• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Launches Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be a standalone offering for anime fans not interested in the rest of Prime's services, but it's the opposite? Oh dear. Laughing
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Hooray for more fragmentation in the market!

Well, on the bright side it's only at worst returning us to the pre Crunchy-Funi tieup state from last year.

I doubt this will be an issue with the small amount of anime Amazon currently licences for streaming.
Kidkidd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
So whats this make now? If i want to make sure i can watch anime, i need this, netflix, crunchyroll, funimation, daisuki, and even then im not guaranteed they'll carry all the shows im interested in each season?
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Hooray for more fragmentation in the market!

Well, on the bright side it's only at worst returning us to the pre Crunchy-Funi tieup state from last year.

I doubt this will be an issue with the small amount of anime Amazon currently licences for streaming.

That's why I said "at worst." Either they license enough for you to want to subscribe or not, but if you do, then (if already a Prime member) you pay as much as you paid for whichever one of Crunchy-Funi you dropped after the merger. I might be extrapolating too much from our own experience, as we only wanted subs but not dubs, and I assume some people are the reverse. Some people may want both, which is worse.

"Currently" also does a lot there, as it may well be that Amazon is going to ramp up the licensing even more. It also looks like Sentai is preferring Amazon as a streaming partner for already licensed shows, and shifting away from Crunchyroll after the CR-Funi tieup. (As a home media only company, Sentai prefers to partner with streaming only companies, naturally.)

For stuff going forwards, looks like Crunchy or Funi depending on sub v dub preference, Amazon, Netflix, then some way to get Viz stuff (Hulu?). I have never found Daisuki necessary.

In practical reality, not subscribing to some services and going a la carte (home video or not) if they only have one or two shows is always an option. We've done that for Viz, though the wait can be annoying.

Last edited by John Thacker on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Well, the whole availability issue makes sense now. I won't be paying for this and I'll just pirate whatever I have to.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I thought this was going to be a standalone offering for anime fans not interested in the rest of Prime's services, but it's the opposite? Oh dear. Laughing

Yeah, that appears to be the case. I find it interesting that Amazon would mention how anime viewers are under served by traditional TV, while unveiling something that follows the same pricing strategy. Needing to have Amazon Prime would be comparable to requiring basic cable that you don't necessarily want, and then having an extra fee for Anime Strike is comparable to the cable company charging more the the channels that you do want that aren't in the basic plan.

Personally, I didn't see anything that would make me pay extra, especially when I already have a Funimation subscription that adds lots of new shows each season on top of my own backlog of shows that I've been trying to get to when I have the time.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing their mentality is, "Most of our customers already have Amazon Prime, right? So, if they want anime, what's a measly $5 more a month? lol"

Except that mentality is stupid. Sad

Last edited by Raebo101 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Uh, no. Just no. Charging an extra fee above Prime's annual cost is not going to fly. Not here anyway and we are loyal Amazon Prime customers.

Mark Gosdin
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
In the age of brick & mortar retailers dying faster than ever, there are still people who dont use AMZN Prime services? I also believe there is tons of crossover of AMZN Prime users and anime fans.

Anyway, signed up, Accel World dub is great and more need to watch it.

-

I dont understand why Battery is just left as regular Prime but not anime strike.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
This is a complete rip off and I made sure to tell Amazon Video what I thought of this.

Anazon Video getting this Fuji deal is the worst thing ever.
AndresP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
I understand, on its own, $5/month isn't that much but it's another example of 'death by a thousand monthly subscriptions'. Personally, I'm not sure if it's worth the extra expense. What annoys me more than the extra expense is that if this succeeds then everyone will do it. Like those Netflix originals? Yeah, that will be $2 more per month. Like watching the latest season of anime shows? Yeah, that ain't covered by your base subscription.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
AndresP wrote:
I understand, on its own, $5/month isn't that much

The problem is that it's NOT on it's own. It REQUIRES a Prime Subscription. So really, it's $159.88 a year just to watch a few shows. Sure, there's other benefits but the point is that you HAVE to pay 159.88 if your goal is simply to watch anime.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
For reasons others have stated I find this unacceptable. $5 on top of the Prime service I already pay for isn't going to fly with me, especially when I don't support the existence of services that fragment the market further in the first place. I know this isn't cool to say around here but I'll happily watch their exclusive series through *other means*... it's the only way I could enjoy them without feeling sleazy ironically.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
AndresP wrote:
I understand, on its own, $5/month isn't that much

The problem is that it's NOT on it's own. It REQUIRES a Prime Subscription. So really, it's $159.88 a year just to watch a few shows. Sure, there's other benefits but the point is that you HAVE to pay 159.88 if your goal is simply to watch anime.

Well for 159.88, just avoid going to eat at the best buffet in the USA once a month and you can easily afford it.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Well for 159.88, just avoid going to eat at the best buffet in the USA once a month and you can easily afford it.

And if you don't splurge on a buffet once a month?

Eventually people are going to run out of things to cut out.

Best of luck to Amazon, but no thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10