• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Joker Game (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I didn't pick that up until the end, but it's kind of hard to fairly make that point in an anime where I can't tell the difference between characters I know are different people! Very Happy (I thought the short guy who shot the tall guy in the alley was one of ours!)

The reverse can also be true though. I've been recognized by people who I barely spoke to (or never spoke to, since it was the person they were with I was briefly speaking to), with my attire and hairstyle completely changed, in completely different environments, days or even months after the first meeting (and it's really disconcerting that I don't remember them!). I wouldn't make a very good spy, I guess. Smile
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought the short guy who shot the tall guy in the alley was one of ours!

If it makes you feel better, you weren't the only one. I spent a good portion of the episode thinking the shooter was Jitsui. (The Fukuyama Jun character.)
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty gutsy for the reporter to spoiler[show to Honma his own graduation photo while smiling right at him.]

I still have my natural hair color, so if I take off my granny glasses and fix my posture people will sometimes think I'm 35-40, which is hilarious given my actual age (which is classified) Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

The story about Robinson Cruose from that book is interesting. It tells the tale of a spy and alludes his role that has very similarity to some of the main characters in this series.

Regarding sleeper agents, they can be a very useful when activated at the right time at the right moment. They're not always so easy to detect either. Izawa Kazuo is also a clever man for his daring escape, goes to show that during this time period, no one is safe from suspected of being a spy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5
The greatest story never told is how the hell is there a sleeper agent sympathetic enough to Japan that apparently would highly likely be of English/European decent.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
So the plan the whole time was to trick someone into leaking info of a spy so they would then listen and start using encrypted communication when that spy was captured, using the British to strengthen Japan?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
Pretty much, I guess (if I understand what you distilled it to). It seemed like yet another problem with the intractable chain of command in the Japanese military/political hierarchy. The ambassadors refused to be bothered encrypting their coms unless forced to, and the only way to force them to was to prove they were leaking intel.

My total inability to tell these guys apart when they're standing next to each other is reaching crisis proportions. Smile The only ones I can recognize are Yuuki, Sakuma, and Tazaki. I finally made a spreadsheet so I could read the end credits to find out who the episode featured, and lo and behold, all this time I thought the French episode was about Jitsui, and it was actually Hatano! I think it was pretty clear that episode 4 featured Fukumoto, but again I had no idea who we were following in 5 until I could refer to the kanji in the credits to find out it was Kaminaga. I need a deck like they used in Iraq with their pictures and names on them. Very Happy Part of my problem is that even when I can say "this guy is that guy," (I managed that before this episode ended) I still can't say, "that guy's name is ___" without looking at the credits.

To top it all off, there are supposed to be 8 of these guys, but in the deck array of their half faces in the OP, there are 9 of them, not counting Sakuma and Fuuji. Is the one on the far right the extra? Is that Honma from episode 4? ::pulls head bald::

Oh well, I still can't tell all the Matsunos apart either. Very Happy Again, partly because I can't easily recall all 6 names without a cheat sheet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My total inability to tell these guys apart when they're standing next to each other is reaching crisis proportions. Smile The only ones I can recognize are Yuuki, Sakuma, and Tazaki. I finally made a spreadsheet so I could read the end credits to find out who the episode featured, and lo and behold, all this time I thought the French episode was about Jitsui, and it was actually Hatano! I think it was pretty clear that episode 4 featured Fukumoto, but again I had no idea who we were following in 5 until I could refer to the kanji in the credits to find out it was Kaminaga. I need a deck like they used in Iraq with their pictures and names on them. Very Happy Part of my problem is that even when I can say "this guy is that guy," (I managed that before this episode ended) I still can't say, "that guy's name is ___" without looking at the credits.

They all look the same anyway to me. Smile Am I wording that racist joke right?
Well seriously I have not really cared about differentiating the characters anyway, possibly intentional that they do not stand out. Almost as a flipside they have kind of gone out of the way of making some Caucasian characters stand out that they look grotesque, like bulbous head mc-side scar.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
I thought it was more "Spy-masters be creepy, yo." Cause Yuuki's no prize either. Although I guess when he's not trying to be creepy, the ladies like him.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oh well, I still can't tell all the Matsunos apart either. Very Happy Again, partly because I can't easily recall all 6 names without a cheat sheet.

I'm actually finding it harder to tell them apart than the Matsunos. At least the Matsunos all had distinct personalities and were color-coded most of the time. All the spies seem like they're essentially mini-Yuukis. They could all be the same single spy for all the difference it would make to any given plot.

Oh well. Just like the Matsunos, I mainly tell them apart by voice actor in the end anyways. (That's why most of this episode, instead of thinking "this time it's Kaminaga," I was thinking "this time it's Kimura Ryouhei.")

Last edited by Darkmagick on Tue May 10, 2016 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Interesting episode, felt like I've seen it before though in a movie before related to kids getting involved with spy shenanigans.

I felt the answer to the riddle was a bit underwhelming though in the end. Good stuff still, quite a bit of thrilling storytelling. And those kids are actually quite brave and smart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
A quite remarkably dull episode. Cerebral dramas may often be likened to games of chess, though it is desirable for them to be more arresting than the experience of watching one. Admittedly, I found it amusing for the terms "Oxford Street", "Tube", "Pub" and "Stout" to be uttered in close succession during Kazuou's interrogation, as if to pay lip service to the episode's setting.

Predictably enough for Production I.G, the military uniforms were highly accurate. If episode 3 was a sober re-imagining of 'Allo 'Allo!, so too was this one with respect to Dad's Army.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I've been waiting for Tazaki's episode because Takahiro Sakurai, but also because he's the only face I can sort out from the rest and he's a fun character. I enjoyed his handling of the kids a lot.

His musings on spies in wartime sounded like an excuse though. In a way, he's right (Dušan Popov, a triple agent working for MI6 in WWII tried to alert the US to German interest in Pearl Harbor, but Hoover hated him, threatened him with deportation, and refused to pass on the intel), but also wrong (Popov also convinced the Germans that D-Day would be launched at Calais rather than Normandy, which was kind of useful). It seems to pretty much depend on who's in charge.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Ah so the dog is somehow involved in the latest episode of spy espionage shenanigans. Revenge is served! I wasn't expecting that but then again, anything could be a trick pony in this series.

The Engima system is interesting to say the least. It goes to show that there are many ways for nations to gather intelligence.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
So Amari was up this time. For some reason I thought it was going to be Odagiri.

The fun part was that the example Enigma encryption was the last part of Lord Byron's "Epitaph to a Dog," which was a nice foreshadowing of the importance of the episode's canine. Smile

But good lord, that crossword. Yikes. I have no idea how such puzzles work in Japanese, but whoever laid that out didn't have the first clue about how they work in English. Very Happy I don't believe I've ever seen a 15 x 15 grid with only 10 black spaces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4