• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Hires Executive to Adapt Its Games in Hollywood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Although, to be fair, they didn't say they wanted a "shared universe", they just wanted the ability to turn game titles into movies, like, yes, Hasbro did with Battleship when they thought "Maybe it'll work like it did for the Transformers". (And if Battleship didn't finish off that idea, Ouija certainly did.)

Ouija
Production Budget: $5 million
Worldwide Lifetime Gross: $72 million

Gasero wrote:
Does this mean the whole video game thing isn't working out for Sega? I figured they would try to do one thing well before trying to do multiple things.

It hasn't worked for years.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
We need a super edgy Ecco the Dolphin the movie, where Ecco wears black leather, has dead relatives, a forced romance and saves the president of the United States from a nuclear missile strike.
Basically, Ecco the Dolphin made into every generic Hollywood action movie ever.

Seriously speaking though, I think NiGHTS could make a pretty good animated movie in a similar vein to Tim Burton's stuff.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Seriously speaking though, I think NiGHTS could make a pretty good animated movie in a similar vein to Tim Burton's stuff.

(By which, I take it you don't mean "Big Eyes".) Razz
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
We need a super edgy Ecco the Dolphin the movie, where Ecco wears black leather, has dead relatives, a forced romance and saves the president of the United States from a nuclear missile strike.
Basically, Ecco the Dolphin made into every generic Hollywood action movie ever.

Valkyria Chronicles: Selvaria wears black leather, a lot of main characters have at least one dead relative, one could probably argue that the romance between Welkin and Alicia is a bit forced, and 7th Squad rescuing Gallia's head of state is a major plot event. Far from generic, though.

I'm actually surprised Sega didn't offer Valkyria Chronicles up as an option, because it's one of its few properties that actually would lend itself very well to live action.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Although, to be fair, they didn't say they wanted a "shared universe", they just wanted the ability to turn game titles into movies, like, yes, Hasbro did with Battleship when they thought "Maybe it'll work like it did for the Transformers". (And if Battleship didn't finish off that idea, Ouija certainly did.)

Ouija
Production Budget: $5 million
Worldwide Lifetime Gross: $72 million

For that matter:

Battleship
Production Budget: $209 million
World Lifetime Gross: $303,025,485

And these are only box office numbers, they don't reflect the home video releases which certainly bring the number higher. As long as these movies keep making someone money they aren't going anywhere.

As for Sega, I think they might have something with Altered Beast and Golden Ax with the Hobbit franchise now ending.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Adapt its games in Hollywood? Just as well throw them into a wood chip grinder. You'll get the same output anyway. I hope the bonus is a good one. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

A dolphin that is the hero! Flipper, eat your heart out!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
The same Hollywood that thought up the idea to recreate Battleship? No, thanks. If they were to turn those IPs into anime shows, then their success rate would've been higher (a la Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis)

Does anyone have any good memories of Sonic X & the Valkyria Chronicles anime?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Please no live action Sonic or Puyo Puyo movies, humanity does not need Hollywood treating those franchises with the utmost disrespect.
Well yeah, Sega already does a fine job doing that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
According to the Variety source article:

• Sega isn’t alone in wanting to take creative control of how its games are adapted for other platforms.

After seeing mostly failed results as its games have been adapted for the bigscreen, Electronic Arts developed “Need for Speed” through its own film division, while Ubisoft has its own inhouse arm adapting tentpole titles like “Assassin’s Creed,” “Splinter Cell” and “Watch Dogs” into movies.

So, it's actually Sega taking control of its own destiny, not leaving it to Hollywood.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
After seeing mostly failed results as its games have been adapted for the bigscreen, Electronic Arts developed “Need for Speed” through its own film division, while Ubisoft has its own inhouse arm adapting tentpole titles like “Assassin’s Creed,” “Splinter Cell” and “Watch Dogs” into movies. [/i] [/list]

So, it's actually Sega taking control of its own destiny, not leaving it to Hollywood.

Actually, they're following the rest of corporate Outer Hollywood and thinking, "If it worked for Hasbro, it can work for us!"
Although the jury's still out on whether it really did work for Hasbro, at least after Hasbro had to sell off their other projects, including Ouija, to other third-party producers, and sold their Candyland movie to Adam Sandler, just to pay for a sunk Battleship.

That said, the lack of a live-action Valkyria is nothing less than criminal. Evil or Very Mad
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
mdo: That's actually a remake, but there's also this sucker. Cool

Emerje: There was no reason to make Battleshit, though. People haven't played that game in years. Anyway, I'm rooting for a good Shinobi movie.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
That is a strange list of SEGA franchises they want to adapt. Then again, it's pretty strange as it crosses over with none of the SEGA franchises I believe has a good chance at actually working.

Beatdigga wrote:
Weirdos in cabs? That was already done. It was only the seminal sitcom of the late 70's/early 80's.

Not to mention Taxi Driver, though its humor went darker than sitcoms of that time.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Jet Set Radio would make for an ok movie, too bad it may not make money since graffiti is more of a 90's to very early 2000's thing.

I had long thought about what SEGA properties I feel could work as a movie, and Jet Set Radio is at the top of the list. It's set in one location with a clearly defined conflict and a story simple enough to be told within two hours.

The problem with video games being adapted into movies is that video games are more about the journey than the goal, which would look repetitive when you're not controlling the main character's actions. Who'd want to see the protagonist beat up armies of bad guys for hours nonstop? Playing it is fine, but not watching it. Jet Set Radio is one of the franchises whose gameplay is constantly changing its focus--you're given new challenges because the villains keep throwing more stuff at you--so it can work. Jet Set Radio Future even more so, as the player character is a new recruit.

Graffiti is a thing that's still going on. Wherever you have a densely populated urban area with strong gang presence, you're going to have graffiti, as that's a means of gangs to mark their territory. Even in areas without a lot of people, there will still be at least a few hoodlums who feel compelled to write their pseudonym on everything. Recently though, there's been a rise in graffiti art, where the artists are paid to spray-paint a mural, with the artists having signature styles. (Here's an example from August 2014.)

I wonder if a live-action Skies of Arcadia could work too.

enurtsol wrote:

That'd be interesting. Night of the Werehog showed that SEGA is very good at CGI animation. They set a pretty high bar when they decided it wouldn't have any dialogue, as it'd all come down to the animation.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
mdo: That's actually a remake, but there's also this sucker. Cool

I'm already aware of the film being a remake, but I do not want Crazy Taxi to look a lot like the American remake of Taxi. Taxi and it's French original is already similar to Crazy Taxi, so no need to adapt Crazy Taxi into a film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

And since most of the Sega properties date back to the Genesis 90's, it's certainly going to be hard to do anything with Streets of Rage without getting serious "Double Dragon: the Movie" flashbacks. (Or even the cartoon series, if that's where they're headed.)
It's not like Miike Takahashi doing the Ace Attorney movie, after all...

Hey now....I liked that damn DD movie lol. I loved those Streets of Rage games. Still got them and my Genesis too. That being said this just screams desperation by Sega to stay relevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3