• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warners' Live-Action Death Note Film Casts Nat Wolff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Oh crap, this might actually be happening.....might. I still have my doubts. Until this thing is actually filming, I won't believe it.

And it's obvious this guy is going to playing Light, but i'm sure they are going to Americanize his name.

And a "reclusive police officer". Man, I really hope it's more complicated than that for L. L is technically a detective, not like normal a police officer.

Really hope they at least keep L in tact. Light is probably doomed to be something than the anime version. Probably will dumb down the whole series as well to try to get a larger audience.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't think that Death Note is a pinnacle of quality writing to begin with, it sure as hell has a lot of fans though. There are better things to remake like Monster or Paranoia Agent but those don't have name recognition on par with Death Note. As for a team behind the project, I honestly don't know what to expect, Wingard is a fine director, but he needs a good screenplay to work with, is Slater up to challenge? I believe F4 was a failure primarily because of Josh Trank's lack of vision and Fox's blind belief in his talent even then when reports about his total lack of work ethic started spreading all over internet.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
Fault In Our Stars............. that should bring the YA girl audience
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I squealed when I saw this I say he is a good choice. I mean he is not as traditionally handsome as I would have expected but he seems the right type to me I think the guy is talented enough to pull it off. Good for him I want it to work out.

I don't think he does at all - Light is supposed to be beautiful, because that's part of his charm. He is a charming, intelligent young man who knows how to use his looks best and how to play people...Nat Wolf looks cute at best. Which isn't really what Light is supposed to look like...he's supposed to look untouchable - that is part of who he is as a character.

Ugh, well I didn't have any hope for this anyway but now I care even less.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

I don't think he does at all - Light is supposed to be beautiful, because that's part of his charm. He is a charming, intelligent young man who knows how to use his looks best and how to play people...Nat Wolf looks cute at best. Which isn't really what Light is supposed to look like...he's supposed to look untouchable - that is part of who he is as a character.

Quick! Get one of the One Direction guys to play him before they break up some more!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I don't get the hate for the idea of Hollywood adaptations of anime. Yes, Dragonball Evolution sucked. That doesn't mean they ALL automatically will. What happens if we get a really brilliant film based off an anime or manga? It's possible. Heck, Speed Racer and Astro Boy were decent, very far from Dragonball's low level of quality.

I think this could be really cool. I'll judge when it comes out. Like with Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Naruto, and Robotech, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think it would make more sense for a adaptation when it's more of a Western setting, like Bebop, Trigun, etc. Also, Gangsta could have decent live-action version if that happens.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1, I think Death Note can be easily put in a Western/American setting. I did not feel that the story was culturally Japanese, it seemed to me like something that could happen anywhere. My only concern is with L's quirkiness and Near's character, if he is in the remake. Yes, it can end up being a mess, but if handled correctly, I think it can at least as good as, if not better than the Japanese live-action movies.

On the other hand, I feel "Akira" is too culturally Japanese to adapt so I don't have too much faith in it. But Death Note, I'm cautiously optimistic.
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
People rejecting him reminds me of how Comic Book Fans dislike how 1 actor portrayed a certain superhero wrong and go ranting about it while the mass majority of people who watched the film (Casual Market) doesn't even care, and are watching the film anyway. Get a clue people, it's the Casual Market who will always go for Dubs, and as if you are introducing a Live-Action, they won't care if it was an Anime first. The casual market will go see it regardless, and they make up a large majority of brining in the money when it comes to putting this is Theaters. So they have to make it more Americanized if they want to pull in a new crowd of Casual Market people. If you get the Casual Market in, then that makes it more amazing, and make the higher ups to actaully start putting Anime Dubs in theathers, then once that takes off, the Subs Purists will have there Subs in theater, just not as big as Dubs first, because they want to Americanize this New Genere to the eyes of people who never imagine this stuff exists.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
DisneyLM wrote:
People rejecting him reminds me of how Comic Book Fans dislike how 1 actor portrayed a certain superhero wrong and go ranting about it while the mass majority of people who watched the film (Casual Market) doesn't even care, and are watching the film anyway. Get a clue people, it's the Casual Market who will always go for Dubs, and as if you are introducing a Live-Action, they won't care if it was an Anime first. The casual market will go see it regardless, and they make up a large majority of brining in the money when it comes to putting this is Theaters. So they have to make it more Americanized if they want to pull in a new crowd of Casual Market people. If you get the Casual Market in, then that makes it more amazing, and make the higher ups to actaully start putting Anime Dubs in theathers, then once that takes off, the Subs Purists will have there Subs in theater, just not as big as Dubs first, because they want to Americanize this New Genere to the eyes of people who never imagine this stuff exists.

Making quite a few generalizations, are we?
kid_nova

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
If you look at the directors and the people behind the scenes, this movie has potential, they just have to make something of that potential, Death Note's story and concept are pretty solid, you'd have to do some M. Night Shamalan type shit to mess it up
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that this movie would never happen. A trainwreck incoming. I don't like this guy, nor does he even look like Light. Oh God why are they doing this...

I can already see the ignorant masses saying Death Note sucks after seeing this film with no prior knowledge of the book or anime. Sad day indeed
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I can already see the ignorant masses saying Death Note sucks after seeing this film with no prior knowledge of the book or anime. Sad day indeed

It kind of does. Should I remind what happened after certain character died? Even before that moment it was hardly a masterpiece, just really polished but also very predictable work.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I've actually grown to like him in the role, if he really is playing Light. If you look at his face long enough, you can notice he's capable of pulling off a charm and using this to manipulate people while also looking like he can pull off very dark expressions... just my take.
vision33r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood doesn't understand anime, they think it's simple translation of the story plot and Americanize it for the audience.

Anime is art, it needs to retain it's purity. Once it loses it's purity there's zero appeal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6