• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: Manga Sales Continued to Grow in the U.S. in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Congrats, Viz.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for posting about this interview. It's great news that shojo is doing well for Viz. Apparently, most of what is doing well are contemporary romances and romances with light fantasy elements, or vampires. Vampires are becoming Viz's lifeblood. Laughing

For anyone interested, Shojo Beat's official Facebook page has been answering questions today about what goes into licensing decisions.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Speaking of the top 750 list for 2014, you can see it here.
It's great to be excited over relative growth. Just keep in mind to don't go overboard with high expectations of absolute figures.

The news regarding Shojo manga is good, but Shojo sales in comic book stores didn't really have anywhere to go but up, and I would largely attribute that increase to the recent push by a lot of comic book retailers and industry sources to make the hobby more attractive to female readers. Sales are up because more comics stores are carrying Shojo to attract female customers.

While manga sales in general have basically stabilized after a long decline, I agree, it's important not to give industry spin articles like this too much weight. As often is the case, the 2014 numbers were heavily SKU'd by two series - Titan (and Naruto) which make up all of the top ten selling manga volumes, and represented over 10% of the total manga unit sales for the year. No other series had sales in any volume over 20,000 units. What we see these days is a couple of hit series that carry the industry, a small group of moderate producers, and a large group of misses that don't sell well at all. I think the now have a much reduced industry that has achieved a sustainable market, but that relative increase of 4.9% in 2014 is pretty much all in one series and thus more or less a blip on the radar. I'm not sure how much it speaks about the overall trend.

Also, in regards to what an earlier poster said, scanlations do not help manga sales in any way. Please put that thought out of your mind.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Nielsen BookScan numbers are not the actual number because don't have the resource to track every book stores nowadays. And they don't have digital sale number. Viz sells many manga digitally.

BookScan will be irrelevant soon once more and more people buy digital book. forbes has an article about this issue also.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2