• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Details Fate/stay night: UBW, Durarara!!×2 Shō Release Details

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Hamme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Just like with everything UBW, I'm torn on this dub. I like Bryce Papenbrook and Kaiji Tang, but there's no replacing Liam O'Brien (one of my all-time favorites) or Sam Riegal, whose names have become synonymous with "Fate dub". Mela Lee sounds fine, if a little squeaky; Wahlgren, Freeman, and Sheh are all excellent - surprise surprise - and Tony Oliver is a fairly consistent deliverer of excellent dubs. I'm hopeful, I suppose, if a little skeptical.

lazydude500 said:
Quote:
Of course Todd Haberkorn had to weasel his way into this dub. He always ruins anything good with his awfulness. I'll save the ANN reviewer some time now; you can deduct 1 full mark from the dub score because yes he is that bad even when not a lead role. When are Producers and Voice Directors going to learn he's not worth ruining a project.

(insert sound of cracking knuckles) I'm sorry, did you just offer insult to another one of my favorite VA's, my friend? Twisted Evil
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
0nsen wrote:
It's always a sad thing to see good anime tarnished with English dubs. *sigh*

It's always a sad thing to see good forums tarnished with weeaboo dorks. Razz

Well said. If you don't like the dub you can always, y'know, watch it subbed. *GASP*

Anyway, I'm excited to see FSN's new iteration. Couldn't get through the original anime even as I liked the voice work and characters for the most part.

I'm a little sore DRRR!! can't be more affordable for fans who can't drop over $100 for one season, but I'm still happy it's being dubbed/released in the U.S. at all, so mostly good feelings.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Bryce Papenbrook is now Shirou. Of course he is. DON'T THEY HAVE ANYONE ELSE FOR TEENAGE MALE LEADS ARGH

Honestly, losing Liam O'Brien as Archer hurts too. Kaiji Tang lacks O'Brien's resonance, Tang has yet to show he can come anywhere close to matching the raw power in O'Brien's voice. It's clear they want to move in a different direction with Archer but I think it's going to seem weak in comparison to O'Brien's work.

Brina Palencia as Ayako seems to confirm the rumors she's moved out to LA again, except this time on a permanent basis.

Also, expensive Blu-Rays and DVDs are expensive. Sigh.

Agreed!
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
0nsen wrote:

It's always a sad thing to see good forums tarnished with weeaboo dorks. Razz

Well said. If you don't like the dub you can always, y'know, watch it subbed. *GASP*

I agree exactly, I'll never understand why people go out of their way to belittle others over something so silly as what audio track they prefer, just enjoy things in the way that you like it and let others enjoy it how they like it, no one is more special or better for preferring subs or vice versa.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

Someone doesn't know how to use the menu.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Guys, any news on Mushishi Zoku Shou??
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
LMAO, I feel so sorry for you Amercians that you have to deal with this kind of ridcules prices. Here in Europe MVM will release it in 2 sets with max 30 euro each box. That is like 37 USD? So like a lil over 70 USD for the whole series.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
So Assassin is now "the Blond Servant?"

He was underwhelming as Assassin, but as long as he doesn't pull a King of Frat Boys he should be at least decent.

I don't know if you mistyped, or don't know, but "Blond Servant" is spoiler[Archer from the Fate/Zero aka Gilgamesh]. They are calling him "the Blond Servant" because his true identity is a massive spoiler for those that haven't seen Fate/Zero.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Kari Wahlgren back = awesome Smile

So glad to have the Durarara cast back.

I really do miss hearing Wahlgren, Freeman, etc. as regularly as we used to so this is great. And fortunately Stephanie Sheh has been getting into a bunch of shows through both Bang Zoom and NYAV.

lazydude500 wrote:
At least Kari Wahlgren and Mela Lee will be worth a watch. Also good to see Megan Hollingshead cast in a brand new notable anime role (for a while it seemed like it was Shizune in Naruto or nothing).

Yeah, I'm real glad to see Megan Hollingshead in more stuff. Yeah, it felt like that a bit, even more so with Bleach done on Toonami as well.

Doc Hamme wrote:
Just like with everything UBW, I'm torn on this dub. I like Bryce Papenbrook and Kaiji Tang, but there's no replacing Liam O'Brien (one of my all-time favorites) or Sam Riegal, whose names have become synonymous with "Fate dub". Mela Lee sounds fine, if a little squeaky; Wahlgren, Freeman, and Sheh are all excellent - surprise surprise - and Tony Oliver is a fairly consistent deliverer of excellent dubs. I'm hopeful, I suppose, if a little skeptical.

(insert sound of cracking knuckles) I'm sorry, did you just offer insult to another one of my favorite VA's, my friend? Twisted Evil

Agreed.

Yeah, it's gonna be rough missing Liam O'Brien, he's always so good. Same here, I really like Haberkorn, for example he was a fantastic in two of my favorites in FMA and Soul Eater as Death the Kid and Ling Yao and I think he's a very good Natsu.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
The dates are sooner than I thought they would be.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm happy about Tony Oliver and Lex Lang being in the dub, but... no Liam O'Brien as Archer... I'm going to cry for a minute.

Oh well, I'll get over that eventually but still I would've loved Liam to return.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
What I want to know is if Durarara!! x2 will actually have "songs and signs" track. For some reason, the Aniplex releases pretty much never have that - which is pretty stupid given how much more they cost - but it was horrible with Durarara!! because Celty is frequently communicating by typing on her phone, and you have to turn on the full subtitles to have any idea what she's saying. You'd think that they'd at least have had a "songs and signs" track in that case, but no...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Yukika Saegusa: Jessica DiCicco

From Adventure Time Flame Princess (among others)?

FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
Tony Oliver is a fantastic ADR Director but unfortunately like majority of California dubs there's usually a separate casting director.

I'm sure Tony will try his best to bring out good performances out of every cast member, but when certain VAs have limited range and are honestly not all that good to begin with (Bryce, Todd) a veteran director can only do so much...

FUNimation and Sentai (Texas) take it for granted that their ADR Directors can ALSO cast their VAs. With that much creative control from just 1 individual (per dub) you would think at this point all dubs would be flawless yet now and then there's questionable casting choices and disappointing results.

As a fan who cares about quality I suppose all one can do is hope eventually the people in charge of casting get a reality check, read feedback and constructive criticism and moving forward take their work more seriously. Bad performances hurt their credibility too, not just the VA.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
So Assassin is now "the Blond Servant?"

He was underwhelming as Assassin, but as long as he doesn't pull a King of Frat Boys he should be at least decent.

I don't know if you mistyped, or don't know, but "Blond Servant" is spoiler[Archer from the Fate/Zero aka Gilgamesh]. They are calling him "the Blond Servant" because his true identity is a massive spoiler for those that haven't seen Fate/Zero.

Huh? I knew that; I meant that the movie Assassin's VA is now the 2014 anime Blond Servant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4