• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shirobako: Collection 1 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
An absolutely fantastic show.

Very much so. I fell in love with the series almost immediately. ^_^

Quote:
Like the reviewer, I'm sad that they couldn't get some of the Japanese extras (including the OVA "first episode" of the show-within-a-show Exodus that would go with this collection), but I suppose I can understand that they think it might be niche in the US. It was a definite hit in Japan for an anime, though.

Unfortunately, because of the slap-dash treatment of Shirobako by ADV2.0, I won't be purchasing this release for a long time, if ever. One Blu-ray, and no OVAs? Will they get their own separate volume like the Girls und Panzer OVAs? I'll wait to see if what gets released in another region is any better; if not, then I may go without... It hurts to see such an excellent show get treated this way. ;_;
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Well, I do think that the show (accurately) portrays the staff as being most concerned about the DVD and Blu-Ray sales of Exodus as a sign of whether or not it was a success, regardless of the number of viewers or buzz.

...and pre-release orders at that.

I remember when Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince was coming out there were heaps of extras included with the initial press of the first 2 blu-ray volumes, including a two-part coupon code for a live event and OP and ED PV's. The idea being to help convince people to purchase not just the first two volumes but the rest of the series.

In a reverse tactic to ensure strong blu-ray sales in the face of widespread copying, Animelo Summer Live 2014 first press blu-rays included coupons for the ticket lottery for the 2015 shows. I'm not sure if anything would work as effectively for anime.

Real life Studio T&T in Shinjuku, featured as a recording studio in Shirobako:

v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The funny part is Taro's based on Tsuotomu Mizushima, the show's director. Laughing
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
Ever since Sentai build an inhouse recording studio

when did this happen?

In 2014

Source: http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/ask-sentai-18-nozaki-kun-box-sets-and-sentai-studios

Quote:
Do you guys do all of your English dubs in house, or do you send them to other companies like Bang Zoom and NYAV?

In past years, Sentai relied on several outside studios including Seraphim Studios, Bang Zoom and New York AV for our ADR work. That changed in 2014 when Sentai built its own ADR facilities and brought those important functions completely in-house. Now every single Sentai Filmworks release is produced by, you guessed it, Sentai Studios.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
WHY NO ENGLISH DUB??????????

Not that I mind, since I think Shirobako has a good cast, but I just imagine that since Sentai licenses about every show that comes out on a given season, they just throw a few darts at a board to decide which ones they're going to actually dub.
Sentai may come back in a few years to it and give it a dub. They did it with Maid sama and more shows. Ever since Sentai build an inhouse recording studio their dub quality became so much better. That's why I hope Sentai will ever be a bit on the same level again as ADV with their amount of dubs they produce each month.

I can only hope and pray that this is the case since Shirobako deserves it. It pretty much is at the level ADV was (since it was born from ADV's ashes) minus the personal TV channel, but it and Aniplex have a LONG way to go to reach Funimation's level.
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I loved everything about Shirobako except Taro. I'm just so shocked some wise old man hadn't fired him. Because no one, after making the mistakes without shame or never learning that he did should never be allowed to work in the anime industry.

It just makes me think of something John O'Donnell (The guy behind Central Park Media) learned in college which was "When is the right time to fire someone? The first time it occurs to you that you might have to."

If anyone is curious here's my source for that quote: https://youtu.be/KTWs9T7i0Tk?t=402
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:

Ihave seen the oposite of that being menionted in severla busines related discussions, if an error is expensive, you don't wnat ot fire someone who has learned the hardway how expensive the error is.
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
StrangeIslands wrote:

Ihave seen the oposite of that being menionted in severla busines related discussions, if an error is expensive, you don't wnat ot fire someone who has learned the hardway how expensive the error is.

You're implying that someone has learned the hard way in their job thus allowing them to keep their job but in reality they learned the hard way because they were probably FIRED.

The thing is what if you have someone who doesn't learn the hard way after it happens? He/She keeps making the same mistakes afterwards without learning a darn thing or changing.

You have to fire them if it is mostly likely to keep on happening. If this person keeps making such mistakes that it hurts the business in the long run & could cause a number of people to lose their jobs as a result then you simply just have no choice.

Then again your spelling & grammar is sort hard to read.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
unitmikey wrote:
Shirobako is such a great show.... I almost feel bad for having the caveat that I do, but quite frankly, I think it would have benefited from putting more focus on the fact that they are putting in all this hard work for their production to be illegally downloaded and pirated in large quantities. Granted, many people are still buying anime, but it would be kind of tricky to put in something like that without alienating a large group of the audience.

Otherwise, yes, great character writing.

Is piracy as rampant in Japan as it is in the US? Considering how small the affect of the US anime market is on the Japanese market, I can't see rampant US piracy being a big deal to Japanese companies unless it started impacting their domestic market.

I was thinking about people just watching their stuff without paying for it in general, whether that be from overseas or in Japan.

I wouldn't mind if it had a scene where one of the characters met a very pronounced fan of the show they worked on, and then when they would thank them so much buying and supporting there product, they find out the same fan never actually bought anything they made or even viewed it through legal means.

The show wouldn't necessarily have to dwell on it, but it think it would have been important to show how the character would react (which would most likely be in disappointment imo).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Love love loved this show. Easily the best anime of it's time frame. As for a dub, I imagine they might've skipped it because they know a lot of dub fans probably don't care much about the creation of anime. I have no sources to back up this claim, it's just the vibe I get from most dub fans when I've tried to discuss things with them about anime. Most seem to focus more on the show's content and don't generally care about the staff involved or hte process. Which is fine, of course. Except for the group that credit the US companies for everything.

Anyway, the only complaint I have about this release (I don't care about bonus features, honestly...except OVAs that were included in the Japanese versions), is the price...as usual with Sentai (But obviously not as bad as Aniplex), is too high. List price is $59.99. That's about 5 dollars an episode. I personally feel like it should be $39.99 tops for the amount of content it has. And that the dvd version should be $19.99 because DVDs are awful and should be a dead media by now.

If DVD had gone the way of VHS, Blurays would be much cheaper since they would be the only reasonable option for companies to sell. But people are cheap and can't spend 20 dollars on a bluray player. So I don't fully blame Sentai and other companies for charging as much as they do for blurays...but I wish media industry as a whole would push DVD out already.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
unitmikey wrote:
Shirobako is such a great show.... I almost feel bad for having the caveat that I do, but quite frankly, I think it would have benefited from putting more focus on the fact that they are putting in all this hard work for their production to be illegally downloaded and pirated in large quantities. Granted, many people are still buying anime, but it would be kind of tricky to put in something like that without alienating a large group of the audience.

Otherwise, yes, great character writing.

Is piracy as rampant in Japan as it is in the US? Considering how small the affect of the US anime market is on the Japanese market, I can't see rampant US piracy being a big deal to Japanese companies unless it started impacting their domestic market.

Piracy is an enormous obstacle to the further expansion of the Anime industry. WhIle individual western countries are small next to the Japanese market one should note that the total number of ratings for Anime shows in English language sites like MAL is comparable to the biggest Japanese language sites rating anime. Hence, the number of aniotas in the west is comparable to the number in Japan (both around 5 million).

Chinese piracy is also probably enormous given the number of Internet users China already has. There are probably 10 times the number of aniotas in China compared to the US and probably more than in Japan itself. Wink

By the way, the losses to piracy caused by illegal Manga sites have been estimated to be of 4.5 billion dollars annualy in sales. That's like over 1.5 billion Manga books and magazines every year pirated. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mizushima is joined on this production by series composer Michiko Yokote, who he previously worked together with on Genshiken's adaptation. Their collaboration there seems like a strong template for Shirobako; the two share a brilliant ability to capture everyday drama in a way that makes it seem real, as well as a strong knack for offhand, incidental humor.

They also partnered in the same positions on Haré+Guu, xxxHOLiC, Joshiraku, Squid Girl, and more recently Prison School. A good team by all accounts. Yokote is my top contender for Most Underrated Anime Screenwriter.

The encyclopedia page says that most of the non-Yokote scripts were written by Reiko Yoshida, who was head writer on another Mizushima anime, Girls und Panzer. (Also Bakuman, K-On! and Tamako Market, Marimite, HaNaYaMaTa, Yowapeda, REC, Non Non Biyori... quite a resume.) Is any of her touch evident in the show?

Actually, there's a surprising number of similarities between the two women, right down to both of them having written a magical girl manga (Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch and Tokyo Mew Mew) and been head writer on a cult-classic Junichi Sato anime (Princess Tutu and Kaleido Star) in the early 2000s. Confused Couldn't begin to speculate as to why. Yoshida seems to have started writing scripts much later.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Without a doubt Shirobako is a great and special show. And yes, it sucks that apparently the show was not a big enough hit to justify a fancier release.

I have this set, and, like other Sentai's 12 episodes in 1 BD releases I have watched, I did not notice anything really wrong with the visual quality. I of course prefer to see Sentai use more discs for their sub-only releases, but I rather have a bare bones release than no release at all.

I know that I am not sounding entitled enough, but I cannot blame Sentai (or any other company) for their super bare bones releases when they are only charging the low price of $40 for them.

And it's such a shame for this show since the Japanese version includes a huge documentary about the making of and includes interviews with the REAL life characters depicted in the anime, right down to setting and even wearing the same clothing drawn in the show. I just wish Sentai could at least provide limited editions with extras like these for sub-only titles too, like NISA or Aniplex.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

And it's such a shame for this show since the Japanese version includes a huge documentary about the making of and includes interviews with the REAL life characters depicted in the anime, right down to setting and even wearing the same clothing drawn in the show. I just wish Sentai could at least provide limited editions with extras like these for sub-only titles too, like NISA or Aniplex.

Aw, man! Sad That's something I'd gladly pay extra for--so long as it was subbed. ^^;
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
is the price...as usual with Sentai (But obviously not as bad as Aniplex), is too high. List price is $59.99. That's about 5 dollars an episode. I personally feel like it should be $39.99 tops for the amount of content it has.

But are you really paying full MSRP? I pre-ordered this set for $39 at Right Stuf. And at the risk of being labeled a billionaire, I will say that paying the full $60 for 12 episodes on BD is fair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3