• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warners' Live-Action Death Note Film Casts Nat Wolff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping beyond hope that Wingard can still manage to make it into something decent, but it's hard to overcome a crappy scriptwriter and a charisma-free lead... still hoping though Sad
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
How are his potato chip eating skills?
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
So...America is going to find out what a Shinigami is? Or will that character be completely cut out because it's too Japanese? Rolling Eyes

Well, to begin with, shinigami in Japanese media were already almost completely inspired by the Western personifications of Death, like the Grim Reaper or the Angel of Death. The ones in Death Note are far more Western than they are Japanese.

Nevermind the countless American TV shows that have featured Death or Grim Reapers in one form or another.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
I've said it before but Adam Wingard is a really good director. The Guest was my favorite movie of 2014 and I've seen it literally a dozen times. It's that good.

Yes, this is the one thing that makes me have a little hope. I love his segment in V/H/S 2 and You're next. Considering the protagonist in You're next, I even wonder if he could even turn Misa into a decent female character.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Would Demon be more relevant? The Grim Reaper is usually a single entity. There can be multiple demons.
HamoodSolid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
AnthonyC8 wrote:
fuff wrote:
what happened to zac efron being light?! i still wanna see that
idk, good question. I like Zac Efron but I don't want him to play Light. Does he even know what Anime is!??

im not really a big fan of Zaz Efron, but he is a good actor and his looks would fit perfectly with Kira.Now if he can do a good Kira like persona he might actually work for this .
But i hope they don't make this guy from "paper Town" to be Kira.i have seen his work ,so definitely no.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, I wish they would keep in Japan and have it be played by Japanese/Japanese-American actors & actresses.

Personally, I didn't find the Japanese live action movies of Death Note to very good either...

Not that I'm defending a Hollywood version. That needs to diaf.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I am reserving all judgement until I see more.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I squealed when I saw this I say he is a good choice. I mean he is not as traditionally handsome as I would have expected but he seems the right type to me I think the guy is talented enough to pull it off. Good for him I want it to work out.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
So...America is going to find out what a Shinigami is? Or will that character be completely cut out because it's too Japanese? Rolling Eyes
it doesn't really matter since shinigami aren't part of traditional Japanese mythology anyway. they were basically imported into Japanese lore in the mid to late Edo period and based on the European concept of the grim reaper.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Next, they should cast Jim Carey as Ryuuk.

I'm serious.

Think about it!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the hate for the idea of Hollywood adaptations of anime. Yes, Dragonball Evolution sucked. That doesn't mean they ALL automatically will. What happens if we get a really brilliant film based off an anime or manga? It's possible. Heck, Speed Racer and Astro Boy were decent, very far from Dragonball's low level of quality.

I think this could be really cool. I'll judge when it comes out. Like with Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Naruto, and Robotech, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Rychy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
What saddens me is that this could be really great given the budget, actors, and a well written script. I wish Netflix could get a hold of it and turn it into a series.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Can we let "Dragonball Evolution" go already? That came out six years ago. Let's wait until we actually see something to complain. It has to be better than the live drama that just finished airing or the upcoming movie with Light and L's alleged children.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to jump to any conclusions until I actually see the movie but that aside if this movie actually does well and a lot of kids go to see it wouldn't we get a lot more complaints about Death Note books being used in schools although it most likely would just be kids screwing around after seeing the movie but it would undoubtedly create problems just putting that out there. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6