• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Launches on March 3 for US$299.99

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
US$299.99 in North America.

Ehh im okay with that.
Quote:
The Switch will have a paid online service

Well damn that one if the few things that made the wii u good.
Quote:
have no region locking for games

Neat
Quote:
80 games in development for the console.

Names? already know im getting Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic project 2017
Quote:
The console's battery life will be from 2.5 to 6 hours, depending on the game.

I expected as much but i wont be using the portable features so i cant complain.
Quote:
Joy-Con controllers

Dont really care for this.
Quote:
The Pro controller is sold separately.

F#CK
KaitouX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
$300 seems reasonable price but then I remember that I live in Canada so the price gonna be $399 for us.
So... the same price? At the moment 299 USD is worth 392 CAD.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
Was surprised by the complete lack of launch titles that were shown during the Nintendo stream last night. Also has there been any clarification on the "download and play one game for free for a month" line on their website? Will it be like other console subscriptions where you keep the title for as long as you pay for the subscription or will it actually disappear after a month?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
It costs too much, the 'portable' branding will prevent people from paying that much money (especially after a decade of the DS prices as being the standard)

Lord Oink wrote:
Mario Adventure
Fire Emblem Musou
Proper SquareEnix RPG
Xenoblade 2
No More Heroes 3
SMT V
Zelda
Splatoon 2

More than enough reason for me to get it.

It'll be years before all those are out :S
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ambimunch"]

Lord Oink wrote:
Mario Adventure
Fire Emblem Musou
Proper SquareEnix RPG
Xenoblade 2
No More Heroes 3
SMT V
Zelda
Splatoon 2

Mario is being set up as their big holiday title.

Fire Emblem Warriors is getting a Direct next week, meaning it's most likely going to be out this year.

Zelda: BotW is a launch title and Splatoon 2 is a summer title.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

A good chunk of those titles are coming out this year if things goes as planned.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully around tax time my husband and I can try to get a Switch, although we also want a Wii U. Some of the titles right now might be interesting to us, plus there's rumors about a new Pokemon game that might be for the Switch, so I'm thinking we'll be trying to get this before we try to get the Wii U.

I'm hoping that we don't need to have an online account to play things, though... we don't connect our systems to the Internet. If we have to keep it online to play games, I might be changing my mind.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
$300 is a bit on the pricey side, but it's somewhat tolerable, at least for myself. The fact that the Nintendo Switch is region-free means that people that choose to import titles from Japan and Europe won't have to have to buy the Japanese console. However, now that I have to pay to go online, I won't be making any use of any online services on the NS unless the fee is cheap.

And before anyone brings it up, yes, I know Sony featured paid online service on the PlayStation. If I had a PlayStation console, I wouldn't use its online service as well.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Who would have thunk the paid online stuff would be an actual norm for the consoles? It's kind of a bummer. $299 is pretty much the maximum limit price I expected out of the Switch. Now the question is will there be a plentiful supply once it launches.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Hopefully around tax time my husband and I can try to get a Switch, although we also want a Wii U. Some of the titles right now might be interesting to us, plus there's rumors about a new Pokemon game that might be for the Switch, so I'm thinking we'll be trying to get this before we try to get the Wii U.

I'm hoping that we don't need to have an online account to play things, though... we don't connect our systems to the Internet. If we have to keep it online to play games, I might be changing my mind.

Nintendo's thing is that they want to make their play experience as stable as possible and as hardy as possible. This is the company that made the famous Game Boy with a still-working Tetris a soldier lost in the desert in Iraq for a decade and some change. I don't think they'll ever require you to be online at all times, as not only is this inherently unstable, Nintendo is a company that doesn't yet fully understand online play anyway. I think they'll continue to let you play offline because it'smore robust that way. (And while the Wii and Wii U are not made of Nintendium, the Wii Remotes and GamePad certainly are!)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
Wow either Nintendo planted their own employees on ANN as fake accounts, somebody is getting paid.

Its price is way too high. You can get ps4 or xbox for the same or lesser price.

Its technology is dated and inferior. Its technically a generation ahead of the ps4 and xbox one , but is inferior to both, not the updated models, but to the original base models.

Dated techonology is going to lead to the problem Nintendo has had for the two past generations. No 3rd party support. Seriously Skyrim is their big announcement in terms of 3rd party, and from what it sounds like its not even the definitive version, just the vanilla one.

The battery life is laughable. And the response are well, I won't use it as a handheld. Congratulations, you basically negated the whole point of the hybrid. And like most estimates, I imagine the life worse than what they stated.

So you can't use as console because it has dated technology that maxes out at 900p, and cant use it as a handheld because the battery life is ridiculous short.

Oh and their paid system, well Sony lets you keep your games as long as you keep your subscription, and xbox lets you keep them indefinitely, and Nintendo........you play a single nes/snes game per month, but only for that one month, and then the game is gone.

And lets not forget its massive 32gb hardrive, Ie smaller than a lot of phones. And before you say well you can buy an external harddrive, no it only take microsd cards. And then that would increase the consoles price point even before buying a single game, to close to 400.

And then they can't even include 1 2 switch with the bundle, they expect people to pay money for what is basically a freeware game, and fifty bucks at that.

And the only thing they did right , region free is something most of the others had for two generations now, why is Nintendo getting any praise. It should be about dam time.

Luckily enough the market seems to function on something resembling thought and rationale unlike Nintendo fans, and the price of shares continue to fall with each new announcement relating to the switch.

Hopefully after the embarrassment that was the wii u and its 14 million lifetime sales, and probably similar numbers from the switch, the dead dog is finally taken out back shot, so the vultures can rip apart its corpse and salvage the only thing Nintendo has to its name its gaming ips.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
What console generations have there been where the most technologically advanced system was the best seller of that generation? Nintendo is doing as it's always been doing: It keeps behind the other two technologically because it doesn't care about the specs race. The NES was a generation behind and destroyed the other systems of its generation. Same with the Wii. It's never been a problem with Nintendo, because the people at Nintendo know that the general public doesn't care which system is the most advanced.

I'm also not seeing how you can't believe there can be so much hype here. If anything, I think you're being way too pessimistic. (But your accusation of Nintendo fans lacking thought and reason indicates a grudge against Nintendo or people who like Nintendo games.)
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Wow either Nintendo planted their own employees on ANN as fake accounts, somebody is getting paid.

"People disagree with me, they must have ulterior motives".

Quote:
Its price is way too high. You can get ps4 or xbox for the same or lesser price.

You mean I can get Nintendo's Brand Spanking new console for the same price as a PS4 or XBone AFTER price drops? Neat.

Quote:
Its technology is dated and inferior. Its technically a generation ahead of the ps4 and xbox one , but is inferior to both, not the updated models, but to the original base models.

Ugh, people who obsess over technology and specs are just the worst.

Quote:
Dated techonology is going to lead to the problem Nintendo has had for the two past generations. No 3rd party support. Seriously Skyrim is their big announcement in terms of 3rd party, and from what it sounds like its not even the definitive version, just the vanilla one.

The technology was never the reason the Wii and WiiU had trouble with 3rd party support. Developers were just too lazy to develop for the slightly different interface of those consoles. The Switch already have a lot of developers lined up besides Bethesda.

Quote:
The battery life is laughable. And the response are well, I won't use it as a handheld. Congratulations, you basically negated the whole point of the hybrid. And like most estimates, I imagine the life worse than what they stated.

I wish the battery time was better, but it is not laughable. 2,5-6 hours averages out to somewhere close to the 3DS, which is pretty decent. And most people who would use it as a handheld would do so for shorter trips. No one specifically goes out to use a handheld for hours at a time while constantly moving with no access to power outlets.

Quote:
So you can't use as console because it has dated technology that maxes out at 900p, and cant use it as a handheld because the battery life is ridiculous short.

You can use it as a console fine if you aren't an obsessive creep who cares too much about framerates. And you can use it as a handheld fine if you use it specifically for playtime OUTSIDE the house and don't spend all of your outdoor time over a screen.

Quote:
Oh and their paid system, well Sony lets you keep your games as long as you keep your subscription, and xbox lets you keep them indefinitely, and Nintendo........you play a single nes/snes game per month, but only for that one month, and then the game is gone.

Sounds pretty bad, but I don't think we have heard anything concrete on their online service yet.

Quote:
And lets not forget its massive 32gb hardrive, Ie smaller than a lot of phones. And before you say well you can buy an external harddrive, no it only take microsd cards. And then that would increase the consoles price point even before buying a single game, to close to 400.

I have yet to meet a single person who uses more than 30GB of their harddrive.

Quote:
And then they can't even include 1 2 switch with the bundle, they expect people to pay money for what is basically a freeware game, and fifty bucks at that.

That does sound bad, but I expect retailers to include something with most bundles.

Quote:
And the only thing they did right , region free is something most of the others had for two generations now, why is Nintendo getting any praise. It should be about dam time.

A better question is why do you think 300 bucks for a brand new console is outrageously high but give the PS4s 500 dollar launch price a pass?

Quote:
Luckily enough the market seems to function on something resembling thought and rationale unlike Nintendo fans, and the price of shares continue to fall with each new announcement relating to the switch.

Investors always buy during the hype and sell after announcements. It is the oldest tactic in the book. They were also against the Wii and that turned out to be a massive household hit.

Quote:
Hopefully after the embarrassment that was the wii u and its 14 million lifetime sales, and probably similar numbers from the switch, the dead dog is finally taken out back shot, so the vultures can rip apart its corpse and salvage the only thing Nintendo has to its name its gaming ips.

"look at me mom, aren't I edgy?"

Seriously though, I'm not sure how well the Switch will do, but the worst case scenario is unlikely to be anything worse than: Nintendo pulls out of the console market and continues to OWN the handhelds. Possibly outsourcing their IPs to other consoles.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I wold agree with most of what you said, except for this:

johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
The technology was never the reason the Wii and WiiU had trouble with 3rd party support. Developers were just too lazy to develop for the slightly different interface of those consoles. The Switch already have a lot of developers lined up besides Bethesda.

The Wii and Wii U really WERE very different than their competitors and made it difficult to port a game from the other system to Nintendo's because it was so different, such that many of them either outsourced another company to do so or made a different Nintendo system version altogether. I remember reading about how EA's people get frustrated by this over the years as they are contractually required by the NFL to make Madden NFL games for every major game system--they pretty much rebuild the game from scratch for them.

The alternative is to make a game for a Nintendo system and then port them to the others, but then you run into the other system owners' complaining about the graphics being terrible or somesuch. The only exceptions so far have been indie games like Mutant Mudds and Chronos Twins that are very undemanding of the system's processing power.

johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:

I'd like to mention that some popular smartphones have battery lives that comically short and people put up with it anyway, indicating to me that, while they see a short battery life as annoying, it is rarely a deal breaker for when someone wants to buy a new portable electronic device.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Nintendo's thing is that they want to make their play experience as stable as possible and as hardy as possible. This is the company that made the famous Game Boy with a still-working Tetris a soldier lost in the desert in Iraq for a decade and some change. I don't think they'll ever require you to be online at all times, as not only is this inherently unstable, Nintendo is a company that doesn't yet fully understand online play anyway. I think they'll continue to let you play offline because it'smore robust that way. (And while the Wii and Wii U are not made of Nintendium, the Wii Remotes and GamePad certainly are!)
This is very true, but with how gaming seems to be progressing more and more to online-centric and online-only play, I do fear Nintendo one day going the same route as Microsoft and Sony. Anime hyper So hopefully they won't be going to that for a long time.

Or at least until my husband and I can get our own place with a far better internet connection that isn't being sucked up constantly by our roommates' constant online gaming, although at that point we're just going to have to hope for games we can play alone and not force us into a multi-player only experience. We both really HATE multi-player games, unless it's just the two of us or my brother and mother playing with us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3