• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! IV TV Anime Revealed for Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maciste

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
It was a long and tough wait, but finally...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
Sweet Jesus Almighty, but this is great news. Like a lot of others, I wish KyoAni was doing the honours, but then I remember that I really liked the first series and that wasn't them, so...
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
YEEEEESH!
With all these light novels getting a new season...Maybe A certain magical index can get one too =)
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
Shocked Hyped as heck!! Cool
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
Seriously looking forward to seeing some new mecha battles and perhaps the reappearance of Bonta-kun. Smile
Misopup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
As a side note, I didn't see the ADV printings of the manga as listed in the sheer wealth of material put into print. Nine volumes, as I recall.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
I guess they are going to just forget about that TSR OVA then? Wink

If it follows like a sequel from TSR they will have to come up with a better comedy ploy for Sousuke as he cannot be the same thick plank towards Chidori as he was before, but if they reset him back somehow it's an automatic fail for me.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Happy to have this confirmed. I should have read the novels by now, if only I had the time to purchase the Tokyopop releases before they became overpriced (70~150dollars a FMP, Slayers or Scrapped Princess). To get a little part of the non-adapted books will help me forgetting the frustration.

The fact the writer is directly linked to the anime is a good sign, on the other hand I remember XEBEC only for their rather poor early 2000 animations. If only GONZO was still really alive...

About that last point: does anyone know why the producers decided to hire Kyôtô Animation for The Second Raid? And why do I sense some kind of "peaceful hostility" toward GONZO's work ?(I keep seeing praises on what K.A. did for Full Metal Panic on the Internet but nothing about them)

Disclaimer: as "pretty" as Fumoffu and TSR were, I prefered the (chara-)designs seen in the first series. And I thought the computer touch worked better for GONZO.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well its about time but waiting another year for it so it better be 2 or more cours
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
I hope this is closer to the beginning of the original FMP/Fumoffu then the soulless boring mecha the last chunk of the original FMP was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
About that last point: does anyone know why the producers decided to hire Kyôtô Animation for The Second Raid? And why do I sense some kind of "peaceful hostility" toward GONZO's work ?(I keep seeing praises on what K.A. did for Full Metal Panic on the Internet but nothing about them)
This may sound like a strange form of praise, but I think they were the best middle of the road studio. Few of their shows could be considered masterpieces, but most of them are defiantly worth watching, which is in part to a lot of their shows being original works or adaptations of short and completed Mangas. And the uneven budget that most of them have, gives them a rough workmen type quality, which made a nice contrast to the high quality shows that BONES put out.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
4?

Are they skipping 3?

Probably would only watch this if Funi could manage to dub it with Luci Christian

Luci Christian works for Funimation. it would not be hard. if anything Vic mignogna and Hilary Haag would be the tough ones to get as one moved to LA and the other is primarily a sentai filmworks VA
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I hope this is closer to the beginning of the original FMP/Fumoffu then the soulless boring mecha the last chunk of the original FMP was.

I totally agreement. The 2nd season lacked magic of earlier seasons. I think I would have preferred to have had like to see Another spin off made into an Animé.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If it follows like a sequel from TSR they will have to come up with a better comedy ploy for Sousuke as he cannot be the same thick plank towards Chidori as he was before, but if they reset him back somehow it's an automatic fail for me.

They will probably just drop the comedy part entirely. Though sometimes anime versions to squeeze stuff in. Railgun S2 managed to squeeze in a ton of slice of life stuff into a serious, dark story arc. In this case specifically, like you said, if they force that stuff in there then it is basically causing a character reversal which I doubt I would be on board with.

CatSword wrote:

Well, I don't know about soulless or boring, but the majority of the content left is played primarily as straight up mecha with the rom-com dropped (actually, if the other poster was right about them skipping the 6th LN, it will be like that from the get go). So if the Sousuke's antics were a major draw for you, you might be disappointed.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I guess they are going to just forget about that TSR OVA then? Wink

Without going into too much detail, I wouldn't be expecting much comedy at all.

From where this is likely to pick up from, Full Metal Panic is going to take a very dark turn and this despairful tone will be prevalent across most of the remainder of the series. Ending Day by Day (which is what The Second Raid covers) is what really marks this turn, so if you're looking for character progression you'll find it in abundance here but if you re in for the comedy you're likely to be disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6