• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ninja Slayer From Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I still can't believe that after all this time people still don't get the joke that Inferno Cop was trying to tell.

What was the joke exactly? I don't think I detected any.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
When you advertise one thing and swerve with another, yeah, you get opened up to criticism. And the fact is, the minimal budget cartoon has been done way better. Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast is funnier than Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer combined.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Another hilarious ninja star moment was from Ninja 3, when Sho Kosugi kills a helicopter pilot by throwing one from his foot Laughing. Didn't laugh as much from this episode,still extremely entertaining though. One it's biggest strengths for me is the excellent soundtrack which is used well.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of what's going on with the Japanese blowback vs our reaction is that Ninja Slayer is already a thing in Japan, which means it has its own fans, which means it has its own expectations. My friend in Japan who's a big Ninja Head was totally disappointed.

If the second episode is any indication they're doing the novels in fast-forward, and the atmosphere is really different from the novels, which are narrated by this perpetually amazed narrator. It's like having an anime fan stop you in the hallway at a convention and yell at you about how sweet Real Japanese Ninjas are.

https://twitter.com/sasuraiger/status/590194802001600515

I do like everything about how they did it; the experimental style, the cheapness as a punchline. I think it's awesome every time they do all that Kanada-looking motion and then bam, the paper doll bumps into the other one and AIIIIEEEE, SAYONARAAAAA. I think it's really weirdly fitting. They did it this way because they wanted to.

American anime fans though they were getting a new Kill La Kill, and lol

Anyway I reviewed the action figure here a long time ago: animenewsnetwork.com/astro-toy/2014-12-07/figma-ninja-slayer/.81868
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Read the first novel since the link was there. If it came with author notes, I imagine they'd read "Awesome. Isn't this bit eXtreme? I felt so awesome when I wrote this bit. Aren't I awesome? Sometimes I like to get into the crawlspace behind the urinals at school & just lie there."
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
@davecabrera How similar are Ninja Slayer: Kills and the novels as i am only reading it and is the Glamorous Killers version actual shounen Ai or a parody of shounen Ai as it is very hard to tell. This franchise is weird.

Edit: So i just read all the liked shorts and the "anime" is a reasonably faithful adaptation.
My manga is either set in a different continuity or later along in the story. I will leave you with all with this highlight and the Ninja i just read about really need to go to an urologist or start considering adult diapers if they weren´t perish already. They vomit a lot too:

Quote:
Then, the ninja grabs hold with both hands. Like a lamb to the slaughter, the ninja crushes the kendo gloves along with Satou-san’s flesh and bones like a tomato.
“Aieeeeeeee!” Satou-san’s screaming echoed. Both his hands holding the flamethrower get torn to pieces and roll on the moldy floor as the gushing blood hemorrhages.
Clutching Satou-san’s neck and raising it up, in no time, the ninja tightens his grip with incredible force. This time, in less than three seconds, Satou-san’s eyeballs along with a thick stream of blood spill through the opening of his Kendo mask. Overcome by fear, Nagumu-san is unable to stand up and falls over on his rear end.
Like a tuna hung out to dry for dashi, Satou-san doesn’t move a single muscle. The ninja soon tosses him behind and gazes down at this next prey. The ninja’s eyes are black like those of stallion with an ominous luster like an aubergine grown in Satan’s garden.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Just saw episode 2, and I gotta say, I am fudging LOVING this series!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
Heh, Inferno Cop was a love-it-or-hate-it thing (I'm on the "love it" side), so I'm not surprised Trigger's version of Ninja Slayer got similar reactions.

Sounds like a massive trolling thing, and that just makes these angry reactions all the funnier.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
As soon as I heard Ninja Slayer was like a spiritual successor to Inferno Cop, I knew I had to finally get a Funimation subscription and start watching the series in earnest.

I was.

Not.

Dissapointed.

This show is hilarious and awesome at the same time, and really strikes at home with what I think a "cool" ninja ought to be like. The music's really good too, and although part of me wonders how amazing it could be if it had been animated with lush details, the other part of me knows that it wouldn't at all be the same without the jarringly simplistic animated scenes. I really got to hand it to Trigger for throwing standards to the wind and just doing their own thing, they give me faith that the industry can still throw out spectacularly weird and fun stuff. So far the series is a total win for me, and I hope it keeps up the badass spirit moving forward.
onewing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
actually ,it's unexpected well done animate and serious fight in ep 2 Shocked
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
I hope to god Funimation simuldubs this show Matthew Mercer would be perfect he does a great scorpion in mortal kombat so I'm sure he can get his voice to fit the role.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 was actually quite interesting. Did not expect a rape scene, and yes, she either was, or was in the process of getting raped. Not about to be, but during or after. Creepy. Makes the beat down more enjoyable though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
After watching the Boston episode of Aqua Teen, I can safely say the problem isn't the animation, it's that it isn't funny.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I was personally disappointed with episode 3. =\ I was enjoying Ninja Slayer as a wacky, excessively "ninja" extravaganza. But instead of keeping with the hilariously awesome vibe, episode 3 went down a melodramatic and overly serious direction (which I personally don't feel works very well with the excessively limited animation). I'm also on the fence about the opening of the episode --- although it was portrayed negatively, I couldn't help but associate the moe character designs and almost-rape scene as possibly being some sort of trashy fanservice. I'll keep watching to see if it balances out somehow, but color me disappointed with the new direction.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
"I couldn't help but associate the moe character designs and almost-rape scene as possibly being some sort of trashy fanservice."

I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure the use of the term "moe" is becoming a bit too derogatory lately. And mis-used. I wouldn't call those character designs excessively moe, they don't look all that different from the majority of modern anime character designs. Which, especially in the case of female characters, I'm sure most of you would agree are designed to look cute.

I'm in such a love-hate relationship with this show at this point. Mostly love though, I think. I'd like to hold off full judgement until it finishes airing, but what I can say is that I'm having a lot of fun with it. Or maybe I'm just Trigger's obedient little b*tch, who knows. Although episode 3 was surprisingly serious. I often wonder if every anime, no matter how goofy and ridiculous, feels the need to eventually have a "serious" plot. Kill la Kill and Space Dandy pulled the same thing. Not that I'm complaining really, I freaking love those shows. Ninja Slayer is definitely the most interesting anime of the season for me, even if it's for all the wrong reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7