• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hideaki Anno Voices His Concerns About the Anime Industry

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugoki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Works based on old, classic tales. Fair enough. Only partial credit for them being adaptations, thus not that representative of creativity. Now, truth be told, WMT never sols well, but they kept making them. Why? Honestly, I don't know. I'm too cynical to think they made them "for the people".

Mainstream, prime-time anime = Live off sponsors and ratings.

DmonHiro wrote:

Now, I'm going to impart to you all the reason why WTM is probably not being made anymore. It's the same reason "moe" (not an actual genre) is being made in large quantities. It's simple: more fans buy anime. WTM fans do not.

Not about buying. The ratings fell off after shenanigans involving its time slot being used to air baseball and sumo matches.

And buying a 50-episode anime can get pretty expensive, so most people probably will just watch for the rebroadcast, which they still do to this day.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ugoki wrote:
How about "bishoujo zoo" for anime who's the main selling point is their display of cute girls?

Works in reverse as bishounen zoo as well.

Free! would a bishounen aquarium then. Razz
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
I disagree. Why didn't you include One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, or even Pokemon? Those shows get consistently good ratings as well.

If I had listed those, I knew I would have been accused of relying on shows which premired over a decade ago, which no doubt would prove how dead modern anime is today, so I stuck to anime which debuted this year alone. Seems I would have been criticized regardless of what I had listed.

Quote:
I think it's debatable that One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach is aimed at children and families. They're Shonen Jump titles, so there primary audience are teenagers and up. I said earlier that mainstream anime is anime appealing to a non-anime fan. Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan are shows that have served as gateway anime for many new anime fans. These are examples of mainstream shows because many people who didn't know anything about anime enjoyed these shows.

It's not really debatable, not when I saw things like One Piece kids meal toys at McDonalds and tons of other kiddy toy commercials on my trips to Japan, or the fact Shonen Jump is a children's magazine as shonen literally means young boy. People who insist those shows are for teenagers, or even adults, are probably western fans who want to push the "anime is cool" mindset to their peers by refusing to admit they watch a show for children. Or they're looking at it from an American standards mindset and judging them based on the content in the shows. One Piece and DBZ are okay to show kids in Japan, but here it has to be aimed exclusively at adults on Adult Swim if they want to air uncut.

Your definition of mainstream seems to be one concerning western perspective. "Anime appealing to non-anime fans"? That's solely a concern for westerners, generally ones who want to get their friends or family into their hobby. No one in Japan has to convince their friends or family to check out anime no more than Americans have to convince their friends and family to check out watching TV in general. Everyone in Japan knows who Doraemon, Conan, Luffy, and all them are.

Quote:
This is in addition to shows like Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc. You say mainstream anime is anime aimed at children and families. Why is your conception of mainstream anime so restrictive? Why can't a mainstream show be any show that's also popular among teenage or adult non-regular anime watchers. So if Fullmetal Alchemist or Attack on Titan pulled in more ratings than Detective Conan or Yu-Gi-OH, the former shows still wouldn't be mainstream because they're weren't aimed at children and families?

Because that's not what mainstream is in the context of anime. Mainstream anime is the kind that does not rely on disk sales, but TV ratings and sponsors. The whole point of otaku anime is to rely on the obsessive fans who will pay 700 dollars for a box set and merchandise to reimburse the production cost rather than making a deal with food companies or household products to air commercials during the show. It's why otaku anime is able to do things mainstream anime can't, they don't have to worry about backlash from advertisers or sponsorship being pulled, they only have to please the consumer.

-Stuart Smith
Ugoki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Because that's not what mainstream is in the context of anime. Mainstream anime is the kind that does not rely on disk sales, but TV ratings and sponsors. The whole point of otaku anime is to rely on the obsessive fans who will pay 700 dollars for a box set and merchandise to reimburse the production cost rather than making a deal with food companies or household products to air commercials during the show. It's why otaku anime is able to do things mainstream anime can't, they don't have to worry about backlash from advertisers or sponsorship being pulled, they only have to please the consumer.

Mainstream anime also includes anime made to sell toys for kids. Those don't rely as much on ratings as pure primetime mainstream anime are.

For example, the original Gundam had abysmal ratings but it survived because of the toy sales.

Another example would be Precure, where their ratings have steadily dropped since the first season (the lowest is with the newest season with an average of 4%) but Toei still keeps them around because their merchandise still sells.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I feel like even if the creators want to make something with wide mainstream appeal as their intent, it doesn't mean it'll take off. Look at Xam'd and Fractale. Sure Xam'd may have been hampered by its ONA release, but I don't remember the series setting the world on fire by the end of its run.

Even more recent and demonstrative of the point would be Chihayafuru S2, where it was sold in boxsets with lower prices than usual and it still didn't sell that well. Chihaya's mainstream, right?
Ugoki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Fractale

Fractale was crap.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
That is an excellent idea.
And could you please drop "moe" also?

Hmmm....maybe'Smile'

In all seriousness, I only use those words as short hand. If anybody has issues with those words, I'll either make sure I explain my definition or I'll use something else. As I'm sure you've noticed, all these words are very loaded terms.

Stuart Smith wrote:
If I had listed those, I knew I would have been accused of relying on shows which premired over a decade ago, which no doubt would prove how dead modern anime is today, so I stuck to anime which debuted this year alone.

I have no problem with you listing One Piece, Naruto, or any show older than that. If a show is still popular, then it's still popular, I won't dispute viewer ratings. As you said, the creative stuff is going to come from the late-night shows. A "mainstream" anime doesn't need to be super-innovative or a masterpiece.

Stuart Smith wrote:
It's not really debatable, not when I saw things like One Piece kids meal toys at McDonalds and tons of other kiddy toy commercials on my trips to Japan,

Fair enough. Of course I'm going to argue that most of merchandising sales is still coming from teens and older, since they can spend more.

Stuart Smith wrote:
the fact Shonen Jump is a children's magazine as shonen literally means young boy.

Here's a quote from Manga: The Complete Guide by ANN's own Jason Thompson:

"Shonen (Boy's Manga)- Aimed at boys from early elementary school to their late teens (it varies depending on the magazine) shonen manga spill over with action, sports, and battle scenes." pg. xxiii

You said Shonen Jump is a children's magazine, I said it was a teenager's magazine. Turns out we're both wrong (or right).

Stuart Smith wrote:
People who insist those shows are for teenagers, or even adults, are probably western fans who want to push the "anime is cool" mindset to their peers by refusing to admit they watch a show for children.

I can't speak for other people, but I would never suggest someone watch anime "because it's cool". Anime isn't some fad where you watch for a year because all your friends are doing it. I suggest anime to people because I think "anime is good". If I recommend someone watch Bleach for the first time and they like it because they think it's good, as opposed to "it looks cool", then mission accomplished. If they think it's good and cool, that's a bonus.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Your definition of mainstream seems to be one concerning western perspective. "Anime appealing to non-anime fans"? That's solely a concern for westerners, generally ones who want to get their friends or family into their hobby. No one in Japan has to convince their friends or family to check out anime no more than Americans have to convince their friends and family to check out watching TV in general.

Somehow appealing to non-anime fans keeps coming back to westerners, but the problem is that not all non-anime fans are all just westerners. There are plenty of people in Japan who don't watch anime for same reasons as a westerner. I've met people from Japan before who don't watch anime because they think it's for kids. Not really that different from someone in the west who also doesn't watch anime either.

Stuart Smith wrote:
The whole point of otaku anime is to rely on the obsessive fans who will pay 700 dollars for a box set and merchandise to reimburse the production cost rather than making a deal with food companies or household products to air commercials during the show. It's why otaku anime is able to do things mainstream anime can't, they don't have to worry about backlash from advertisers or sponsorship being pulled, they only have to please the consumer.

Oh yeah, I completely agree with you. Otaku shows are going to be the shows that the die-hard anime fans want and spend money on. The point I've been trying to make this entire time is how do we get more otaku? The current otaku fans now aren't going to live forever and may eventually stop buying stuff or leave anime fandom. So we want more ways to get more otaku. This is why I asked my question earlier: "What's wrong with wanting more people watching anime?". One way could be putting out a "mainstream", and I really mean gateway, show, to attract more potential future otaku. Plenty of older anime fans started out with Gundam or Dragon Ball and eventually became die hard fans. Many newer fans are starting out with Bleach or One Piece are now becoming die-hard fans.

I'm not saying every show from now on needs to appeal to non-anime fans. Nor am I saying we need to "clean-up" all those late-night otaku shows to make them presentable to the masses. And I'm not saying they all have to be "western-focused", whatever that means. When Hiromu Arakawa came up with the idea for Fullmetal Alchemist, I doubt she chose a European-setting because she specifically had westerners in mind.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
Ugoki wrote:
Mainstream anime also includes anime made to sell toys for kids. Those don't rely as much on ratings as pure primetime mainstream anime are.

For example, the original Gundam had abysmal ratings but it survived because of the toy sales.

No problems here, I'm not excluding those shows, I just think those shows don't represent all mainstream anime. And Gundam is a great example because people of all ages watched it and they bought the toys too.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I feel like even if the creators want to make something with wide mainstream appeal as their intent, it doesn't mean it'll take off. Look at Xam'd and Fractale. Sure Xam'd may have been hampered by its ONA release, but I don't remember the series setting the world on fire by the end of its run.

No problems here, either. Even if a studio produces a "mainstream" show there's no guarantee it'll sell and in that case, you can't really blame anyone. It's one reason I said "one way" is to make a mainstream show. Maybe there's others, but I don't know at the moment. By the way, I kinda liked Xam'd. I know everybody brings up this comparision, but in some ways I actually liked it better than Eureka 7 (uh oh, I hope I didn't say that too loud)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:

The thing is, the arguments in this thread are arguing for a third party that does not exist. 'Mainstream' cartoons are--for the most part--just the family or kids cartoons airing during the morning, mid-day, or prime time slots.

For one, anime used to be able to support long-running shoujo drama. (That was a pillar for the NA anime boom a gen ago, appealing to even scores of young jr/sr high schoolers to find their place in fandom.) Unfortunately, it's a segment now mainly lost for anime on J-TV.

Stuart Smith wrote:

No one in Japan has to convince their friends or family to check out anime no more than Americans have to convince their friends and family to check out watching TV in general. Everyone in Japan knows who Doraemon, Conan, Luffy, and all them are.

They are familiar with such anime, but regular Japanese generally don't check out anime for otaku. They differentiate, akin to Americans typically watching The Simpsons or American Dad don't consider themselves animation fans.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

The thing is, the arguments in this thread are arguing for a third party that does not exist. 'Mainstream' cartoons are--for the most part--just the family or kids cartoons airing during the morning, mid-day, or prime time slots.

For one, anime used to be able to support long-running shoujo drama. (That was a pillar for the NA anime boom a gen ago, appealing to even scores of young jr/sr high schoolers to find their place in fandom.) Unfortunately, it's a segment now mainly lost for anime on J-TV.

Is that anime's fault, or the result of live action adaptations of traditional school romance manga being easier to make and market? I've noticed a large number of shojo manga based movies and dramas getting announced.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I can't for the live of me think of a long running shoujo drama that ever aired. I can think of 1 or 2 cour shoujo dramas, but long-running? In the vein of Dragonball or One Piece? I'm coming up blank. Was that ever a thing?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Onii-sama e... and Nana, Marmalade Boy, Marimite, Hana Yori Dango, Peach Girl, and others. But yeah, none of those are truly long running compared to something like a manga. Either way, most of those 90s and early 00s shoujo dramas wouldn't have been late night affairs, so their dropoff can be tied to general interest in normal viewers, not so much the otaku. Maybe that's what all of these old guys are concerned over, what anime is available for families at primetime since the otaku stuff has probably never done better in terms of sales. They might as well be entirely separate markets.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Stuart Smith wrote:
the fact Shonen Jump is a children's magazine as shonen literally means young boy.

Here's a quote from Manga: The Complete Guide by ANN's own Jason Thompson:

"Shonen (Boy's Manga)- Aimed at boys from early elementary school to their late teens (it varies depending on the magazine) shonen manga spill over with action, sports, and battle scenes." pg. xxiii

You said Shonen Jump is a children's magazine, I said it was a teenager's magazine. Turns out we're both wrong (or right).

Just a quick clarification if your taking about children's magazines I think the ones you are referring to are Kodomo magazines like CoroCoro, which have series like Pokemon, Joker, Hero Bank, Oreca Battle, Duelmasters, and probably Yokai Watch (i'm not sure what exactly is running right now, these are just examples of what types of series one would typically see.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
They are familiar with such anime, but regular Japanese generally don't check out anime for otaku. They differentiate, akin to Americans typically watching The Simpsons or American Dad don't consider themselves animation fans.

Pretty much. While it's true that the Japanese are more open to animation, I don't think the viewing habits of the average Japanese TV viewer is really that different from the typical American or Western viewer.

kevinx59 wrote:
Just a quick clarification if your taking about children's magazines I think the ones you are referring to are Kodomo magazines like CoroCoro, which have series like Pokemon, Joker, Hero Bank, Oreca Battle, Duelmasters, and probably Yokai Watch (i'm not sure what exactly is running right now, these are just examples of what types of series one would typically see.

You're right. I think we were both using "Shonen Jump" to refer to all shonen-type titles when Stuart Smith was probably thinking of something like CoroCoro or Comic BomBom while I was thinking of magazines like Shonen Ace or Dengeki Daioh.
Ugoki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I can't for the live of me think of a long running shoujo drama that ever aired. I can think of 1 or 2 cour shoujo dramas, but long-running? In the vein of Dragonball or One Piece? I'm coming up blank. Was that ever a thing?

Fushigi Yuugi?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Is that anime's fault, or the result of live action adaptations of traditional school romance manga being easier to make and market? I've noticed a large number of shojo manga based movies and dramas getting announced.

As anything with the real world, likely a combination of factors. Whichever the causations, the current result still leaves a gaping hole that anime is missing.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Onii-sama e... and Nana, Marmalade Boy, Marimite, Hana Yori Dango, Peach Girl, and others. But yeah, none of those are truly long running compared to something like a manga. Either way, most of those 90s and early 00s shoujo dramas wouldn't have been late night affairs, so their dropoff can be tied to general interest in normal viewers, not so much the otaku. Maybe that's what all of these old guys are concerned over, what anime is available for families at primetime since the otaku stuff has probably never done better in terms of sales. They might as well be entirely separate markets.

Maybe.
Still, anime should be able to support more separate markets, pursuing like manga and live-action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11