• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetness & Lightning (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
Well that was cute. Nice to hear Nakamura in a non-hero/cool/badass role. It's also worth noting that Tsumugi is voiced by the child who did Hina's voice in Barakamon (Endou Rina). I'm glad she's doing more roles and Barakamon wasn't just a one-time gig. Here's to hoping Hara Suzuko (Naru) also does more voice work.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
yup, that was extremely adorable. This one is a keeper
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Tsugumi is soooooo adorable. Good episode overall again, loved the realism and the relationship she shares with her father. As usual, the episode made me hungry with the way they were hungry their food.

I also love how Tsugumi wants to make more friends and treats others like they are a special family.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprise Kotori doesn't faint. She seems to have a constant flow of blood directly into her face.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

So that apron-face - was Tsumugi trying to do a sexy wink in her fancy new apron or was she being blinded by her own sparkles? Very Happy

I want to see Kotori's thumbprint. Somehow I doubt her mother signs notes to the teacher with hand-drawn smiley faces.

And there is a world of difference in day-old or older rice and hot, freshly cooked. Cooked rice tends to get a bit hard as it ages and loses water, where fresh almost melts in your mouth. I couldn't eat whole bowls of plain rice, but several spoonfuls is tasty (since the minerals in the water itself makes a huge difference in taste, a little saki surely would as well). After that, I'd need some embellishments. But if Tsumugi had never had fresh hot rice in her memory, it's no wonder she'd be over the moon about it.

Also, the cold baked potato sounds fine, although I'd need the skins off and a dash of salt. If the slices were raw potato, I wouldn't even need the salt. Smile
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I want to see Kotori's thumbprint. Somehow I doubt her mother signs notes to the teacher with hand-drawn smiley faces.

Well, this is the same mother who put her recipe into picture-book format for the benefit of a small child. Although I guess if you're doubting Kotori's story you'd have to doubt that too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Unless those recipes were from the time when Kotori was writing her name under the bar, then yes I do think Kotori wrote those up as her mom gave her the instructions over the phone. If it weren't for the teacher Kohei consulted with, I'd even doubt the existence of her mother, although she did talk to her on the phone (unless she's as far gone as spoiler[Goto from Samurai Flamenco]).

On the other hand, she did look surprised at the notes, but maybe she hadn't thought about how they looked until her teacher was looking over her shoulder. ::shrugs:: Her mom's probably just a goofball who likes to doodle, like her daughter. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
Well, seeing as how Kotori's mother is listed as being voiced by Satomi Arai, it's a given that she'll be a huge goofball.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Also, the cold baked potato sounds fine, although I'd need the skins off and a dash of salt. If the slices were raw potato, I wouldn't even need the salt.

He wouldn't use salt either. He was a former Marine Officer who could probably still fit in his uniform at 50. He said his food choice was due to elevated cholesterol in spite of his diet. I could never figure if that was true or he was a bit of a hypochondriac.

I didn't think about the difference between fresh cooked rice and what would be in a bento late in the day. I still think that a bit of flavoring would help, though if you have always eaten your rice that way that is probably what tastes best.

Years ago I read a New Yorker article on Mac Donalds. In discussing their study to find the perfect French fry, the author said that much of cooking involved the infusion of starch based foods with oil to impart taste. As a kid we ate our rice with pats of butter.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Really adorable.

I at least like that they are touching on the topic that it could be seen as wrong for him to rendezvous with a student, that he asked advice from another teacher on it. Although he did not actually get to meet her this episode, the fact there was a thumb print to supposedly authenticate it was a bit funny. I do think that we got a bit of a look at Kotori this episode, that she wants to feel like the restaurant is not stagnant, that she apparently hides to eat after 2nd period, that she has a fear of knives which makes cooking hard by herself.

Thinking about the ED and such, I wonder if what we are going to see is a mini community form of people eating together as a family.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So that apron-face - was Tsumugi trying to do a sexy wink in her fancy new apron or was she being blinded by her own sparkles? Very Happy
Hah, that's exactly what I was thinking Smile

I sure hope Kotori being scared of knives has nothing to do with the reason her parents got divorced Shocked
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Very good episode. The balance of the comedy and little bit of drama at Tsugumi's school with the realism made this episode very enjoyable. How can anyone call that adorable girl a "thief"?!

I also kinda like how they go into detailed steps at making the food of the episode. Mm, I want some steak for lunch today...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Sensei didn't know that chopping onion makes you cry? How carefully and slowly he was doing it made it seem like he was performing surgery.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Having seen episode two, I do wonder why the act of chopping a vegetable would pose such a difficulty for an adult.

If I may make a cultural comment, I am also quite baffled by the "cat's paw" hand position—admittedly something ubiquitous in anime—being used for gripping vegetables as they are cut. I would assume that simply clasping the item with the fingers parallel to the knife's blade would offer greater control. Is the cat's paw an "extended technique" of sorts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
If I may make a cultural comment, I am also quite baffled by the "cat's paw" hand position—admittedly something ubiquitous in anime—being used for gripping vegetables as they are cut. I would assume that simply clasping the item with the fingers parallel to the knife's blade would offer greater control. Is the cat's paw an "extended technique" of sorts?

They teach this to kids apparently as early as elementary school. Rin in Bunny Drop even had a special child's cooking knife. I can see that if you are trying to teach the very young to cut up vegetables that this would work. The bottom line is that you need to be aware of where your holding fingers are. A cut across the knuckles would be as bad as across the finger tips. I find that fingers extended or, as you say, parallel, gives better control.

I'm always amused that they show a new cook with multiple Band-Aids. As if being new to cooking also makes you clumsy. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7