• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. is 6-Part Theatrical Anime With New Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antasad

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
WH-WHAAAAA . . . . ? ? 6-part FILM series??

What I've seen in the trailer, it's like a TV Show-level animation.

I can understand if it's a seasonal-length TV anime series. But if they made it for a movie after all...

It's kind of a shame, for these 6 movies not the kind of those high-budgeted smoothly-animated movies anymore like we used to have (for the Adventure movies, at least). Now I'm affraid I won't relieve those awed and goosebumped moments when I watched Our War Game (the Japanese version!!) for the first time. Man, that was masterpiece with Mamoru Hosoda.

And it's also a waste for Uki's design. They even go with a different style for the digimon's designs. I preferred the more minimalistic and stream-lined look of Uki's like in the 2nd key visual, really go along well with the human characters.

After all those controversies they made by announcing Atsuya Uki's illustration, they should've just gone all the way with him. Make him as the animation director, for example. That key visual above really (obviously) screams his animation style.

I was actually super-excited before. This was one of my most favorited childhood anime. I'm even one of those who's happy with Uki's involvement, since I like Cencoroll.

I don't mind if it's a TV series or Film series. What I'm disappointed is they didn't go for the max. I can even be more excited for a film-series if they're aiming for Our War Game -level. If they're going for a several-part film series, they should've done it like Rebuild of Evangelion, "going for the max"-wise.

Last edited by antasad on Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Toei basically pulled a fast one
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Pft, sasuga Toei.
If you told me Hosoda Mamoru was working on this though, then we'd be talking.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they weren't able to get a TV timeslot for some reason.

The big cast change is a huge shocker. Guess this is why they weren't saying anything about Maeda Ai returning for the Ed. Honestly I'd be ok with them recasting everyone, but just the Chosen Children? WTF?

And I was really against the idea that this was going to retcon Adventure Zero Two, but that tagline kind of makes me wonder.

Just, ugh. My initial thought is this is going to be another Sailor Moon Crystal - Toei is going to hype it up and then it won't live up to it. (I actually don't hate Crystal, but the hype definitely promised better.)

On a positive note, I'm really, really loving the art style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
antasad

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
I'm really disappointed that they switched the human cast, especially since they kept the monsters' actors. Like, why? So weird....

They're older now; maybe their voices changed?

My impression from reading forum posts is that Digimon has shippers who are hung up on hints of a pairing in the dub that never happened in the original, so with that in mind, I can now see three ways fandom can split over these new movies:

1. Sub/dub.
2. Ship/canon.
3. Old cast/new cast.

Get ready to rumble!

"This world has chosen the reality and the future which shouldn’t have been chosen."

That is SO retcon to me.

Let the rumble start!!

Last edited by antasad on Wed May 06, 2015 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Rufifox

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Here's to waiting 4 to 6 years to watch it completely!

I'm actually surprised about the cast choices for Taichi (Hanae) and Yamato (Hosoya). Since Hosoya has a deeper voice than Hanae, I expected Taichi to get the deeper one. Laughing

But I'm pretty excited for this!
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly OK with the cast change. I never watched Digimon in sub anyway, so I won't really notice a difference. The 6-part film series part I don't mind either, Kara no Kyoukai did something similar, so it'll all be out after maybe 2-3 years, provided there's a similar release schedule. A tad disappointed it won't be a TV series, but not by much. I'm a little concerned about the animation quality, though. It seems kind of clunky. Although this is the first PV, so maybe this is a rougher version than we'll see in the actual release.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
NO! I'm not happy that the cast got replaced.
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
This is exactly what I hate about Japanese voice acting. OF COURSE all the new voices are much younger. Hikari's new voice was younger than Hikari when the show came out!

And if people are gonna claim "You need a younger voice for a younger character!" They're still quite a bit older than the characters they're playing, why would they need a younger woman for Koushirou? Wouldn't a woman, regardless of 20s, 30s, 40s have to do a "character" voice when playing a boy? If it was just "Taichi needs to have a man's voice cause his voice changed" I'd be OK with that, but why replace it with younger voices for the characters still voiced by men & women? And they were able to return for the game & drama CD!

It just really bugs me that you have to be young and new to get roles, as opposed to working your way up.

I'm still kind of hoping this will get an uncut dub if it gets one. And I'm actually alright with it being movies instead of a show.
antasad

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Rufifox wrote:
Here's to waiting 4 to 6 years to watch it completely!

I'm actually surprised about the cast choices for Taichi (Hanae) and Yamato (Hosoya). Since Hosoya has a deeper voice than Hanae, I expected Taichi to get the deeper one. Laughing

But I'm pretty excited for this!

Well, Yamato's voice has always been deeper than Taichi, right?
Vennex

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Well I'm disappointed to say the least, was hoping for a TV series. I just hope they don't take too long to release all of them but I'm not gonna hold my breathe on that. I also wonder if the original dub cast will return though.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Are these actual full length feature films? e.g. Berserk trilogy and Eva Rebuild

Or are they actually OVAs that have a brief theatrical release and then sold on Blu-ray soon after? e.g. Ghost in the Shell: Arise and Strike Witches: Operation Victory Arrow

If the latter the wait may not be as long in between releases...
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
I'm dying a bit at Junya Ikeda being cast as Jo. Let's see, what has he done... sentai-otaku super hero, weapons-otaku mecha pilot, womanizer magical knight, and now he's the mature one?!

Glad to see him reunited with Ichimichi Mao, though. I've missed their wonderful banter, although it definitely won't be a "big sister/little brother" relationship this time!
Actar

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ooh... This I can actually deal with. Interesting to see both Alphamon and Omegamon. Actually looking forward to this now that it's not a TV series.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
I was expecting this revival of Digimon to be a TV show, but I don't mind that it's being a theater instead. I just hope it won't take too long to see each part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7