• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goku's New Super Saiyan God Form Revealed for DBZ: Resurrection 'F' Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama is the George Lucas of Japan. Both old farts looking to wreck they're franchises with ludicrous changes before they leave this beautiful planet we call home. But in the end they are both laughing all the way to the bank.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
If it's successful, it can't really be a wrecked franchise.

And Tite Kubo is the true George Lucas of manga, if you ask me: He has incredible talent in some aspects but is severely lacking in others and requires help from other people. His early work is considered great stuff because he wasn't too proud to accept help back then.

So much salt in this discussion for some reason...Did Battle of Gods get this kind of anger?

antasad wrote:
And for those of you who joke about the new colors for each movie, well don't worry, because in the interviews Toriyama intended for Goku to stop at SS1 from now on. He won't need the other SS forms beyond that anymore. So we won't get any new transformations anymore with new hair color.

That is, of course, until his editors, marketing people, and studio executives request him to give Goku another form so they can create more hype and sell more toys.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Sure pulling out his tail was silly, but how he transforms into SS4 makes a lot more sense than getting a bunch of Saiyans to hold hands in a circle.

But holding hands in a circle was what allowed Baby to power up!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But holding hands in a circle was what allowed Baby to power up!

They did a similar thing for Brolli. But there is a big difference between those and SSG in that SSG wasn't just a transfer of power but a new transformation. Don't get me wrong, I think transferring power like that was a cop out as well.

Honestly, is this even canon? It seems like a retcon to the ending of DBZ where you see Goku fight kid Uub because this god stuff takes place before Pan is born. I realize it is AT and not just Toei like GT was, but Tomino is the original creator of Z Gundam and his newer Z movies aren't canon.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
wii800 wrote:
ha i called this shit back in the first movie i knew GOD mode was going to have more levels, only wish they did better for the design then just a color pallet switch, hope the next form is more creative

well considering the only thing he could think of was a glorified kaioken the first time i don't expect much from him anymore
TheBookofMichael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
Guys, you have to realize that Akira Toriyama didn't make anything new. What he did was hit the reset switch on Goku and Vegeta's strength using God Ki instead of normal ki. He opted to start completely from scratch with a whole new series but without starting an actual new series. Instead he is merely building on the Dragon Ball foundation he spent so much time on.

Look at it this way. It is a restart of DBZ with a different scale than before. Before it was Goku and the Z warriors fighting invading Saiyans from destroying the Earth and Goku uses the Kaioken to protect it. Now it became Goku and the Z warriors fighting Beerus from destroying the Earth with Goku using Super Saiyan God to protect it.

After that the next chapter was Goku and Vegeta fighting Frieza in the Frieza saga with the Super Saiyan form being discovered. ..............Soooo what is Revival of F about? Wink
CasCrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
I want to know what yall expected a new form to look like. more hair = more power? I like the new color. Bet Vegita is gonna be pissed that Goku's already an ascended super saiyan god.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
Allen_ST wrote:
Quite pathetic. It's hard to believe that I actually cared about this franchise in the past. The saddest thing is that they will most likely do this kind of relentless milking to other franchises in the future, like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

Will ? Laughing

Milking comes with the territory of being a successful franchise.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Akira Toriyama is the George Lucas of Japan. Both old farts looking to wreck they're franchises with ludicrous changes before they leave this beautiful planet we call home. But in the end they are both laughing all the way to the bank.

The same can be said with Kishi making all those Naruto changes.
Allen_ST

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Allen_ST wrote:
Quite pathetic. It's hard to believe that I actually cared about this franchise in the past. The saddest thing is that they will most likely do this kind of relentless milking to other franchises in the future, like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

Will ? Laughing

Milking comes with the territory of being a successful franchise.

It's still kinda sad though. I know they are miliking them right now, but I meant like, in the future, 20, 30 years from now, they'll be reviving old Akatsuki members as main villains in their own movies and such crap like that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Goku rocking Hatsune Miku
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Its not Milking when there hadn't been new Dragon Ball anything in 15 years.

DBZ had already BEEN milked 20 years prier (by people who were NOT Akira Toriyama). This is revitalization!

In case some of you folks weren't paying attention, Dragon Ball GT was already OVER when Dragonball Z was starting to appear in America. DBZ is still semi-fresh to us, but it was old when we thought it was new!
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
^^^What he said.

It's really annoying at all the cynics here who are crying milking when the darn thing isn't even out yet. Really you guys its just one design. You know nothing about the movie except the bare minimum. At LEAST watch it before going on a message board crusade. Everyone loved Battle of Gods and yet they complained every step of the way until they saw it. Seriously, at least act mature and have hope for the thing before voicing your premature disappointment.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I bet the cosplayers are gonna be pissed about having to nail yet another hair color of his. Laughing

most were hoping that the fan made SS5 where his hair is white would be the new one.

however this definitely dont bode well. i was kinda under the impression that he would be able to use the god form more often and at will. the only way this would work is that this form would at least give berrus a workout. especially if the others from the 12 universes take noticed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
casualfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
At its core, DBZ is about fighting stronger enemies and the heroes get stronger to beat them. These ideas have been recycled over and over. How did Goku turn SSJ? Getting mad over Krillin's death. Just like how Gohan gets mad in order to become SSJ2. What makes them entertaining though is the execution and that's where Toriyama excels at.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I actually loved the fact that Battle of Gods actually BROKE the standard DBZ formula.

spoiler[Goku doesn't actually beat Beers, hell he can't even sustain his SS God form through the whole fight (best fight moment is when his hair goes black, and he STILL keeps going). Sure it drives Goku to become even strong, as he does, but a more power transformation doesn't actually save the day this time, or at least by itself.

Also, great use of the Dragon Balls and Eternal Dragon to find the SS God method. An actually clever use of a wish, instead of using it as just a resurrection reset button.

Now if only we could get a story about actually finding Dragon Balls again........]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6