• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Partners with Right Stuf to Release Gundam Franchise Stateside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Cptn + Zalis: Um, Gundam 0079 made money. It's just that the a-holes at Namdai Japan shut down their U.S. home video division. Just because the show bombed in the ratings does not mean it was a money loss for the company. [In fact, 0079's been one of the more popular streams, which just means that it needed to find the a way to reach the right crowd, like a lot of older anime.] If there was no audience for the older Gundams here, then Vertical would not be publishing the manga here. Besides, they're not forcing anyone who hates old shows to watch. Just buy your UCs, Bebops, and Space Dandies and move on, if that's what you want.

Zalis: If you can't sell the original Pretty Cure here, then there's no audience for that franchise period. Same deal with Sailor Moon.

Cptn: Gundam Wing was probably so successful here that Sunrise has a higher asking price for it than usual.

pajmo: The other Gundams weren't huge, like Wing, but they did make money. Believe me, Right Stuf would not be betting on this, if they didn't have good sales tracking data. UC makes money for 'em.

Quote:
As for Wing, the only reason that became popular is probably because they played the hell out of it on Cartoon Network.

It was 'cus of the fangirls.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
By that reasoning, Wing and G would also be ancient and unappealing to modern tastes, yet you know those are THE shows everyone was gunning for due to pure nostalgic momentum. Even with Victory, X, and Turn A all coming from the same decade as those two, it sounds like people would want to lump those in with 0079 when at least X should have been on Toonami back in the day. It will be interesting to see what they do with those other heretofore unlicensed shows, they don't really have the legacy or the nostalgic factor going for them.

Well it's not just nostalgia. When Gundam Wing aired in the States it was a huge success. Because it was a modern Gundam and not some 70s era anime. That fanbase has resisted to this day. It would be stupid to not release Gundam Wing. Same thing for G Gundam, Seed and Seed Destiny.
As for newer series, Gundam 00, Gundam Build Fighters/Try they are the ones that catch new viewers not old Gundam from 1979.

i wouldnt be so sure about G Gundam. that was definitely a bad series overall. definitely wont be worth to relicense it in the US. though seed and seed destiny is another story since like Wing is highly popular in the US and Canada otaku community. the same with 00.

Also as much as i want build fighters to be released in the US, i'm afraid it wont be cause its like SD Gundam and Gundam AGE. Only aimed for kids and not the broad otaku community like 00 and the only way it would be licensed if its with a us company that is for kids like Viz Kids or god forbid Nelvana.

Hopefully that wont happen and rightstuff / Nozumi Animation will license it. Which unfortunately will not bode well for the US base either since like Media Blasters and Sentai, would probably release their series sub only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Screw 'em. I watched the ORIGINAL first. Because...y'know...it's the ORIGINAL. And I found it to be one of the greatest anime I've ever seen.
That's the approach that the hardcore types will take, and similar to the one I took -- I think I chanced across 08th MS Team at an anime club, and went back to the 0079 movies. But that's not how most fans will approach it. It'll be, "What's with this ancient animation that doesn't fill my screen and isn't even out on Blu-Ray, even though it is on Blu-Ray in Japan?"
Quote:
If they HATE old anime, well, maybe Gundam isn't for them. There's a lot of old anime to consume in this franchise.
But there's also a fair bit of new anime to consume in this franchise, and so far it's not making it over (or back over) here.

GATSU wrote:
[In fact, 0079's been one of the more popular streams, which just means that it needed to find the a way to reach the right crowd, like a lot of older anime.]
Where exactly are these streams? They're not showing any at CR or YouTube, the two sites listed under Streaming Licenses on the Encyclopedia pages.

Quote:
Besides, they're not forcing anyone who hates old shows to watch. Just buy your UCs, Bebops, and Space Dandies and move on, if that's what you want.
Maybe they're not directly forcing people to watch, but they are indirectly forcing people by choice limitation. If people want "Gundam" but prefer newer shows, their choices are "buy old stuff" or "watch the new stuff by alternate means."

Quote:
Zalis: If you can't sell the original Pretty Cure here, then there's no audience for that franchise period. Same deal with Sailor Moon.
Surely we can agree that there's some difference between the franchises: Sailor Moon had widespread TV exposure during the childhood/teenage years of today's 20-30something fans, whereas Pretty Cure does not have that kind of nostalgia value. And speaking as a fan and sometimes fansubber of the Pretty Cure franchise... the first series was good, though it looked "old" even by 2004 standards. Max Heart was very much a slog, with a leadweight new character who provided the boring and overused "final attack" against Monster of the Week, and no real buildup in intensity towards its finale. Imo even the followup Splash Star, frequently derided as a rehash of the first continuity, managed to improve in those departments.

I still maintain that Heartcatch would be a better starting point. It's widescreen, it's got contributing talent from other franchises like Doremi and Casshern Sins, its character development and fights are widely respected, and it managed to garner attention from viewers who never paid much attention to Pretty Cure in the first place, in addition to the core fandom. Before Heartcatch, no Pretty Cure series was ever fansubbed week-to-week as it aired. As of Heartcatch and afterwards, all of them have been.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
While I've watched all the Precure I have in order(including waiting on PCSS to get through Yes! Pretty Cure 5), I can definitely say there's no particular reason to do so. doomydoomdoom has a very, very minute point with Gundam since it's got an actual continuity across shows, but nobody in their right mind would claim that the failure of people to be interested in the first season of Power Rangers would make it pointless to even try the post-Zordon ones. Heartcatch is definitely the one to start with if you're concerned about home video sales, though one of the more recent ones might be better for grabbing little girls.

As for Max Heart, I really think the worst part about it is that you can see them going from having no idea how to properly working Hikari in or what to do with the Heartiels to flat-out giving up and not even trying anymore(nicely illustrated by Hikari actually doing something in the first movie while the second is pure NagiHono as the plot). Either way, it still better not figure in anyone's decision to release the others.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
i wouldnt be so sure about G Gundam. that was definitely a bad series overall. definitely wont be worth to relicense it in the US. though seed and seed destiny is another story since like Wing is highly popular in the US and Canada otaku community. the same with 00.

I would be sure on G Gundam, nostalgia goes a long way and runs very deep. I fully expect Rightstuf/Nozomi to throw their full weight behind that and Wind once they get to them, with all of the other Gundams acting as contractual obligations, hence Kleckner mentioning release order.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I would be sure on G Gundam, nostalgia goes a long way and runs very deep. I fully expect Rightstuf/Nozomi to throw their full weight behind that and Wind once they get to them, with all of the other Gundams acting as contractual obligations, hence Kleckner mentioning release order.

yea, but its as i said. G Gundam and SD Gundam are overall very very bad and definitely not popular in the US let alone worth relicensing them. Gundam Wing , Seed & Seed Destiny on the other hand is another story. both are highly popular in the US otaku community and would make better sense moneywise for Right Stuff / Nozumi Animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Zalis:
Quote:
Where exactly are these streams? They're not showing any at CR or YouTube, the two sites listed under Streaming Licenses on the Encyclopedia pages.

They used to be on CR and GundamInfo, but Namdai's still run by a-holes who don't care if their stuff is torrented. That's why Sunrise is working around them: Because they're losing potential revenue from their brands because of bad management.

Quote:
If people want "Gundam" but prefer newer shows, their choices are "buy old stuff" or "watch the new stuff by alternate means."

Um, Turn A is one of the newer ones. And they're selling UC as we speak. Anything else more recent than that is probably going to cost more, because it's new. Though I do think they could do more with Build Fighters if they bet on an AS/Toonami broadcast.

Quote:
Sailor Moon had widespread TV exposure during the childhood/teenage years of today's 20-30something fans, whereas Pretty Cure does not have that kind of nostalgia value.

Yeah, but people in both camps have seen both shows fansubbed, and generally don't wanna pay for it, which is a factor in why Sailor Moon's taken so long to get licensed. But hey, if you really think Heartcatch is the shit, then bitch to Toei or Daisuki to at least stream it, and hope the people at the former company aren't still idiots. And maybe convince them to throw their hat in the ring with AnimeSols to crowdfund a DVD set of it. That's Toei's only bet to offload that show here. I thought they were already involved with Sols, 'cus of Kindaichi, but that's Yomiuri's doing, not Toei's, so...
Strike105

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
G Gundam and SD Gundam are overall very very bad and definitely not popular in the US let alone worth relicensing them. Gundam Wing , Seed & Seed Destiny on the other hand is another story. both are highly popular in the US otaku community and would make better sense moneywise for Right Stuff / Nozumi Animation.

On the contrary, SD Gundam Force was quite unpopular, but G Gundam was supposedly the second most popular Gundam series on North American television after Wing. It only gets flak from some "purists" because it's a "super robot" show while almost all of the others are "real robot" shows, though the "real robot" definition is becoming fuzzier with each new show installment.

SEED and DESTINY's popularity are seemingly quite apparent with Japanese audiences, what with all the polls and all, but in North America, well... It's debatable. I know that when SEED aired on Toonami, its ratings weren't the greatest, and I've heard multiple rumors addressing the possible reasons for it, ranging from fans dropping the show out of annoyance with the unnecessary edits to the TV broadcast (the legendary disco air guns) to simply "Gundam fatigue" from the onslaught of shows and movies that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami/Midnight Run/Adult Swim blocks in those four short years between Wing and SEED's airings (In no particular order: Wing, Endless Waltz, 0079, 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, G, Char's Counterattack, SD Gundam Force, SEED). The SEED shows get A LOT of "hate" though. All you have to do is visit just about any blog or forum, and you are far more likely to find comments vehemently damning anything and everything carrying the SEED name, and/or claiming that they wish the creators and anyone who likes anything, and I do mean ANYTHING related to "that/those g@y/sh!tty/ret@rd/f@gg0t show(s)" a slow, painful death than any sort of praise. Most of those people are just simple trolls, and they don't give much reasoning for their apparent hatred, but said trolls are so uniquely numerous that it's hard to determine how many people actually like the shows, or which trolls are serious and which ones aren't. What started this troll onslaught, and why it's still running strong over 10 years later, I have no clue.

I haven't heard a thing about the DVD/VHS sales on any of the shows though. Anyone have the numbers?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Strike: If they were able to put out all of those shows on DVD, without them being canceled mid-way, then someone was buying 'em, hopefully.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party here, but this is a reason to celebrate. Very happy about this. Congrats & thanks to Mr, Kleckner for getting this.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Um, Turn A is one of the newer ones. And they're selling UC as we speak. Anything else more recent than that is probably going to cost more, because it's new. Though I do think they could do more with Build Fighters if they bet on an AS/Toonami broadcast.
Maybe it's newer than the median Gundam anime, but most fans these days do not consider a 1999 vintage to be "new." Heck, plenty of fans these days refuse to watch anything from before 2010, even though there was no dramatic production/art shift like there was between 1999-2000.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The older titles are certainly a risk, to be sure, to market here. The original series especially, which does not hold up in the production department, an old series nobody here grew up watching. Bandai Entertainment barely advertised it, Cartoon Network never gave it a full run, and unfortunately many anime fans are brutally ageist, including probably myself at times.

Don't get me wrong, it's a masterpiece classic, in terms of characters and enjoyability. But that age barrier, that's a tough thing, no matter how excellent a classic show is. And Sunrise always expects the shows the Japanese deem classics to go over just as well here where we haven't been exposed to them.

I already have my copy of the original series on DVD, but I hope others give the show a shot. It's a little simplistic, but it's very compelling.

Personally, I'd love to have the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays, but I'm not holding my breath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I hear you on being ageist to some series, but Gundam just about treads that line between being too low budget and low interest like most 70s mecha. Maybe fans need to work their way back through the 80s first with stuff like Dragonar, Orguss, VOTOMS, and Macross.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Zalis: Newb anime fans wouldn't care about more recent Gundams, anyway. They think Eva is all they need to see. Rolling Eyes

penguin:
Quote:
I already have my copy of the original series on DVD,

Then you might wanna cross your fingers and hope Right Stuf's able to negotiate with Sunrise on getting us the 'banned' episode from that set this time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I've seen that episode. It's... well, I understand why Tomino had it stricken. It looks like chicken scratch. But the story isn't awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7