×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Kabuki Play Previewed in TV Ad




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Akaime



Joined: 16 Feb 2016
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Bullshit.. Bad actors and bringing an anime into real life is stupid as hell.

Btw, Luffy ain't as fat as that "Luffy actor".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jppcouto



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 103
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
its just me or even the female characters are male actors?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
falcon.punch



Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 693
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
its just me or even the female characters are male actors?


Its Kabuki theatre. All guys even have female roles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samuelp
Industry Insider


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 2238
Location: San Antonio, USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Akaime wrote:
Bullshit.. Bad actors and bringing an anime into real life is stupid as hell.

Btw, Luffy ain't as fat as that "Luffy actor".

I really suggest for your own sake that you do a little research into Ichikawa Ennosuke IV (that "Luffy actor") before you go denigrating a man who has perhaps more than anyone else has helped to popularize and modernize traditional Kabuki Theater and attempt to bridge it to a new generation here in Japan and abroad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 4621
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kumadori approves. YOYOI!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Akaime



Joined: 16 Feb 2016
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Akaime wrote:
Bullshit.. Bad actors and bringing an anime into real life is stupid as hell.

Btw, Luffy ain't as fat as that "Luffy actor".

I really suggest for your own sake that you do a little research into Ichikawa Ennosuke IV (that "Luffy actor") before you go denigrating a man who has perhaps more than anyone else has helped to popularize and modernize traditional Kabuki Theater and attempt to bridge it to a new generation here in Japan and abroad.


That's some nerdy talk right there. Jeez. Stop being such a kid and respect other people's opinions. I don't give a shit about that guy anyway because 2D is the best :3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 3703
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
I was able to see this back in November and the show was a lot of fun. If you have the opportunity and like One Piece or want a more modern take on kabuki, then I'd recommend getting tickets.

If, however, you want a traditional kabuki show, then this will not be for you. Think of super kabuki as a mix up between traditional kabuki and something you'd see on broadway.

When I first read the headline I thought this might be for a TV airing. I was disappointed that they didn't have a dvd/bd of the show available for sale at the time I went. Hopefully they will release one after they move on to a new show. I'd love to be able to see it again at my leisure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sariachan



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 1497
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I attended to a traditional kabuki play (well, three actually) in Ginza, which was fantastic, and I would totally attend to this show as well.
I hope they'll really bring it around the world as it was initially stated! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 3703
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I attended to a traditional kabuki play (well, three actually) in Ginza, which was fantastic, and I would totally attend to this show as well.


I've been thinking that it would be a good comparison to see a traditional show the next time I'm there. I probably won't spring for such good seats though...

Sariachan wrote:

I hope they'll really bring it around the world as it was initially stated! Smile


I didn't know they were reaching for that, but I'd love to see that happen too. There was a lot of complex (at least to me) stage work though and you'd probably need to have a place to display subtitles like at an opera, so it might be difficult bringing it to a lot of places.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sariachan



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 1497
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
I attended to a traditional kabuki play (well, three actually) in Ginza, which was fantastic, and I would totally attend to this show as well.


I've been thinking that it would be a good comparison to see a traditional show the next time I'm there. I probably won't spring for such good seats though...

Sariachan wrote:

I hope they'll really bring it around the world as it was initially stated! Smile


I didn't know they were reaching for that, but I'd love to see that happen too. There was a lot of complex (at least to me) stage work though and you'd probably need to have a place to display subtitles like at an opera, so it might be difficult bringing it to a lot of places.

Instead of subtitles they could rent headphones, but I'm worried about the possible lack of suitable theatres to display all that stage work too...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group