealing to modern tastes, yet you know those are THE shows everyone was gunning for due to pure nostalgic momentum. Even with Victory, X, and Turn A all coming from the same decade as those two, it sounds like people would want to lump those in with 0079 when at least X should have been on Toonami back in the day. It will be interesting to see what they do with those other heretofore unlicensed shows, they don't really have the legacy or the nostalgic factor going for them.

Well it's not just nostalgia. When Gundam Wing aired in the States it was a huge success. Because it was a modern Gundam and not some 70s era anime. That fanbase has resisted to this day. It would be stupid to not release Gundam Wing. Same thing for G Gundam, Seed and Seed Destiny.
As for newer series, Gundam 00, Gundam Build Fighters/Try they are the ones that catch new viewers not old Gundam from 1979.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Well it's not just nostalgia. When Gundam Wing aired in the States it was a huge success. Because it was a modern Gundam and not some 70s era anime. That fanbase has resisted to this day. It would be stupid to not release Gundam Wing. Same thing for G Gundam, Seed and Seed Destiny.
As for newer series, Gundam 00, Gundam Build Fighters/Try they are the ones that catch new viewers not old Gundam from 1979.

G Gundam, Seed, Seed Destiny, 00... they have all had their chance over here and never took off. As for Wing, the only reason that became popular is probably because they played the hell out of it on Cartoon Network. It also had an ideal time slot. Basically it was force fed to kids getting home from school.

I definitely agree that trying to get a new audience by giving them 35 to 15 year old shows is not a very good business model. I think they were to protective of the older Gundam shows back in the day and it backfired on them.

I don't really think Sunrise has any delusions of how well the shows they have announced are going to sell.
Felis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:

G Gundam, Seed, Seed Destiny, 00... they have all had their chance over here and never took off.

I definitely agree that trying to get a new audience by giving them 35 to 15 year old shows is not a very good business model.

I don't really think Sunrise has any delusions of how well the shows they have announced are going to sell.

G Gundam, Seed, Destiny, and 00 may not have been smash hits like Gundam Wing but that doesn't mean they aren't worth bringing back into the US market (same goes for all of the other Gundam series). Bandai already produced English dubs and subs for a lot of the Gundam franchise. All Sunrise has to do is get the materials they already have and put them out on DVD again.

I agree that they probably won't find a huge audience with the older shows, but when most of the work has already been done on them, there is no harm in keeping them in print. As long as they keep their expectations in check and release them for a reasonable price, they can still make a decent profit.

Sunrise dubbed Gundam Unicorn and will dub Gundam Origin. As new fans find these shows, they may have a desire to check out the older series (then again they might not). Either way, my point is that it is in Sunrise's best interest to keep as much of the franchise in print as long there is a profit to be made, no matter how large or small.
twilightmidna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
[quote="Kurama4Ever!"]Guessing that "mystery licensor" would be Funimation or Sentai, since they are the ones that Sunrise is giving most of the Bandia rescues to. TBH I'm actually very surprised that Sunrise decided to go the Rightstuf route for releasing the older series rather than giving them to Funimation or Sentai. Funi or Sentai would be likely to give it a much wider and easily avaiable release, maybe even a stream in Funi's case, while an RS release would only be available to order online. I mean I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen any of RS's dvd releases at any of my local stores, leading me to believe that they are probably exclusive to their website, with maybe a few copies available on Amazon as well.
There is a locally owned store where i live that sells right stuff dvd
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Woah. I've been waiting for a while for decent, consistent and affordable releases of any Gundam series, Turn A and the original UC from the beginning are ones I definitely wanted.

No more getting stuck by BEEZ or Bandai. No more picking through tons of individual sets.

Happy day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y3QqnIkFjc

If they keep their sets affordable and well featured, I'll have every Gundam DVD set they release.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Well it's nice to see the Gundam franchise (hopefully, all of them) are going to be release in the US once again. I'm happy to see Turn A, and ZZ Gundam making their debut. I'm just glad Mobile Suit Gundam and probably other Gundam series making their US appearance again. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
*convulses happily* WHOO!

I had an inkling---just a feeling---that somehow, RightStuf would snag the franchise eventually. Good on them, they haven't disappointed me yet. Though I'm sure someone else has some bone to pick with them. Nevertheless, I knew Gundam would be back someday!

Regarding the hollering about them bringing 79 first, I don't see what the problem is. When I jumped in to Gundam a while back, which one do you think I chose? Wing? Nope. Seed? Wrong. All the other truckloads of Gundam anime that have been produced? Screw 'em. I watched the ORIGINAL first. Because...y'know...it's the ORIGINAL. And I found it to be one of the greatest anime I've ever seen. So there. I really have no idea why Gundam fans tell people to start at some random, not-great spinoff or alternate timeline thing or sidestory. It makes no sense. Mobile Suit Gundam is a perfectly fine anime; anybody looking to get into the series can start there. If they HATE old anime, well, maybe Gundam isn't for them. There's a lot of old anime to consume in this franchise. Maybe read The Origin, which I hear a lot of people have been doing in the first place.

I'm so damn excited that it's coming out again, I have total faith in RightStuf. I certainly hope they're going to have Zeta and Char's Counterattack in the pipeline not long after Mobile Suit and ZZ. And the compilation movies wouldn't hurt either.

P.S.: ORIGIN OVA! WHOO!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7