• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen Jump Site Teases April for Hunter x Hunter Manga's Return

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XSp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:
I do loved YuYu Hakusho and that's why I'm so drawn to this...

You should give it a shot then... word of advise: the beginning of the story might feel a bit slow/boring, but keep going at least 'till you go through the hunter exam. Or at least watch some 5 episodes or so of the new anime.

It's well, a bit different from Yu Yu Hakusho. It's a whole other world operating on it's own logic set, with a big part of why people like it being a sense of discovery and wonderment for how HxH world "works".

Also, it's less of a detective story, and more like a game/trial oriented story, at least a good part of it. Characters basically facing lots of crazy trials, games, or puzzle like situations, revealing and then evolving little by little.

Everyone will give you a different recommendation, but manga or the most recent anime will probably be the least painful to go through. The original older anime stopped mid-way, and then you'll have to hunt for 3 OVAs to get close (but not quite - it's two arcs less) to the end of the newer anime. Due to how things went, the pacing is a bit awkward too. It could be said that the original anime was a bit darker though.

But the newer anime is just as good. It cut introductions shorter, feels just a bit more lighthearted, pacing is a bit better, and had a proper ending, with two arcs more than the original plus ovas. The manga stopped at the beginning of the new arc past the anime.

If you still didn't like it past the first arc (hunter exam) or past the first 5 episodes, then no problems abandoning it... but I'm guessing you won't. xD
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ok, it seems real. I can't still believe it. Shocked

For whoever is unsure about getting into HxH... Just do it. I watched the first animated adaptation, and I loved it. I watched the recent anime, and I loved it even more.
I even read some of the manga, and despite the sometimes lazy artworks and knowing the story already, I loved it too.

The manga is nowhere near to be concluded though, in my opinion; the main character himself went through some strange development and I bet he has some unresolved issues, just to name one of the reasons I think that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
I had several chances on VHS to watch the early HxH but didn't get around to it until 2012.

I had to drink a bottle of tequila to start the story because christ, no one says anything about the show only that it is "good".

It wasn't until about 5 episodes in, when I saw what Killua does and how Hisoka acted before I couldn't stop watching non-stop to where we are now. Also got three of my friends into it. Also sought out the games and all the back catalog to compare it to the 2011 version.

Now I'm as jaded as the rest waiting for the expedition to start. There are too many amazing battles and things that go down to mention them all.

It story telling is how the old SNES RPGs were back in the day, You have to go through it to know. It's not predictable like so many other shonen series.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
Loved Yu Yu Hakusho. Never got into HxH. Watched the first anime AND the reboot anime. Didn't click with me. Would reading the manga make a difference?
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Loved Yu Yu Hakusho. Never got into HxH. Watched the first anime AND the reboot anime. Didn't click with me. Would reading the manga make a difference?

Depends on how far you got, I'd consider HxH average or similar up until Heaven's Arena (27-38 in the reboot), that's where both animation, music and everything except writing kicks up a notch, the writing is left for the following arc.

But maybe that's a tad bit slow for you, I got into HxH with manga, I practically stormed through the first 50 chapters and reached the York Shin arc where I began to read slower since that's the part in which the plot thickens, a lot.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed reply, Valhern.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2