• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetness & Lightning (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...the apples and raisins would kill that for me. I'd also cook the meat first, drain of most of the fat and cook the garlic and onions in what remained. Glad to see curry magic got her to eat her peppers. My at-home curry has red and green peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, bamboo shoots and mushrooms. And lots of sriracha. Someday I might try throwing some potatoes in, but I can't seem to wrap my head around potatoes and rice together.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Kouhei. Even in the face of Tsumugi breaking down over her mom, he never does, but he always has this expression like he's about to.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah...the apples and raisins would kill that for me.

Raisins I can understand, as certain Peshwari and Kashmiri curries traditionally make use of them. But adding apples to a curry? Egad, outside of Austria I have never seen such an unspeakable practice. One may as well add custard.
Quote:
I might try throwing some potatoes in, but I can't seem to wrap my head around potatoes and rice together.

Are you not fond of the curry house staple that is Bombay aloo? That is often served in tandem with rice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote
I don't know what that is. I've never been to a curry house. Or had any curry I didn't make, for that matter. I like what I make, but I'm totally in the dark as to what it's supposed to taste like. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
They got to eat her mummy's curry again. I was wondering what the emotional reaction was going to be, along with that moment of him realising that he was at home alone.

I am a pretty big fan of curry, although unfortunately my family are not really big curry eaters, my sister especially as a picky (and boring) eater does not really allow it as a whole family thing. And with the rest of them they are pretty big light weights that I tend to not find very satisfying, where I remember one time having some curry some neighbours made which made lips burn a bit, being kind of perfect for me, but set everyone else's mouths on fire. I am a big fan of a nearby Japanese fast food restaurant that does curry though. Honestly one of the foods I wish I could make some time, but I don't think it would be worth making it just for myself.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I like what I make, but I'm totally in the dark as to what it's supposed to taste like. Smile

Have you ever enjoyed the sensation of a tingling, crackling fire atop the mouth when eating, with the nose in a fluid, molten state, and the sinuses as clear as a path charred into the land by a volcanic flow?

That is how it is supposed to taste. Hot!

DuskyPredator wrote:
Honestly one of the foods I wish I could make some time, but I don't think it would be worth making it just for myself.

Make a large batch and keep the leftovers! Like the squid stew from episode eight, the flavour improves in the refrigerator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
That is how it is supposed to taste. Hot!

Then I guess I'm doing it right, although that would also describe my nacho salad with habanero sauce, and wasabi-smeared sushi, neither of which is what I was led to believe curry is supposed to taste like.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
During the scene where Kouhei helps Tsumugi use the knife and Kotori is cringing in the corner, I imagined an equivalent scene with Kouhei helping Kotori use the knife with his arms naturally around her. I wonder if they'll go there. If there is to be a resolution of Kotori's fears, that would be a way to handle it, but there would be a lot of blushing and stammering involved.

I was amazed that those kids could go to a sleepover without any comfort items. Tsumugi would certainly have wanted Galigali-san there with her, and I doubt she'd be alone. At that age my daughter was incredibly attached to a little stuffed bunny; I can't imagine her willingly leaving the bunny at home while she slept over at school.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I love like gravlax and cold smoked salmon, but just eating raw fish like that is kinda weird to me. I know it's really fresh, but I can't imagine it having much taste at all, aside from the taste of soy souce or something. And then eating it with the bones? Yeah, that's the first time I've seen that. But I've never really eaten any Japanese dishes myself so what do I know.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I have now seen episode nine for myself. Being somewhat of a curry enthusiast, I was pleasantly surprised to see garam masala correctly being used as a flavour enhancer before serving. Contra what the anime seemed to convey though, such a blend typically imparts little heat. Chillies are to be used for this end, and should be added early in the cooking process.

While I have already said my piece about the travesty of using apples in a curry, it must be added that the same sentiment holds for the use of soup. The vegetable base with which curries are typically started is sufficient to introduce flavours of that variety!

Compensating for this is the fortunate fact that the anime remains as affective as ever. We finally see tears being shed for Tsumugi's mother, something with which it is only natural to sympathise.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

That was fun, glad to see they had a beach theme episode. I think it's around Summer time?

Anyway, the experience that Tsugumi had that day with the others made it worth watching imo. It's also really pleasant to see how realistic the show is especially when it involves the food making process. Tsugumi's reactions to making the food (in particular the part when the fish's head was cut off) is priceless. I also kinda like how they showed more of their family's background story including when Tsugumi was just a baby.

What a delicious meal though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
APMcAuley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Another great episode, this series really makes my heart smile.

I wish l cooked cook better, almost everything they cook makes me feel hungry by the end of the episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I actually cooked fish for dinner earlier, which did not stop me from getting hungry. The preparing of the fish was fascinating, this show has kind of got me interested in perhaps re-watching this series at some point with meaning of recreating the dishes.

What was up with Yagi's reaction to in the past asking Kouhei what kind of sweets that he likes? Am I reading too much into it as possible undertones that Yagi at some point may have had interest in Kouhei? Yeah, my mind probably just went at a weird tangent.

Seeing Tsumugi so down was a little tough. Her insistence at being a cat, perhaps as a distraction, was interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

The more I watch this show, the more I feel nostalgic about my childhood. No, we didn't have a crepe party but we did have similar plays where we wore silly outfits in front of an audience and putting on a show to remember. And also since we were kids at the time, there were some arguments about who should get what role.

Tsugumi and the others were quite entertaining to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why you'd use your fingers to flip the crepe instead of a spatula. And sweet potato filling... for crepes? That's weird to me too.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't get why you'd use your fingers to flip the crepe instead of a spatula. And sweet potato filling... for crepes? That's weird to me too.

Considering what flavors they put in Japanese Kit-Kats, nothing there surprises me!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7