• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Your lie in April

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
so even though I'm abusing him, and I KNOW I'm abusing him, it's for his own good".

Saki never even implied this. She was disgusted with herself and at a loss.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
so even though I'm abusing him, and I KNOW I'm abusing him, it's for his own good".

Wrong. She said it was worried about him having a stable future and that was why she was so strict on him playing just the way she wanted. The fact that she was disgusted about herself and KEPT DOING IT makes is worse, not better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
鏡 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Wrong. She said it was worried about him having a stable future and that was why she was so strict on him playing just the way she wanted. The fact that she was disgusted about herself and KEPT DOING IT makes is worse, not better.

The reason she continued abusing Kousei was not just because she wanted Kousei to have a good future, but because she was grappling with her own impending death and was frantically trying to compensate for her lost time with Kousei. She also recognized that none of that justified her hitting Kousei so I'm not sure what you're getting mad about; everyone in the show recognized that Saki's behaviour was wrong, especially Kousei himself.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
^
Isn't that even WORSE then what I said?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
^
Isn't that even WORSE then what I said?
I don't know what you mean by worse in this context. Hitting a kid to get them to play properly is equally bad largely regardless of your motivations.

DmonHiro wrote:
鏡 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Also I'm not sure why you started this post with "Wrong" because even allowing that everything you followed it with is true, it still wouldn't contradict my original objection.

Let me put it this way: just because something is wrong doesn't prevent it from happening, especially when objectively devastating things like terminal disease are involved.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I think we're both saying the same thing, but my clumsy wording may have made you think I was disagreeing with you. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
My point was just that Saki never believed her abuse of Kousei was for his own good. She understood that she was doing it out of her own fear of death and subsequent fear for Kousei, but that hitting the kid was still a terrible, counter-productive thing to do.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I though that she was afraid for his future. I can't check the episode right now, but it was when she fell out of her wheelchair and started crying. Didn't she say that she was worried about what was going to happen to Kousei after she was gone? I interpreted that as being her motivation, or at least part of it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
You guys really need to read the episode review because Rose gets it just right on this one:
Quote:
If anything, Your Lie in April "gets" child abuse on a deeper level than any anime this side of Penguindrum. Media typically portrays abusive parents as completely heartless and unsympathetic, with their victims needing to cut them off and forget all feelings toward them entirely, because that's the right answer. In real life, though, it's rarely that black and white,

In fact Kosei managed to redeem himself had has forgiven his mother. Not for abusing him but for leaving him.

Nobody is trying the "redeem" Saki or write a justification for child abuse. She was a sick woman, desperate, and frightened. She was self-aware to a high degree but you can't expect her to get even that right.

From Kosei's point of view it has been a couple of years since he had seen his mother. It would be natural for his outrage and hurt at the abuse to recede over that time, leaving more memories of the good times. Not all victims of child abuse develop that way but some do and it seems that Kosei did. For us as the anime audience, the abuse and the good times seem to be piled right on top of each other -- that's a pitfall of the flashback format the writers took.

I think one thing that really seems off about this anime is just how Kosei has lived since Saki died. From the story so far it seems that some lawyer just gave grade-school Kosei the keys to the house and Saki's bank account information and left. Other than the occasional visits from the arguably culpable-in-negligence Hiroko, is there any adult how has taken responsibility for raising him?

It's anime.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Nobody is trying the "redeem" Saki or write a justification for child abuse. She was a sick woman, desperate, and frightened. She was self-aware to a high degree but you can't expect her to get even that right.

From Kosei's point of view it has been a couple of years since he had seen his mother. It would be natural for his outrage and hurt at the abuse to recede over that time, leaving more memories of the good times. Not all victims of child abuse develop that way but some do and it seems that Kosei did. For us as the anime audience, the abuse and the good times seem to be piled right on top of each other -- that's a pitfall of the flashback format the writers took.

I think one thing that really seems off about this anime is just how Kosei has lived since Saki died. From the story so far it seems that some lawyer just gave grade-school Kosei the keys to the house and Saki's bank account information and left. Other than the occasional visits from the arguably culpable-in-negligence Hiroko, is there any adult how has taken responsibility for raising him?

1 Hiroko is trying to excuse Saki's actions. She never intervened between the two of them even though she knew how bad it was getting; She seemed so close at first, disappeared for a bit, was named Kosei's guardian but decided to stay away from him because of her own guilt. She's... I never used the word "abuse" myself {well, just look at Gohan's training in DBZ as to why I wouldn't use it} because I understood Saki's actions, I just never agreed with them. Hiroko, yeah, I don't understand her because she's the not the one dying. That's neglect, from Saki's treatment of Kosei as a teacher rather than a mother to Hiroko's hands off approach to being a guardian, not abuse.

2 Kosei's training. We saw how he started playing the piano {...by playing it} so it's nice to see how many music teachers know exactly the experiences he need to cultivate his gift.... which totally doesn't become their gift by proxy; No, don't even consider the possibility. Ability, talent, gift, genius. "Congratulations, you've just taught the kid to do what he could already do...only with a lot less interest and passion."

And they're still doing it. "We know what's best... for the boy." Spelled out, it sounds really creepy.

And I wish the story stopped at Tsubaki realizing her feelings but it's gone beyond that to the point where she's questioning whether she's in love with him if she can talk to him normally. She already knew she was in love with him from that time she turned the other guy down but now she's gotten to the point of "I'm not as in love with hi m as I thought". It's just another reason for someone who was close to him to back off, you know, when he needs emotional support.

From my perspective, having Kosei ask her what she thought of the performance would show that Kosei does have feelings for her, even if they're not romantic {yet} and shutting him out is the wrong thing to do at this point in his life {I can't imagine what sort of plot contrivance could... Yeah, we all know by now what it is}.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Another excellent review by Rose! I find her reviews to be insightful and well thought out. Perhaps that is because her views tend to match my own most of the time. However, the insight she brings to the show as someone who "walked the walk" of a conservatory trained musician is really appreciated.

I agree that this episode is one of the very best the show has had. It had me in tears several times. Even the 2nd time I watched it I wasn't able to make it through without pausing to wipe my eyes a bit so I could read the subtitles unimpeded.

The show continues to impress. I look forward to more!
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
This show is making me uncomfortable with the way it portrays abusers and their victims, but that's because it's doing it realistically. Kosei can't help both hating and loving his parent and wanting to forgive her despite what she put him through. Is what's going on with him healthy? I'd say no, but it's not surprising. I'm hoping though that he continues to grow as the story continues. Great review!
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
grooven wrote:
I finished episode 12 and did not see Kaori turn up, so why is that in the review?

Because the new episode this week was episode 13.
No, I meant at the end of review 12 it was written like she appeared at the end of the episode. Which we know never happens.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14 grade: A

I am in love with this anime.

This was another excellent episode that focused on Tsubaki's struggles. At this point in the story Tsubaki has become my favorite character. Sure, Kosei and Kaori are the engines of the story, but I tend to truly enjoy the anime more when it focuses on more typical teen drama (Kosei's psycho-drama is powerful, but, at times, it is too emotionally draining to enjoy). And to me Tsubaki is the very personification of typical teen drama.

I disagree with Rose that Kosei and Kaori will end up together in the end and Tsubaki will be the loser. Remember that Kaori is probably going to die before the end of the series. And it would not be inconceivable for Kosei and Tsubaki to eventually become a couple.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Remember that Kaori is probably going to die before the end of the series.

Actually I am beginning to believe that less and less. Everyone keeps talking about "death flags" and such but I think there are "life flags" popping up here and there.
review wrote:
Or Watari, but he seems to think Kaori is his in spite of their conflicting interests.

The review didn't mention the interesting conversation between Watari and Tsubaki's friend (I forget her name if it was ever mentioned) at the backstop. The girl is a generic use-as-needed wiser-and-more-grounded friend type which we have seen before but rarely done better than here. Watari is mostly a flirt that loves girls attention but he revealed a more serious side there. He pegged Tsubaki and what is making her tick pretty well. I would bet that he really doesn't have designs on Kaori although he likes her and he likes to make her laugh. Kosei should know that isn't really a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship but but for some reason doesn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12