• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Everything about the newest episode is everything I have wanted it to be since the anime began. The animation, the emotion, the hand off from Nana to All Might, UNITED STATES OF SMASH, and everything just came together so beautifully to create probably one of the greatest episodes in recent anime history in my personal opinion.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
Yeesh -- it's gonna be hard to establish yourself as a compelling shounen property in the wake of BNHA. It just keeps totally knocking the pacing, themes, character writing and interactions, and especially these oh-my-god-sublime climactic fight scenes out've the park.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
I watched this episode 5 times already and I still get hyped by it. Perfect in every way. A+++
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
This episode was just absolute perfection. I said earlier after episode 42 that only MHA could top itself and there we go. Episode 42 and 49 are this year's best episode and I doubt anything this year will be able to beat either of them. 49, even more, just seems unbeatable.

MHA HYPE is just true hype. I'm more then overjoyed this episode lived up to the years of hyping it up.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
It hardly seems fair that All Might has effectively been depowered while All for One is still a large threat. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention to the minute details of the plot, but I would hope that the All For One power has just as great of a weakness as the One for All power. I haven't observed it yet.

Otherwise, it seems like All Might didn't really accomplish much here. All for One will likely escape prison and the villains will rise again.

I like the theme of All Might sacrificing himself to inspire others, but I wish he had accomplished more than he did in this situation.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
It hardly seems fair that All Might has effectively been depowered while All for One is still a large threat. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention to the minute details of the plot, but I would hope that the All For One power has just as great of a weakness as the One for All power. I haven't observed it yet.

Otherwise, it seems like All Might didn't really accomplish much here. All for One will likely escape prison and the villains will rise again.

I like the theme of All Might sacrificing himself to inspire others, but I wish he had accomplished more than he did in this situation.

AfO can't live without life support machines because of how much All Might wounded him. Even with all the quirk he has he can't actually recover anymore then he has. So it was actually him, heavily wounded, or Tomura that could get captured.

Also if All Might hadn't fought him, don't you actually see how no one would've been able to stop him? His time as the symbol of peace was already coming to an end, by giving it his all one last time he successfully got the strongest villain arrested and heavily restrained, while leaving to the next generation a message that now it was their turn. Inspiring them. He gave everything he had here. Both of them did, but ultimately it's obvious that while the heroes won the fight, the villains won this war.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Surprised

I am somewhat lost for words but the power of these scenes, and the affect they have on me personally, makes me realise that even though I have spent my life thus far playing the jaded bastard, I have a real soft spot for heroism and giving your all for something. Just felt like I had to say that.

No, I'm not crying, shut up!
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
I was waiting for the anime to adapt this part, and Bones did not disappoint. A lot of people I know are priasing it as a near perfect episode, and honestly I will have to agree. I was tearing up like a child the entire fight, even though I already knew how everything will play out. Everything felt so sincere and raw and powerful, and it just cements how powerful All Might is and how much he means to the world as their hero.

What I honestly like most about this fight is that it’s the final shift in the narrative that makes the story truly all about Deku’s journey. He can no longer count on All Might to be there to fix his mistakes and he must absolutely succeed at becoming the next Symbol of Peace.

All for One gettig defeated earlier is also better for the story in my opinion because he was All Might’s final boss. For Deku it should be Shigaraki, who was breed to inherit All for One like Deku did with One for All. They’re meant to start a new generation for heroes and villains, a true fight between successors.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Remember how much everyone hated the first few episodes? This series has come quite a long way in three years. I hope more companies finally see that this is the proper way to adapt shounen material.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Remember how much everyone hated the first few episodes? This series has come quite a long way in three years. I hope more companies finally see that this is the proper way to adapt shounen material.

I don't remember anyone hating on the first few episodes? I think a few were maybe critical of the pacing and the few production problem it had, but beyond I don't remember hate. At least never enough to use the term *everyone*. I'm pretty sure people were always more positive on the show. It only got more positive as time went on.

didn't the MHA rank well in all of the AOTY poll ANN did?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Even with all the quirk he has he can't actually recover anymore then he has.

Now, if there was a quirk that could reverse time in the body.

I am glad this series is filler free, so no doubt next year we will get another blockbuster finale in the 4th season Very Happy
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Well like it's brought up this episode, One for All is a quirk that has to be passed on, and I think it's lucky enough that the old holder can still use its lingering power for a while like what All Might had. All for One still has his quirk fully intact.

And sometimes quirks don't match up in terms of power and don't have as much of a drawback, and its the users that have to make up for that lack of power. It's why All for One chooses not to take Best Jeanist's quirk, because his quirk is something that only became strong through training and experience. Todoroki was specifically bred to have a really strong quirk, with the only downside negated through using both his fire and ice powers instead of relying too much on one or the other.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I am glad this series is filler free, so no doubt next year we will get another blockbuster finale in the 4th season Very Happy

There has been filler here (just two episodes but still filler)

v1cious wrote:

I don't remember any hatred when it first started, there's always haters but MHA was universally praised from the get go.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

v1cious wrote:

I don't remember any hatred when it first started, there's always haters but MHA was universally praised from the get go.

“Hate” is a strong word, but there were definitely more folks who were more critical with Season 1 as opposed to now. The most common criticism was that the pacing was slow and it takes its time getting to the meat of the story. It’s actually hard for me to introduce some friends to BNHA’s anime cause the first 3 episodes were just “okay” (their words, not mine.)

The anime was praised, sure, but it wasn’t until Season 2 where I saw more people get on board the hype train and the series really blew up.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know what "taking MHA for granted" would look like; but, we do sort of have a model for how people will look at it several years from now (if it continues its popularity-snowballing), in the form of FMA. I mainly associate the two for the self-centered reason that they're the only shonen anime I've ever liked, but they do have general similarities in that they pushed the boundaries of the genre (while still having a relatively straightforward heroic save-the-world-from-evil story, albeit with an enormous cast) and took many common tropes more seriously and realistically than one would expect.

Over time, FMA sort of became the gold standard of its genre, and a "gateway series" for many people--moreso than stuff like Naruto and Pokemon, which are big enough outside the otaku-sphere that they don't necessarily drag people into it. MHA may eventually displace it as the primary That Thing What Got Me Into Anime. Even if it doesn't do that, it seems likely it'll have a lot of nostalgia power long after it's over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 81