• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem Crossover RPG's Gameplay Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
This trailer made me tear up when it came on, no joke. Here I was, thinking that the game was dead in the water, and now it looks a zillion times better than anything I expected. Can't wait.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
I don't think ANYONE expected this style for the "crossover." Laughing

It looks like it's incorporating more the elements of SMT and Fire Emblem than having a literal crossover.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

It looks like it's incorporating more the elements of SMT and Fire Emblem than having a literal crossover.

That's always what I assumed it would do. Lack of demons in the trailer was a bit worrisome thou. It's one thing to channel a Persona type look, it's another to not incorporate demon summoning in an SMT game.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

I think that's for the best. I'm personally more interested in the idea of original characters that represent either world having a meaningful story together than just an excuse of a story to mash canon characters for a game. The trailer looks really cool and I can't wait to see more. And even if some find the trailer lacking, keep in mind it wasn't until the third Persona 5 video (IIRC there were two cutscene trailers before it) that virtually everyone began screaming in excitement.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
When the trailer started, I was wondering what weeb RPG they are releasing now. At first I thought maybe it's Conception 3 or something. And then it hits you. Shin Megumi Tensai x Fire Emblem. More like Persona Emblem.

Luckily, it isn't being developed by the Persona team, but the Devil Survivor team. Devil Survivor series was still more closer to SMT core, despite looking somewhat like Persona.

I guess we'll see a SMT-like story line with apocalypse with the main characters having Fire Emblem classes/races. Maybe minor cameos. Not that hyped for the game sadly, but at least the Fire Emblem if game is hype as fudge.
B00m23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised this is getting such postive reception. Looks generic as hell. It isn't even a crossover anymore. And the song they chose is even more ugh than the one they used for that Agito mobile game.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
I'm kind of surprised this is getting such postive reception. Looks generic as hell. It isn't even a crossover anymore. And the song they chose is even more ugh than the one they used for that Agito mobile game.

Concidering SMT and FE game almost never have continuous casts between franchise titles, I always expected it to be a crossover of gameplay and themes. Not casts.

Which, IMO, is for the ultimate best.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm more surprised the trailer wasn't censored given how Nintendo of America handled Fire Emblem Awakening, though I suppose that's because this will have an M rating rather than an E or T. But the game looks good and I've been looking forward to this project for a long time now.

-Stuart Smith
nb97

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
OMG! This game looks so awesome. The theme song is also very catchy. I can't wait! Very Happy
TrowaAyanami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Between this and Fatal Frame 5 finally getting released outside of Japan, I'm a happy camper right now.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
This trailer made me tear up when it came on, no joke. Here I was, thinking that the game was dead in the water, and now it looks a zillion times better than anything I expected. Can't wait.

100% my reaction. Looked way better than anything I expected. I enjoy Fire Emblem a lot, and I'm a massive Persona fan, but I've never been able to get myself into the SMT main series.

Was thinking SMT x FE would be akin to the SMT SRPGs like Devil Survivor. Instead this looks way more like a Persona game than anything. I can't believe we're getting this game, AND Persona 5. I am fanboying to the max right now.
Hollow body

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
looks good might have to pick up a wii u
didn't want to say it but Rasengan at 1:04
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
The dearth of mythology figures in the trailer effectively kneecaps the hype for me, as far perceiving it as related to Megaten goes.
The absolute, number 1, defining mark of Megaten as a franchise ever since the beginning is the idea of gods and demons involved in battle in some shape and form, with the furthest possible abstract being mainly only used as personae in P3/P4.

I'll just have to change up my approach and think of it as another RPG until further info comes out, I suppose.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Concidering SMT and FE game almost never have continuous casts between franchise titles, I always expected it to be a crossover of gameplay and themes. Not casts.

Which, IMO, is for the ultimate best.

Precisely; game crossovers should emphasize how they're going to find a way to fuse two disparate genres or themes and fuse them together in order to meld them into something new. Like with Marvel vs CAPCOM, Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon Conquest, and now this. Just shoving characters in and calling it a day is insultingly lazy.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Im a little disappointed from what i imagined but i cant say i dont like it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1