• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! IV TV Anime Revealed for Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
FeistyDreams wrote:
Well, don't forget that the first half of OMO isn't the major turning point. The beginning of it is slow, it's focused on Sousuke and Kaname and school, it serves a great reminder of things. There's also the elevator conversation in Sydney to reintroduce Mithril, and Tessa putting Spake in his place is a perfect way to bring us back into the TDD crew. The pacing of LN 7 is absolutely perfect to bring us back into the universe of FMP. IMO anyways lol

So how many episodes do you think this adaptation will need to finish the series?
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Tri-GuyDVD wrote:
FeistyDreams wrote:
Well, don't forget that the first half of OMO isn't the major turning point. The beginning of it is slow, it's focused on Sousuke and Kaname and school, it serves a great reminder of things. There's also the elevator conversation in Sydney to reintroduce Mithril, and Tessa putting Spake in his place is a perfect way to bring us back into the TDD crew. The pacing of LN 7 is absolutely perfect to bring us back into the universe of FMP. IMO anyways lol

So how many episodes do you think this adaptation will need to finish the series?
Depends on how faithful the adaptation is. If staff is willing to make some changes to the source material then its possible to finish it in 26 episodes. Otherwise it will probably take more than 2 cours to finish. FMP and TSR cover vol. 1 - 5. If you remove all filler and anime original episodes it takes the two seasons 26 episodes to cover 5 volumes. There are 7 volumes remaining .
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
Depends on how faithful the adaptation is. If staff is willing to make some changes to the source material then its possible to finish it in 26 episodes. Otherwise it will probably take more than 2 cours to finish. FMP and TSR cover vol. 1 - 5. If you remove all filler and anime original episodes it takes the two seasons 26 episodes to cover 5 volumes. There are 7 volumes remaining .

If you remove the side stories and anime original stuff from S1, I think it is basically down to 1 cour. TSR had several additional episodes worth of stuff thrown in as well so just the LN content wouldn't be 26 episodes. Probably more like 20-21. If they indeed skipped LN 6, they could adapt 7-12 at the same pace as the first 5 in a 2 cour anime.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Starting with an entirely different setting than the world we're used to would be an absolutely terrible reintroduction to FMP, that's why I say starting with OMF would be a disaster.] They may have to fluff things up a tiny bit, but a ton of anime start with a 1-ep intro and then into the intense plot, so there's no reason why starting with OMO would be a Bad Thing. spoiler[School council speeches, a talk between Sousuke and Hayashimizu, a snowy walk home...] That's a solid reintroduction imo.

Even if I'm exaggerating how long the quiet parts of OMO are, there's still plenty to give us a first ep and remind us of everything. Yeah it absolutely has to be able to stand on its own, but it doesn't have to tell us *everything* right at the beginning. OMO has enough in it to give us the info we need right away, and the rest of the series will reveal everything else organically.

And on the subject of How Many Episodes: Novels 9-12 have a very large amount of exposition, a lot of TELLING rather than showing, a lot lot LOT of info that, when presented in a visual format, will get cut down by an extremely significant amount. So those last 3, you can't really look at them and try to compare how long they'll take to adapt to the rest of the series.

I think... Hm...
OMO: 4 episodes
OMF: 3 episodes
MMD: 3 episodes
NOT: 2 episodes
SBM1: 1.5 episodes
SBM2: 3 episodes

Half an episode left for a slightly longer epilogue?

These are also *bare minimums* though, I'd rather see OMF get 4 episodes, NOT get 3, and SBM1 get a second full episode. SBM1 is looooooot of dry information though and all the action, everything that will need more time in animation to show, it's all in SBM2. Which I'd rather get 4 eps min. Anime hyper Whether it's 2 12-ep seasons or 1 24-ep season, it should be wrapped up nicely in that amount.

If you want me to break down why I think that much, lemme know in PM or hmu on tumblr (I run askfullmetalpanic lol), but I want to be very vague here since there seem to be a lot of people who don't know the story and I don't wanna spoil. (and also I'm rewatching the series as I type this, and they really dragged things on. s1 didn't need to be as long as it is, so it's a bad example for length. and TSR is like 80% original content so also a bad example. a reread is in my future but my copies are packed away atm so that'll have to wait until the new year)

Edit: I'd also like to note that my ideas on how many episodes would be needed have changed as the anime industry has. I used to think it'd take a lot longer, but now I can easily see it being shorter. Things are just very different from when FMP was last animated, so we really can't compare.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Zetabag wrote:

If you remove the side stories and anime original stuff from S1, I think it is basically down to 1 cour. TSR had several additional episodes worth of stuff thrown in as well so just the LN content wouldn't be 26 episodes. Probably more like 20-21. If they indeed skipped LN 6, they could adapt 7-12 at the same pace as the first 5 in a 2 cour anime.
Season 1/FMP had 3 comedy centric episodes that were not in the light novels and the homecoming arc (3 episodes ) was anime original. The episode where Mao tells Kaname how she first met Souske and Weber may or may not have been from vol.3. The first 4 episodes in TSR are definitely anime original and episode 11 (Where souske meets the hooker that looks like Kaname) is mostly anime original. Most of the scenes with the twins and Gates after episode 4 are also anime original, but I doubt tney take up more than the length of half an episode. So in the end FMP and TSR covered vol. 1-5 in about 25 episodes (give or take an episode). Even if we cut out VMC the next season still has to cover one volume more than the previous two combined . Not saying its impossible for season 4 to cover vol.7-12 with same pacing and faithfulness of FMP and TSR, but I have my doubts.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
The episode where Mao tells Kaname how she first met Souske and Weber may or may not have been from vol.3.

Ah, sorry, I forgot that episode in my post about this! (Yet I remembered it when mentioning Sigma *headdesk*) Engaging Six and Seven is a side story, it's not from ITB.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
Awww yeah!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
*his spoiler is from LN 8*
FeistyDreams wrote:
spoiler[Starting with an entirely different setting than the world we're used to would be an absolutely terrible reintroduction to FMP, that's why I say starting with OMF would be a disaster.]

I think that is why it makes sense. spoiler[ It is entirely different so things are going to be introduced at a reasonable pace and both newcomers and returning FMP anime fans will benefit from having the new situation set up and explained.] Now, I don't really think they are likely to go this route. I think skipping 6 and starting with a stupidly large info dump is the probable case, but I think they opened the possibility by deciding to skip 6 (assuming the audio drama does in fact mean that).

FeistyDreams wrote:
but it doesn't have to tell us *everything* right at the beginning. OMO has enough in it to give us the info we need right away, and the rest of the series will reveal everything else organically.

Actually it kind of does because the majority of that everything is directly relevant to the plot of LN 7 which iirc kicks off pretty early. If they were going to start with LN 6 or 8, they wouldn't need to bring up everything right away. If you're going to wait for the rest of the series to explain the events, then you might as well skip that volume in the first place because it is going to sink like a rock as a stand alone.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
I think we're having a communication error or have very very different ideas of what's needed to reintroduce us lol. I'm getting the feeling you think a lot more explicit details are necessary than really are. Any specifics you're thinking about? I think all this vague talking is making it hard for us to understand each other ^^;

::Edited to remove all my spoilers, hope no one minds Very Happy ::

Last edited by FeistyDreams on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
So, 10/25/15 has an ANN article called "Full Metal Panic! Novels Inspire New Anime Adaptation" and nearly a year later we find out it will be airing next fall. Personally, I think that is too long of a wait time between the announcement and air date. I would opt more for a spring or summer debut.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
AoT season 2, One-Punch Man season 2.. and Full Metal Panic season 4, my god... What a time to be alive!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
AoT season 2, One-Punch Man season 2.. and Full Metal Panic season 4, my god... What a time to be alive!

Supposedly more Blue Exorcist, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Space Battleship Yamato as well. 2017 can not possibly contain all that awesomeness without warping the very fabric of space and time.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
FeistyDreams wrote:
I think we're having a communication error or have very very different ideas of what's needed to reintroduce us lol. I'm getting the feeling you think a lot more explicit details are necessary than really are. Any specifics you're thinking about? I think all this vague talking is making it hard for us to understand each other ^^;

(Loooooooooots of major spoilers ahead so really really don't look if you aren't familiar with the novels/manga.)

I think you're right that trying not to talk spoilers is making this a fruitless endeavor, but I think I'm going to back out instead. Spoiler tagged or not, going into the specific merits of starting with LN 7 vs 8 would be just ridiculously huge spoilers. If it was say LN 6 spoilers, I'd feel the spoiler tag was enough, but there are enough people posting here that don't know the rest of the story, and I think you agree it would really suck if someone accidentally saw part of it.
marek1712

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Supposedly more Blue Exorcist, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Space Battleship Yamato as well. 2017 can not possibly contain all that awesomeness without warping the very fabric of space and time.

New LoGH too? 2017 best anime year since... ever!? Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

New LoGH too? 2017 best anime year since... ever!? Very Happy

Yeah from Production IG too, though I think "2017" may still be just a placeholder date for that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6