• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Announces Gundam 0083 Afterglow of Zeon, Galaxy Angel, More Gundam License Rescues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
One imagines that only The 08th MS Team is missing from the list of old UC Gundam titles yet to be rescued. On several occasions I have had the opportunity to obtain F91 from bargain buckets, but I have yet to take pity on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I really wish we'd just DVD die already.

Some people still like it and many older shows in Japan have no bluray release. I would like to own the rest of Lupin III and the older specials on DVD, thank you. Don't like it then don't buy it.

Also, Shawne said during the panel that if a Bluray for a show does not exist in Japan he can't make one happen. So tough nuts, DVD is here to stay.

DVD is still King in Japan. Yeah, they sell 4K TV's and BD players, but the majority of the media sold is DVD. There is very few anime you can buy new off the retail shelf that are BD. (I am sure the exception to that is Tokyo).
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
All they said about Utena is that the Bluray release is still being planned. Many fans were concerned about it being cancelled due to lack of updates.

And Big Windup 2 is old news, it was licensed at last year's AX, which is why the article isn't mentioning it.

Well, that's good. Thanks for the update.

I know the license for Big Windup is old news, but I believe it having an actual release window of Fall this year is new. If I hadn't checked their feed, I wouldn't have known to keep an eye out for it so I'm just calling attention to it for anyone else interested.
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
We'll have many more announcements coming over the next couple of months, so please stay tuned. Make sure you follow our Facebook and Twitter pages for the latest.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about the releases, please send a message or tweet our Nozomi Entertainment Facebook and Twitter pages. They're managed by the production team, and they'll be able to answer detailed questions about the releases that I can't.

Nozomi's Facebook and @NozomiEnt
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
DVD is still King in Japan. Yeah, they sell 4K TV's and BD players, but the majority of the media sold is DVD. There is very few anime you can buy new off the retail shelf that are BD. (I am sure the exception to that is Tokyo).

That has more to do with the fact sales for 'late-night anime' have mostly transitioned to online and anime as a genre has largely been pushed out of shelves in general stores. It's a very niche demographic targeted and those who look, look mostly for specific shows.

When it comes to animation, kids' shows and similar are indeed mostly on DVD, but when it comes to shows aimed at women sales are pretty much even at this point between the formats. For male-targeted late-night anime, the shift happened long time ago and sales favor Blu ray at ~80%...
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

..... but I'm still anticipating blu-ray news for Utena.

This, Escaflowne, and Legend of Galactic Heroes are some of my anticipated releases this year. Great to hear that Nadesico is also getting a Blu-ray release, I've only seen a few episodes on DVD but a HD release makes it more enticing for me to check out the whole series.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
More Gundam? Whatever.

But a license rescue of Galaxy Angel? Awesome.
But it's just the first season and it's going to be on BD? Why? It's from the digipaint era, after cel......

Are you 100% sure it was animated using digipaint?

.... Found the answer.

Last edited by Norbie on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Still waiting for that G and SEED blu ray release :/

Was the Japanese release of SEED just an upscale or did they reanimated ala Gurren Lagann?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
But a license rescue of Galaxy Angel? Awesome.
But it's just the first season and it's going to be on BD? Why? It's from the digipaint era, after cel but before anyone really got really good at doing it cheaply. Ok, to be honest, I just need Z and A to finish my collection and I'd rather not have to pay 100 dollars a season for them. So color me "interested but confused".

As already mentioned, the first season was cel-animated. However, the Japanese BD release is upscaled, just like the later digipaint seasons.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Galaxy Angel at first (the first season or two if I recall), but got tired of it as it went on. I'm pretty sure I never picked it up though, so I may get this (after reading some reviews), but I'm still surprised to see just the first season licensed and not the whole thing.

I'll definitely be picking up 0083, but I'm going to hold off on 0080 as I'm just waiting for it to finally come out on BD in Japan so that RightStuf can bring that over instead.

As for Nadesico, I bought the remastered DVD set a while ago and haven't gotten around to re-watching it, so unless these BDs are super amazing or a very good price, I'll probably be skipping this too.

Overall though, glad to see RS still putting out more gundam. Guess that means it's selling well and will continue =)
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I really wish we'd just DVD die already.

Some people still like it and many older shows in Japan have no bluray release. I would like to own the rest of Lupin III and the older specials on DVD, thank you. Don't like it then don't buy it.

Also, Shawne said during the panel that if a Bluray for a show does not exist in Japan he can't make one happen. So tough nuts, DVD is here to stay.

Even if there are no HD masters, simply having a BD release with SD content where it's progressive would be a huge step up over DVD IMHO. Whether they're able to get progressive content from the SD masters (after all, it's not like animated content is naturally interlaced) or whether they simply deinterlace it with professional software that has the best chance of getting that right, it's still better than having your player deinterlace it on the fly at whatever quality level it can manage. Unfortunately though, no one seems to want to release SD content on Blu-rays (except for extras), even if it means improving the video quality over DVDs, and sometimes they even release HD interlaced content on Blu-rays (which makes no sense whatsoever, since no on has HD CRTs). So, while they could do better than DVDs for SD content, they usually don't.

But even if they were to do their best with the video quality by doing SD Blu-rays, I very much doubt that DVDs are going away any time soon. Too many people either just don't care about video quality and/or don't want to pay extra for Blu-rays. So, DVD sales likely won't be low enough for them to go away any time soon. But as much as I agree with Kougeru in that I have zero interest in DVDs and want Blu-rays for everything, I don't really see a problem with DVDs continuing to be released so long as they also release Blu-rays with the best quality video that they can. It's when you can only get SD, interlaced content with DVDs that it really sucks, and that's still far too often the case even when there's no reason why they couldn't release higher quality video (even if the quality increase were simply to get rid of the interlacing).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Hmm, so much Gundam! Will definitely get 0080 and F91. Since it looks like they're going through everything universal century now, I'm hoping they'll announce 08th MS Team and Victory next time.

true enough and i hope if its possible that there is a kickstarter project to get a dub version for victory.

though i am not too keen on war in the pocket and stardust memory. both good but unfortunately marred by endings that dont make sense. especially for 0083 which i think its ending is a lot more worse than ZZ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Will probably pick up most of the Gundam blu-rays (especially the dual audio ones) and Nadesico, might get GA.

Will probably pass on the 0080 DVD, don't want to have to double-dip on that show later.

I'm hopeful one day when they get up to it I'll finally be able to get the two seasons of Gundam 00 on blu-ray as well.

jr240483 wrote:
true enough and i hope if its possible that there is a kickstarter project to get a dub version for victory.

Yeah, I'm disappointed we couldn't get a Gundam X dub, hopefully for Victory.

I especially hope that G-Reco gets one as that would be a main reason for me to pick it up and might actually make the hyper-active dialogue somewhat more fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3