• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interviews with Monster Girls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It's also inappropriate given the power relationship involved. I started teaching college at 25 so I wasn't that much older than some of my students. While I found some of them attractive, I never considered the notion that I might have a relationship with one of them.

See, that's the funny thing. Some people get set off by a girl having a crush alone even when there's not even the slightest suggestion the teacher reciprocates. Do these people work on the assumption that no male would be able to resist taking advantage of a school girl should she prove willing? Sadly I can't deny that there are a lot of people out there who think all men are scumbags who'll rape anyone given the chance. This is why fewer men risk becoming teachers these days.

Anyways, like you said you never considered the notion of having a relationship with a student. The same goes for most of the anime teachers. Because their students are so far off their romantic radar, any affection they receive from those students won't be seen as romantic. That possibility rarely crosses their mind. In Sweetness and Lightning, spoiler[why doesn't Kouhei address Kotori's crush on him? Because he has no idea she has a crush on him. He might recognise that she has a fondness for him, but likely interprets that in a teacher-student context.] That goes for Sound! Euphonium too. spoiler[When Reina tells Taki she loves him, he interprets it as "love you as a teacher" not "love you as a man."]

Same kind of stuff on display here. Tetsuo takes Kyouko around town but is totally unaware that it's a date. Compare that to a teenage protag who would probably be all "I'm walking around town with a girl... Is this a d-d-date?!" And when he's told it's just practise the idea that he's the one she's practising for doesn't cross his mind.

So yeah, a student having a one sided crush on her teacher isn't something to worry about. Just enjoy watching her fumble around, blushing and being all adorable.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd at least assume that the school wouldn't approve that a teacher goes around town with a student. Like inappropriate to get too close to one particular student or something like that. I'm not sure what kind of practices schools have when it comes to that kind of stuff though.

Vaisaga wrote:
that no male would be able to resist taking advantage of a school girl should she prove willing?

I'm not sure I'd be able to resist. So there you have it. 100% of males wouldn't be able to resist. Flawless statistics provided by yours truly. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
that no male would be able to resist taking advantage of a school girl should she prove willing?

I'm not sure I'd be able to resist. So there you have it. 100% of males wouldn't be able to resist. Flawless statistics provided by yours truly. Wink

Heh, I have a long-time friend who's always insisted that he could never be a middle/high school teacher for exactly this reason. (And he's got what I would call a "pretty boy" look about him, so he'd almost certainly get some student romantic attention.) Never been an issue for me; even a hint of such behavior is career suicide, so I don't even let myself think in that direction. Stories about teachers who get arrested/sent to jail because they can't resist pop up in the news often enough to serve as a vivid reminder, too.

Blood- wrote:

And by the way yuna49, I hate to be nosy but if your Dad was 30 in 1930 how old are you??? Or does the 49 in your usernic tell me what year you were born in?

He's indicated before that he's among the oldest (if not the oldest) regularly-posting forumite. I know he's at least in his 50s, if not his 60s.

Anyway, concerning this series more directly, Hikari is rapidly becoming my favorite character of the new season. While Machi isn't as dynamic, I loved the little detail work about her. The business about her head getting motion sickness when the teacher is carrying it around, and how that's explained, was a particularly interesting touch, as is what she does with her head while sleeping at night or how putting something in her flame might affect her. It's the body language, too, like when she looks at her phone to make a note after going to bed at night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
I believe Alan45 has the distinction of being the oldest poster here. The 45 in his nic denotes the year of his birth so he will be 72 at some point this year. Kinda makes feel like a spring chicken at 51. Wink

Hikari so far is my favourite character, too. I like her cheekiness. I'm looking forward to "her" episode whenever it comes. I am curious about the Succubus though and she's getting her episode next if the preview can be relied upon.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yup, Alan45 is four years older than me. I'm 67.

Kouhei is pretty clueless about much outside of his school responsibilities and caring for Tsumugi during the time the anime covers. Coping with the sudden death of one's wife and becoming solely responsible for a small child will do that to you. I became a single father for different reasons, but the issues were the same.

As for Taki-sensei,
spoiler[I'm sure he's quite aware of Reina's feelings for him by the way he eludes the issue in the final episode.]

As for resisting attractive students, I was teaching at a university where all the students were of age. Some of the graduate students were only a year two younger than me if that. So unlike the high-school teachers we're discussing here, the age gap wasn't the issue. It's the power and authority relationship.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
I don't claim to be the oldest one posting here, but no one has admitted to being any older. I have a cold at the moment so I feel older than dirt.

On the subject of teacher/student romances, I remember reading several years ago that on some college campuses a proposal to ban such relationships was fought tooth and nail by both students and faculty. They pointed out that everyone involved was adults and that, as noted, the age gap was in many cases slender or non existent. This was back when my generation was coming back from Vietnam and going to school on the GI Bill. Many students were older than the faculty. They ended up with a rule against such relationships while the student was in the teacher's class and strong language about demanding sex for grades.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I heartily maintain that the unfair drive against "sex for grades" is what has lead to the inevitable decline in education standards...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

I don't know about that. Are you sure you want your grade to reflect your performance ?? Cool It might be easier to just study the course material. You never know what a prim and proper teacher may be into.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, assuming that speed was the prime criterion for measuring performance, I'd be assured of A+! Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Succubus-sensei's demi powers are working on me too. In any case I fully support a workplace romance between her and Takahashi. I'm a bit surprised that she didn't discourage Machi's crush on Takahashi.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also expected succubus to discourage the crush gently, but she did continue that part of the conversation by reminding herself Machi is just a child, so she probably doesnt think it'll go anywhere.

I really REALLY enjoyed how the episode began - making us wonder why she would live so far away, and then slowly answering it with what felt like very acceptable exposition. At episode 1, I thought maybe succubus avoided men because she herself had trouble restraining her own desires, but it makes sense that the men are the ones affected; her own emotions aren't influenced at all.

I had this feeling scratching at me the entire episode, that I had seen a similar style of directing somewhere before, and the end of the episode I realized that it very much has a The World God Only Knows feel to it. Especially the first two seasons. And I loved TWGOK, so it's no wonder I ended up loving Demi from episode 1 Smile

Also, kudos to sensei for keeping his composure until the moment he was out of sight Anime hyper
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Every word that comes out of all the girls' mouths is just praising and extolling the teacher. Don't these girls have any desires or motivations that don't revolve around the teacher? Can't they discuss anything else for once?

Really didn't like that after the kiss the teacher had no reaction other than to smile. No. Just no. You can't have that without a stern reprimand because now vampire girl has the idea that kissing the teacher was okay and it even made him smile.

Also, teacher is not a particularly good teacher. Hitting those two boys, even lightly, just because he wanted to talk to the snow girl is not something that a teacher should be doing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
I got the impression that the hit was really not a hit out of cause pain, but a sort of playfulness that the best teachers can kind of be, the ones that can feel like on the level of their students without being too un-authoritive.

It was fun following succubus sensei, although her traits put some strain on her life. She talked about willpower, but she had to fully drop once able back at her place, thought it was great that Takahashi was able to keep his cool, probably because it partially allowed her to not feel embarrassed. And the talk was good, which I especially liked the talk about maturity, being a young adult myself I only recently talked with my cousin around my age and has kids about the way you view mature adults when you are younger until you supposedly become one.

And looks like we may be getting into bullying now and feeling separated due to traits, which was something I was looking forward to, for it actually being the hard part rather than just all fun.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I got the impression that the hit was really not a hit out of cause pain, but a sort of playfulness that the best teachers can kind of be, the ones that can feel like on the level of their students without being too un-authoritive.

This is what I thought as well. He just lightly tapped them on the head to get their attention. It shows that he is close enough with his students to be able to do that. And he probably wouldn't do that to someone like the Snow Girl.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
I kind of liked the first episode, but then...
Megiddo wrote:
Every word that comes out of all the girls' mouths is just praising and extolling the teacher. Don't these girls have any desires or motivations that don't revolve around the teacher? Can't they discuss anything else for once?

This. I was a little put off by it. The show seems to have spent a fair amount of time teasing around romance and sexuality. It feels like otaku baiting. The characters are charming enough can we move on to something else or if not actually deal with it in an interesting way? Hopefully, the show will do something different soon. Oh, wait snow girl hasn't experienced how nice sensei is yet, maybe I'll have to sit thru another episode of another student getting weak kneed over sensei's biceps. Seriously have none of them met a nice "dependable" male before? Is this something that they are in short supply of in Japan? Rolling Eyes

Oh and Succubus-sensei? Get a freaking car or a motorcycle. Then you don't have to get up at 4am and get home in the dead of night in order to miss the crowds.

The show can be cute, but sometimes it annoys me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5