• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chivalry of the Failed Knight Anime Reveals More Cast, Ending Song, 2nd Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Probably another 1 cour and I'm guessing that it will adapt the first 3 volumes. Surprisingly, the theme song actually seems decent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan_TM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
This is not a 2nd, but 1st PV!

That's a second one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMIarTOSN7o

Also:

"the loser must be obedient for life." - do not take this premise seriously, it have no serious meaning in anime

And in B4 some posts.

1)Girl is not Tsundere
2)This is not a harem

I'm looking forward to this one.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Botan_TM wrote:

Hmm, not liking that song at all.

Botan_TM wrote:
And in B4 some posts.

1)Girl is not Tsundere
2)This is not a harem

Bless you. From the bottom of my heart. You've made me happy with this post! Glad to hear that this isn't a harem!
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
The title of this show annoys me every damn time. It should be "The Chivalry of a Failed Knight". Someone relay that to the people in charge for me.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
  • Yu Kobayashi as Ayase Ayatsuji

Hmmm.... I'm not sure her vocal tones will be a good match with the character's persona. The seiyū is more notable for performing characters with a higher-pitched voice and more extrovert persona (Gintama's Sarutobi Ayame, B Gata H Kei's Kanejō Kyōka, Shingeki no Kyojin's Sasha Blouse/Braus, Monster Musume no Iru Nichijō's Ms. Smith and more). Ayatsuji Ayase is depicted as being a quiet, introvert person and gets flustered somewhat easily.

Botan_TM wrote:

Nice, smooth animation, with -- for better or for worst -- the character designs retaining the same look from their printed counterpart. Kurogane Ikki's design looks at times a bit bland and "flat" (art-wise). The OP is... well, that Engrish bit at the start of the video was quite noticeable and it affected my opinion regard the whole song. The beat & tempo are nice, but that one bit of the lyrics... Confused
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
sounds like Absolute Duo. soul weapons, inept (but not actually) protagonist, super special main heroine. well, not that i'm complaining or anything. unlike most people i'm actually a fan of the "school battle" setting and its variants.
JC_Denton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Botan_TM wrote:

And in B4 some posts.

1)Girl is not Tsundere
2)This is not a harem

Harem or not, Tsundere or not, these things won't make the show better or worse.
Besides, it's not like this is the only show doesn't have this in fall 2015 even only counting LN or novel adaption.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
ANN wrote:
  • Yu Kobayashi as Ayase Ayatsuji

Hmmm.... I'm not sure her vocal tones will be a good match with the character's persona. The seiyū is more notable for performing characters with a higher-pitched voice and more extrovert persona (Gintama's Sarutobi Ayame, B Gata H Kei's Kanejō Kyōka, Shingeki no Kyojin's Sasha Blouse/Braus, Monster Musume no Iru Nichijō's Ms. Smith and more). Ayatsuji Ayase is depicted as being a quiet, introvert person and gets flustered somewhat easily.

I'm not familiar wit this particular series, so I'm not sure who this character is or how she is supposed to speak, but Kobayashi voiced quiet characters before, like Urushibara Ruka in Steins;Gate. Chain Sumeragi from Kekkai Sensen also counts, I guess.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
JC_Denton wrote:
Harem or not, Tsundere or not, these things won't make the show better or worse.
Besides, it's not like this is the only show doesn't have this in fall 2015 even only counting LN or novel adaption.

People have a deeply rooted prejudice to these kinds of shows and will automatically assume the worst. They'll think tsunderes and harem and will conclude that it must be terrible without giving it a chance. Thus it's necessary to point out that it doesn't have those things.

I've only been reading the manga but there certainly is plenty of harem elements and Stella is a bit of a tsundere. But it avoids a lot of the pitfalls assosiated with that by being one of those rare titles where (big spoiler) spoiler[the main couple hooks up early.]

I also appreciate how they have a respectually portrayed transgender woman in the main cast.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
I'm not familiar wit this particular series, so I'm not sure who this character is or how she is supposed to speak, but Kobayashi voiced quiet characters before, like Urushibara Ruka in Steins;Gate. Chain Sumeragi from Kekkai Sensen also counts, I guess.

True. Steins;Gate's Urushibara Ruka is more akin to Ayatsuji Ayase's behaviour in this show. Kekkai Sensen's Chain Sumeragi, while indeed talks in a quiet tone, she is a confident character that at times even banter with the other characters, the opposite of Ayatsuji Ayase's character.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
I think it would be more grammatically correct, even from a licensing standpoint, if it was "A Tale of the Worst One".
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
The animation looks crisp and clean, and the character designs look nice. Whether serious or cute, I'm satisfied with how they came out. Here's to hoping they maintain a high quality for the anime.

I'm excited for one of my favorite LN series getting an upcoming anime. It isn't every series where the spoiler[main couple is actually a couple that advances as a couple.]
AP24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
The PV in the article is not the newest one so it needs to be replaced. Looking forward to see how the romance is handled in the anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
I am wanting to watch it because I love them harem/harem-like series. Even in the third volume, Stella and Ikki have started making out. That right there is breaking the norms for the standard ecchi/harem series considering it can be volumes before the main couple doe this.
RyanAshfyre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
SL's already proved itself when it comes to fighting animation, so that was never a concern. As for the rest; I don't necessarily dislike it, but it just doesn't feel quite right to me. A bit stiff, I guess you could say?

Hopefully I'll warm up to it once I start watching it.

There is one thing that strikes me as being off though, and that's Ikki's character design. As a reader of the LN, I can say that this just doesn't mesh with what I would expect.

Ikki's always had a certain kind of ruggedly youthful appearance to him, and based off of the first snippet we got, it felt like the designer understood that.

With this though, it just doesn't quite match up to the spirit of the character that I've come to know. See what you think:

(Warning: Images are from the first two volumes of the LN. May contain some very minor spoilers. You have been warned.)

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Rakudai_Kishi_no_Chivalry_Page_17.jpg

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Rakudai_Kishi_no_Chivalry_Page_308.jpg

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Rakudai_Kishi_no_Cavalry_V2_cl1_-EN-.jpg

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Rakudai_Kishi_no_Cavalry_V2_Page_271.jpg

Look at those and then go back and rewatch the PV. The difference, I think, is pretty clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3