• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sweetness & Lightning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm being too critical...but who doesn't know how to cut an onion? Also how did he not know that cutting an onion makes you teary eyed? Maybe it's just because I'm a cooking fanatic, but aren't those things normal?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
tsvkkis wrote:
I don't know if I'm being too critical...but who doesn't know how to cut an onion?

*nervously raises hand*
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
tsvkkis wrote:
I don't know if I'm being too critical...but who doesn't know how to cut an onion?

*nervously raises hand*

Whoops my bad, maybe I'm the not normal one Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Amy wrote:
As fun as the elder two-thirds of its main trio are, Tsumugi is easily the highlight of the show. She's precocious without being bratty, adventurous without being foolhardy, and a fiercely devoted daughter. Even if it's in response to something that seems trivial, her crying never fails to elicit empathy.

I quite agree. Kohei and Kotori each bring their overt personal issues to the table, indeefd quite literally, and while more can be made of their respective pasts, it is currently Tsumugi's behaviour that acts as the emotional linchpin in this show's dramatic arrangement. My concern is that the ever-reliable asset the directors have constructed in Tsumugi could prove to be a crutch if a few small risks are not taken in the plot's development. While this may be a tender slice-of-life series, a few some tougher cuts would be a welcome addition to the pot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
tsvkkis wrote:
Whoops my bad, maybe I'm the not normal one Laughing

Nah, I'm just abnormally inept when it comes to food prep. Kohei actually looks pretty good next to me. Both my parents are fantastic cooks, and I really should have soaked up some of their culinary know-how before it came time to fend for myself.
Vivek2510

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody know WHY we won't get a yotsubato anime ever?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
One of the shows I was looking forward to this season, though I haven't checked it out yet. I gave the manga a look & it was fine, although I have to admit that by about chapter 18 I'd got bored of the meal of the week structure & there really wasn't much going on outside of that. As for romance, there were the occasional hints that Kotori was hot for teacher, but at least where I'd got it seemed like little more than a necessary sop to the shippers who need that kind of catnip to keep buying each issue.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Since when are baka updates manga categories to be relied upon? Fans add them and half the time they read into it stuff that isn't there. There's no romance in this.

This is my one relaxing show of the season. They're always my favorites, and this is especially nice because it's also about comfort foods. Even though I always want to eat while I'm watching...
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Vivek2510 wrote:

Same reason we'll never get a Calvin and Hobs, the author just doesn't think animation can do the work justice.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Vivek2510 wrote:

Same reason we'll never get a Calvin and Hobs, the author just doesn't think animation can do the work justice.

And more specifically that he wasn't impressed by the anime adaptation of Azumanga Daioh.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
It's really refreshing to see an anime that has a little girl as a major character and isn't creepy otaku-bait about it. Sort of like Yotsuba&!, except a little more narrative-based.

Here's hoping it doesn't go the way of Bunny Drop!

I assume this was not your intention, but please don't confuse people with Bunny Drop. The anime version is a sweet and thoughtful father-daughter story. In the manga is where the story becomes uncomfortable.
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they develop romantic feelings for each other just because I'm sick of people making a big deal about it.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
meiam wrote:
Vivek2510 wrote:

And more specifically that he wasn't impressed by the anime adaptation of Azumanga Daioh.

Which is weird considering it was really well done, better than the manga imo (although I'm bias since I watched the anime before the manga).
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Rather than be worried about Kotori and Dad's possible romance, I'm just kind of impervious to her presence. I don't think there's been a single scene since episode 1 where I thought her character actually added anything interesting/funny to the series aside from being the plot point.

The third episode in particular I noticed some pretty bad off-models and stiff animation, too. Which is sad given how the first episode was wonderful in that regard. I hope the studio didn't blow it all in the first episode.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
TheWolfhart wrote:
I really hope they develop romantic feelings for each other just because I'm sick of people making a big deal about it.

I won't lie that the Bunny Drop manga scarred me and made me skeptical of a lot of shows, but I don't feel as if this would be anywhere near that creepy. What was wrong with Bunny Drop was that (1) she was his daughter; (2) he raised her from 5 and (3) they got married when she was a teenager. If Sweetness & Lightning actually followed the Bunny Drop model and had them be romantically involved after a time skip, I would have a lot less of a problem with it because (1) she's a former student/cooking lesson friend that (2) he met when she was already 16 and (3) she'd be an adult by then. Very different scenario.

But seriously, I'm not even 100% convinced Kotori has a crush on Kouhei. Yeah, she's blushy around him...but she's blushy around everyone, she's a shy, socially-awkward girl. I see her more as craving the parent-child relationship that Kouhei and Tsumugi have that she's seriously lacking (is her fear of knives connected to why mom and dad are divorced? that could be a dark turn). Meanwhile Kouhei's clearly positioning himself as a mentor, plus, you know, his wife just died and he's still mourning her. The opening/ending credits don't pair them off together - basically all evidence points to the story being exactly what it seems to be so far. So let's all relax and just enjoy the high-quality show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8