• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Director Collet-Serra: No Progress on Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
With this much, I think it'd make more sense to abandon the project.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Live-action Akira? fudge that. Akira is a throughly Japanese story, and either you have a big budget movie that sucks more than Dragonball Evolution or you have to find a way to cast accurately and have a smaller budget so you only can tell a part of the story. Sorry Hollywood, you just can't do Akira.

Live-action Ghost in the Shell? Needs a visionary director to translate the deep themes and symbolism to an American story. GITS is not so Japanese that you cannot change the names of the various Section 9 folks. I would love to see Mamoru Oshii asked to direct, but Christopher Nolan or a director of his calibur would be able to do it.

I am really want my live-action Battle Angel Alita, James Cameron.

Rupert Sander is set to direct GITS, so that isn't very encouraging. Oshii probably has little or no involvement in the live action movie, but I don't know that for sure, I'm only assuming.

Hollywood is looking for the next big thing, the writing is on the wall there. Comic book movies are in, and "nerd" culture is dominating the box office. Honestly, I think Akira has a better chance than ever to get made into live action. If GITS does well at the box office and is successful, that will be two back-to-back movies from the Japanese medium to be a box office success (Edge of Tomorrow being the other). Movie studios are going to want to start grabbing up anime titles and since Akira is already in the hands at Warner Bros. it would be logical that they would start getting Akira moving.

Like I said, I'm basing this off of GITS being successful. Because if it is, you are going to start seeing a lot of adaptations soon. Pacific Rim, Edge of Tomorrow, GITS....the wheels are starting to move into place....if the money is there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2