• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ninja Slayer From Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Well, there's no use arguing about whether it "works" when it obviously did for some people and not for others. Comedy is very subjective.

True enough. Ultimately, there are no real objective value judgements to be made about comedy. But...

kotomikun wrote:
It's a parody of stereotypes about anime and Japanese ninjas, as the review already explained better than I can. The humor isn't exactly the same as Python, but it's similar in that it's really weird and incomprehensibly stupid on the surface, while actually being more complex than it looks. Commenting on police brutality with a random scene of static cop sprites swarming all over a static "drunk guy" sprite (it actually looks like a mild-mannered businessman tilted sideways) with no justification, and bouncing on him like he's a trampoline, is very Python-esque.

...this whole second paragraph is 100% you arguing (or explaining at least) why you think it totally does work as comedy and why. And that's fine. That's all I'm doing too. Ultimately comedy is subjective. There's no accounting for one's internal reaction to a thing. But we're also still talking about an actual external thing too (the show itself) about which there are objective truths. Hence, we can at least contrast the objective qualities Ninja Slayer displays to those found in the Monty Python short that was posted. Also though, there are at least initial reasons why one finds something funny or doesn't. If you find [x] funny and I don't there's a point where [x] is specific enough that there is little else to be said. You just did find it funny. There is no subsequent reason. But we can still of course express precisely that more nuanced and informative position: That you found the show funny because of [x] [y] and [z] which are things you find funny. And I can express my position that I didn't find it funny because it lacked [a] [b] and [c]. Again, that's all I'm doing so there's really no need to get hung up in the notion that comedy is subjective.

(Incidentally, I'd agree that the one scene with the cops was the one scene I actually did find somewhat funny),
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
You weren't really expecting a show with such a camp cliche concept to be serious, were you?

Not necessarily, but I was expecting something sort of similar to Kill la Kill. And the advertising was really deceptive. But that's all part of the joke, right? Maybe it was, but that doesn't mean I have to be okay with it. Looking at it now that I know what the show will truly be like, sure, it's funny (although I can't admit that the animation isn't just plain bad, because it is), but I can't see how I would be able to watch this same thing 25 more times in the future. I hope they mix things up quite a bit along the way. I'll stick with it because I'm a fan of Trigger, but aside from that I'm not too impressed at the moment.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Garbage like Inferno Cop, just walk away. I wont even pirate it. Bye.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact:
The original writers of the novels loved the first episode.
onewing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
a PV should've been suspicious enough.
I'm really looking forward for something like this. Razz Razz
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
So... what was I watching? What was that?
Gonstead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
So... what was I watching? What was that?

Pure disappointment resulting from deceitful advertising.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
I get why people are angry but i don´t think that the people involved overpromised or anything as it was easy to figure out that we would be watching a motion comic.
The effect itself could be done better as i noted in my first post but what we saw fits the franchise 100% as Themaster20000 noted and my make or break point will be the writing which was abhorred on Inferno Cop but is showing some promise here.

Isn´t it fascination how much traffic a Liquid Animation-esque 10 minute short already got and here are some "historical" Ninja Gaiden cutscenes to calm you all down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGyFQ9aRp_U
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
The promos were quite misleading, and this show is more like Inferno Cop than I expected, but I'm fine with that.

Just one thing I'd like to point out: in addition to parodying American ninja movies, this show seems to be riffing on Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya, a tokusatsu show from the late '80s that was hugely popular here in Brazil. Those zoom cuts after Ninja Slayer jumps off a rooftop at the end of the opening sequence are straight out of Jiraiya's opening.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
People keep trying to excuse this by saying "they did it on purpose!" Did they, though? Every promo for this show used the few well-animated sequences instead of the cut-out barely moving ones. Inferno Cop never seemed ashamed of how cheap it was, but Ninja Slayer does. This feels more like a production that lost a sponsor or otherwise ran out of money early on than an intentional attempt at making something cheap looking.

Inferno Cop embraced its own crappiness, Ninja Slayer just seems embarrassed by itself. And given that Trigger's entire schtick is audacity (what made Kill La Kill awesome was how confidently it committed itself to its own absurdity) that lack of confidence is death for a show like this.

And even if this was all planned from the start, then they're just repeating the same joke they did with Inferno Cop. That's not exactly a very creative direction to be going in. None of the jokes in this thing really land aside from the "hello there, my name is X" bit, which then gets repeated until its worn out its welcome in a few short minutes.

I hate to say this, because I really like Trigger's other stuff and want them to succeed, but Ninja Slayer is crap. You're better than this, guys.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I read the novels, at first I wasn't sure I wanted Inferno Cop style animation, i was assured by the trailer promo it had animation.

Then they kinda tricked us and... I ****ING LOVED IT! Now that I think of it, this kind of animation really fits with the novel. Also like someone noticed it's actually parodyiong how stilted japanese animation can be to cut corners, it just change a dynamic point of view into flat one to make u realize it (and I know Inferno Cop did it too, but cutting in the animation bits for the action makes this really work).

It's a book about japanese>english-u wordplay jokes. Where we follow evil ninja's on their sceme, while they while the book is starting to cite the lyrics for a supermarket theme song, and Ninja Slayer suddenly deus ex machina's out of a fridge to kill them. I mean sometimes a dialogue in Ninja Slayer turns into:

Ninja Slayer: SHURIKEN THROW!
EVIL NINJA: Ninja Iron Skin Shuriken Block!

Repeated exactly like this (while the line may differ).

It's not serious at all. It's not that your following a storyline, in here. It's about villains, their wacky super powers, their weird pop culture reference (Smoke and Mortal Kombat, Sonic Boom and street fighter) and Ninja Slayer Deus Ex Machina-ing the fudge out of a random place to kick their asses. It [expletive] works.

The character designs being not up to standards to the Novel designs (WTF is wrong with Myrmidon in this... he looks like shiiiiiit, and the orange color... I prefer his original steel/black design and I know that they do the orange color to give them the cyberpunk/neon feel... but it's jsut wrong same with Sonic Boom's pink facial mask :/ ).

I just laugh at the faces of all that expect an 'anime', Ninja Slayer is making fun of u guys and otaku culture.

NINJA SHALL PERISH!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I've never seen inferno cop or little witch academia and I am about haif way through kill la kill so I am relatively new to trigger I have just seen the first episode of ninja slayer and I've gotta say it exceeds my expectations of what I thought this was going to be. Originally I thought this was going to be just another run of the mill ninja Anime but now I see it's anything but run of the mill I love it the first episode had me laughing so much that I almost spilled my sushi. This anime definitely stands out above the rest 1 for it's comedic side 2 this show can be real serious when it wants to 3 for it's over the top mind blowing action scenes. I will definitely continue watching this show and hopefully this show gets a great English dub I'll definitely be purchasing the home video release. Yeeart! Very Happy
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but yeah. People expected something like KLK, a ridiculous premise well animated with amazing fight scenes.

Instead we got Aqua Teen Hunger Force. And the humor on this show ensures it is NOT #1 in da hood G.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
I still can't believe that after all this time people still don't get the joke that Inferno Cop was trying to tell.

I don't care how long your paragraphs are or how well informed you think your opinion is. Ranting and raving about the animation quality in a show like this is like going into an ecchi series and complaining about panty shots.

Lord knows there's a million problems with a large number of ecchi anime that have nothing to do with the fan service. And hey, if you think the show fails as a comedy then I'd say that's a perfectly acceptable point of view. I've even seen some completely scathing one sentence long responses that I can respect.

But complaining about intentional design choices done for the purpose of comedy as if they're objective flaws and going off an a tangent about irrelevant drivel doesn't make you look smart. I can tell you that much.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
The second episode of Shinobi on acid hups i meant Ninja Slayer was a bit better then the first, i love the soundtrack and the scene with the limo is also featured in one of the manga.
A B- it is and my friends kind of like it too.

The viewer count drop was pretty sever on my end (80%+) but i am not so sure than the show is as low budget as some of you think.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7