• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo '96 Poster.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
So in 2009, there was a guy who made posts in multiple forums requesting help with identifying all of the characters from the Anime Expo '96 Poster created by Lionel Lum. He went through the hassle of numbering every character on that picture to make identification easier.

Original AX '96 Poster

Numbered AX '96 Poster

Eventually, he lost interest in it, because he stopped updating his list. Despite that, I continued working on it, because for some reason I find such detail-oriented, fact-finding stuff fun. So for the past 5 years this has become a personal pet project of mine.

I have since identified 1,645 characters with 177 left to identify. A large part of this was possible because there is an archive that lists all of the anime/manga/games that are present on the poster. And for the most part the anime were in order from bottom to top, left to right (at least for the characters in the 25 rows, all of the random characters flying around on the left, top, and right were not named in order).

Anime Expo 96 Poster Show Archive

A majority of the time was spent either finding images of characters from the anime/manga/game on the internet or watching/reading the source material. At this time, I feel I have finally reached a point where I need some help.

Some characters have guesses that I'm not entirely certain about that I'm hoping a fan of the series could identify. Some characters I'm guessing are nameless filler characters from the show that probably appear in the background at some point (i.e. some of the Gundam series). Some shows have very little information online that the names of the characters couldn't be identified. And then there are some series I couldn't even find reference to on the internet, which I imagine is due to them being a game, obscure manga, or having too generic of a name. All of the anime/manga/games I couldn't identify or the ones I did identify but couldn't name the characters are listed below:
  • Private's Life - Could not find a series by that name on the internet. I am guessing it's a game since the series to the right of it, Quo Vadis, is also a game.
  • Ninja Warrior - Could not find a series by that name with characters that look like the ones on the list.
  • Hoshi Neko Fullhouse - The ANN page image has characters that look like the ones drawn on the poster, but I can't find their names.
  • R-Type - Could not find a series by that name on the internet.
  • Lemon Angel [YJ Ban] - The three girls look like the ones on the ANN page, but no luck identifying them (though I suspect Medaka is the pigtailed girl).
  • Hen - I did find a series by that name, but the characters don't look at all like the ones I thought are from Hen in the poster.
  • B-Virgin - Could not find a series by that name on the internet.
  • Dark Whisper - Found little info of the series online, could not locate on the poster.
  • Sesame Street - The image on the ANN page looks like two characters on the poster, but could not find the names.
  • Ragou - Could not find a series by that name on the internet.
  • Wazukaichomae – Could not find a series by that name on the internet.

I have uploaded my Excel spreadsheet below. I kept the numbering convention that was created by ShiroAkuma/CMC for ease of identification.

willag's AX '96 spreadsheet

So that people don't have to constantly switch between the numbered and original posters, I'll be including pictures in separate posts below of all of the characters/ships/gundam/mecha that still need to be identified. It may take a few days to get them all up, but I'm already about a quarter of the way done.

I'd appreciate any additional help. Locating series I wasn't able to find, confirming characters I wasn't certain about, or correcting any mistakes I may have made.

Thanks!

Also, just a reminder, but this poster was created in 1996 so it only contains series created before that time! So it's pointless guessing anything created 1997+.

Last edited by Crisha on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

Left, Top, Right

(Guess: My Melody from Hello Kitty) - remember only characters created up to 1996!

(1 and 2 are from Outlanders. I'm guessing 1 is a random, nameless Nuba, and 2 is the name of the creature/ship they're riding around on, if it even has a name).

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

Red Lines

(She's from Macross, but I don't remember the details)

(ANN page for Sesame Street) - Okay, wait, just did some searching myself and I'm getting the names Karin Yamazaki, Keiki Fujiya, and Chitose Fujiya.

(Characters left to right: Kei Katsuragi, Mimsy Raas, Mome, ?????, Maaie, Lieea, Athena Henderson, Shaya Thoov)

(Unable to find a series called B-Virgin online)

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:26 am; edited 6 times in total
Crisha

Yellow Lines

(Couldn't find a series by the name Hen that looks like the characters in the poster... if Lionel is actually referring to this Hen, I'm unable to locate the girls on the poster)

(Hers was just a first name, correct? Masaru or something)

(Most of these girls are nameless, i.e. Colleague A, B, C, etc.)

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:03 am; edited 7 times in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Green Lines

(If I remember correctly, she's a nameless waitress from episode 103, correct?)

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
{Reserved for images}
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
{Reserved for images}
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
I can't get your numbered image to show up, but going based on what I see listed (and trying my best to figure it out). also, in that spreadsheet, some of the lists towards the end won't show up for me (some of the R and left and right lists).
P4-#58-Shigeki Arakawa
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
#77 is The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (specifically, a Zentraedi ship)

#76 is obviously one of the Gundams.....
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, guys!

@classicalzawa - I think I fixed the numbered AX '96 poster. Check it to see if it works. As for the spreadsheet, there should be scroll left and scroll right buttons to the right of the spreadsheets at the bottom. On my screen, P1 through R19 show up, so I have to click on the scroll right button in order to get the rest to show.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
#17 is the Super Atragon. #18 and #19 are two of the main characters of this OVA. Super Atragon is an anime remake/reboot (characters by Yas) of a live action film from the sixties. The OVA never went beyond 2 episodes even though it clearly sets up a sequel.

#12 is the friend of #18. Those cylinders are akind of magnetic weapon used against the humans. And only the Super Atragon can defeat it.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
For the yellow lines.

#59 is definitely Cecilia Irene and #45 could be Mirai Yashima, but I'm not sure.

And isn't #24 Manuela Panopa?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
I believe Row 25, #26 is the Psyco Gundam from Zeta Gundam.

The other Gundams are #48 is the ReGZ from Char's Counterattack, #54 is the S Gundam from Sentinel Gundam. #59 I'm not sure about.

The Gundam characters from row 16 are #44, Miharu Ratokie, and #59 Cecilia Irene
Rusty_Angel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Row 21, #40 is me, actually...

And I'm still on staff for the con. I'm hearing rumors that my
25 year award is going to be a straight jacket... Smile
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Okay, guys, I reuploaded the images. If you notice though, all of the updates from the last week were not added to my spreadsheet, so they're now lost to me. I remember some things but not the details. I know the girl from Sailor Moon was an unnamed waitress from episode 103, but the names of the rest of the folks allude me. Like the 3 people from Sesame Street! Or the rest of the Gundam characters (I remember that a majority of the women in the similar suits were also unnamed).

This is what I get for not updating the online list right away. Laughing Ugh.

If you posted this past week, I would appreciate a re-post! My online list is updated through everything that was mentioned up to last weekend, but I haven't updated since then.

Thank you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2