• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. is 6-Part Theatrical Anime With New Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
Okay. But you're still getting a major Digimon anniversary production, one which will undoubtedly have a higher budget than a TV show would have had, and likely a tighter story to boot.

Like, what is this attachment to the TV series format that is causing you guys to call for Toei's blood? Is it a length thing? A simulcast thing? What?

(I guess waiting a bit longer is a bummer, but the world isn't likely to end before this comes out, and delays happen all the time. If the final product is good, what do an extra few months matter?)

I don't make part of the people calling for Toei's blood, though I'm still a little disappointed due to not being a TV series.

The reason why that is a disappointment is mainly; frequency, length , Films and quantity.
- A TV series would air every week. Knowing that every week there would be an episode of it, would be incredible delightful.
- A TV series of the "pedigree" of Digimon would most certainly ask for at least 1 year of it. 1 entire year of an amazing series of an amazing franchise, would be excellent.
- Every Digimon TV series, except X-ros that was made for TV Asahi instead of Fuji TV, had a connected Films. Digimon Adventure, Adventure 2 and Tamers had 2 movies! So if Digimon Tri got popular enough we would not only get the TV series, but also 1 or 2 movies of it.
- A TV series has a lot more quantity of characterization, character interactions and other things.

While I like the movie series format, the TV series would be much better.
Also Toei is currently doing a lot of other great long running TV series(and a lot of movies), and certainly it will keep doing more for the span of those Digimon movies, so is not like I have much to complain.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
6 Movies should be more memorable than a TV series that will fade into obscurity.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm okay with tri being all movies, considering Digimon first started as a short movie. I rather have Toei do it right, than the crap we are seeing with Sailor Moon Crystal.

The cast change kinda irks me since most of the old cast are still active. Hopefully the new team convey the same feels as the previous.

Totally excited about Alphamon's appearance. I hope we get the Royal Knights in the Adventure universe.

And how come no one is commenting Takeru/T.K. being all brooding and appearing in the cliche rival scene with Taichi/Tai? I always knew he had a little darkness in him. If 02 is canon in tri, I hope we see the return of the Dark Ocean World.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
And how come no one is commenting Takeru/T.K. being all brooding and appearing in the cliche rival scene with Taichi/Tai? I always knew he had a little darkness in him. If 02 is canon in tri, I hope we see the return of the Dark Ocean World.

Because that's not T.K. I think you confused him for Matt (which is understandable since T.K's not wearing his hat anymore).
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
sooo not only was it pushed back to Nov the whole anime series was scrapped to a movie? >.<

GG. >.<
kgw

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
I prefer a TV series over 6 "movies"* in any time. I mean, it's a pity that Digimon can't/won't find a tv slot that when every awful show it has been released in the past years did find one.**
I mean Dragon Ball remake and new series will have a TV series, like
Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon... sigh.

When I knew about this six-installment .tri I couldn't help but thinking in "Gundam F91". Specially when we don't know how long those episodes will be.

* are they theatrical movies, OAVs...? You know how tough is getting them in overseas... (outside the US, specially).

** even if I know that Digimon won't be fighting for those shows' late night slots.
Goku1085

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
After seeing this great masterpiece that a FAN made using Tsuritama as a reference (cause the animation style is almost identical):

http://damianmad.deviantart.com/art/Daisuke-Adventure-Tri-510219083
http://damianmad.deviantart.com/art/Digimon-Adventure-Tri-02-517539705
http://damianmad.deviantart.com/art/Digimon-adventure-Tri-Ending-517536876
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG37DwD-UUw

and as a fan of both 01 and 02 (loving both Tai and Davis) I have a really strong belief that since the movies are gonna be a huge project with many elements and a huge storyline, the 02 cast will return as main characters/protagonists by the 4th or 5th movie to fight in place of the 01 cast again (just like they did before).

Just hear me out (before any 02 hater judge me). IF the 02 ending is canon then I believe that the 02 children have more things to show. At the finale of the series Davis' son was the new leader of the DigiDestined and the only one to wear Tai's original goggles. If Tai really defeats the final threat of the 6th movie then why wouldn't Tai's son take the leadership with his father's new goggles (as shown in the trailer). Although, not a strong argument, but if the 02 ending is indeed canon then I don't see why would the 02 children be left out as support characters on the movies but given such an important role and praise at the series' finale. Besides, this whole Digimon movies project is at a huge mess regarding the news and info accuracy. (first announced as an anime series then as movies, first release date at spring then at fall). Toei hasn't officially put off the 02 cast interely. The only thing that we know is that they won't be included as main or support characters of the first movie (they might not appear at all at the first movie).

So to sum up, I believe this whole movies project is a nostalgia project not for 01 only but for all Adventures as well. What do you think?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
Welp, there goes the chance of it being on TV, and not talking about in Japan (where it could still end up on TV, after the theatrical release). That also means less reasons for retaining the dub actors.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
^We don't even know if Saban will get these at all knowing how badly Fusion has been doing for them & Bandai.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
6 Movies should be more memorable than a TV series that will fade into obscurity.

Digimon always seemed like the inferior, more marketing-driven "Hey, whaddabout us??" series that deliberately tried to hound the Pokemon machine and outdo them at every turn, like Dreamworks hounding Pixar.

I can see a six-OVA series, but if they're saying "Pokemon can still have movie features, but we're going to have a six-part movie universe, JUST LIKE Star Wars/Harry Potter/Marvel!", oh, dear gods, they've jumped the train tracks. And that's in a country where they ever did care about Digimon.
It's bad enough when most Hollywood blockbusters immediately carve out holding places for an "upcoming trilogy" before the first movie even hits theaters (Man of Steel and the 90's Godzilla, for two), and that's three delusional films.

(I remember, back when the fundamentalist Pokemon-is-Evil campaigns started, we immediately started hearing about one or two evangelists saying Digimon is Evil, and smart money would bet they'd been hired. Confused )
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^We don't even know if Saban will get these at all knowing how badly Fusion has been doing for them & Bandai.

You think that they could at lest put the remaining episodes online rather than air them on cable.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Who says the Fusion episodes have been doing badly?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
ShanaChanTT wrote:
... the whole anime series was scrapped to a movie?...

It's still an anime series. It was never stated the transmission format for the anime series. Now we know that it will be shown theatrically vs broadcast.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to start the otaku mode about Digimon. But 02's ending is not an "if". It is cannon, at least until .tri movies say "Hey, it was all a dream!"

I mean, it's been years and people is still bitter about how the characters "shipped"? Shocked Rolling Eyes
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Goku1085 wrote:
After seeing this great masterpiece that a FAN made using Tsuritama as a reference (cause the animation style is almost identical):

http://damianmad.deviantart.com/art/Daisuke-Adventure-Tri-510219083
http://damianmad.deviantart.com/art/Digimon-Adventure-Tri-02-517539705
http://damianmad.deviantart.com/art/Digimon-adventure-Tri-Ending-517536876
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG37DwD-UUw

and as a fan of both 01 and 02 (loving both Tai and Davis) I have a really strong belief that since the movies are gonna be a huge project with many elements and a huge storyline, the 02 cast will return as main characters/protagonists by the 4th or 5th movie to fight in place of the 01 cast again (just like they did before).

Just hear me out (before any 02 hater judge me). IF the 02 ending is canon then I believe that the 02 children have more things to show. At the finale of the series Davis' son was the new leader of the DigiDestined and the only one to wear Tai's original goggles. If Tai really defeats the final threat of the 6th movie then why wouldn't Tai's son take the leadership with his father's new goggles (as shown in the trailer). Although, not a strong argument, but if the 02 ending is indeed canon then I don't see why would the 02 children be left out as support characters on the movies but given such an important role and praise at the series' finale. Besides, this whole Digimon movies project is at a huge mess regarding the news and info accuracy. (first announced as an anime series then as movies, first release date at spring then at fall). Toei hasn't officially put off the 02 cast interely. The only thing that we know is that they won't be included as main or support characters of the first movie (they might not appear at all at the first movie).

So to sum up, I believe this whole movies project is a nostalgia project not for 01 only but for all Adventures as well. What do you think?

no the 02 cast wont be coming back. thank God.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7